Why doesn't the tour enforce pace of play?

Just saw this on Instagram. Interesting that this is all
Of a sudden becoming a huge focus in the game
a4a9edyh.jpg

Wow a min and 15 secs?!?! I would like to see the PGA enforce some type of pace if play with these guys. It tends to get carried away quite often with the pre shot routines. I'd be amazed if this is how they practice as well, which I highly doubt.

Wow a min and 15 secs?!?! I would like to see the PGA enforce some type of pace if play with these guys. It tends to get carried away quite often with the pre shot routines. I'd be amazed if this is how they practice as well, which I highly doubt.

I know. I was blown away when I saw that too. I couldn't imagine playing in the same group as him. Or behind him

I did not watch this weekend so I had to look up a clip of this Loupe guy. Nauseating. He did play well though so there is that.

Because they are all bark and no bite!

I think they should spread the tee times out farther so that guys aren't waiting every to hit the their second from the get go. I see the same problem at local courses starters wanting you to tee off as soon as the group ahead has hit their second. All every 9 minute tee off do is slow everyone down because your constantly waiting to hit. Spread the tee times to 12 mins and force the players to keep that pace.

Nothing will be done. It will fade away, just like it does every time.

Would we mind the PGA Tour rounds being as long as they are if our club rounds and amateur/hacker rounds in general would consistently be 3-3,5 hours?

Would we mind the PGA Tour rounds being as long as they are if our club rounds and amateur/hacker rounds in general would consistently be 3-3,5 hours?

I think so. Either that or they have to start earlier in the day (which they wont do for ratings).

On a side note, Howard stern talking about the bababooyee been yelled at PGA events. Too funny

If they got tour rounds to four hrs that'd be a heck of a start IMO.

Ultimately the TV dollars are what the PGA Tour cares about. If the rounds fit into the slotted time for coverage I find it hard to believe they will ever do anything about it.

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

They DO enforce pace of play. You know, if you are a 14 year old amateur playing in your first ever event.

They DO enforce pace of play. You know, if you are a 14 year old amateur playing in your first ever event.

As long as they keep it up quicker players will become the norm in the next decade

Thank you... the commentators kept saying a slow play penalty hasn't happened on tour since 1995 or something, but i could have sworn that boy got dinged a stroke last year and the majority of people felt he had been picked on...and what is his name again?

Thank you... the commentators kept saying a slow play penalty hasn't happened on tour since 1995 or something, but i could have sworn that boy got dinged a stroke last year and the majority of people felt he had been picked on...and what is his name again?

Guan Tianlan

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.

The tour does enforce it. But, with what they are dealing with, the current policy looks like a failure to the average golfer. When you put 156 players on a course, with 6" rough and 12-14 stimp greens, and 100K's riding on each stroke, slow play is inevitable. The player's group will not agree to fewer players in a field. And, the Tour probably won't do anything to make courses play any easier.

Anytime slow play is discussed during an event, either by the broadcasters or by TGC, I highly recommend following Bob Estes on Twitter. He provides lots of great insight from inside the ropes and is not shy about stating opinions and facts on the matter.

The tour does enforce it. But, with what they are dealing with, the current policy looks like a failure to the average golfer. When you put 156 players on a course, with 6" rough and 12-14 stimp greens, and 100K's riding on each stroke, slow play is inevitable. The player's group will not agree to fewer players in a field. And, the Tour probably won't do anything to make courses play any easier.

Anytime slow play is discussed during an event, either by the broadcasters or by TGC, I highly recommend following Bob Estes on Twitter. He provides lots of great insight from inside the ropes and is not shy about stating opinions and facts on the matter.

It sure does take time...But it does not have to. If every single player was accountable to the same time restrictions, it would be weird at first. Then the complaining and with in 2 years the way of life on the tour. Walking inside the ropes gives perspective and watching these guys on the greens is no wonder they are mimmicked on the weekends with their success. 90 seconds to line up and putt from 4 feet? That is absolute crazy talk and it only takes 1-2 players and then the snow ball from there leads to massive rounds time wise.

With every sport at the professional level, time restraints have changed over the years to speed up the game. Every single one of them had the same blow back of too much on the line, it takes time, etc. Yet all have been implemented and accepted. With the exception of golf.

After this weekend, this issue needs to be fixed right away. Almost 2 minutes to hit your ball wow! 3 hours for 9 holes I mean c'mon. Get your game together, fellows. I think after they have be warned 2 times they should be disqualified. That will teach them pretty quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sure does take time...But it does not have to. If every single player was accountable to the same time restrictions, it would be weird at first. Then the complaining and with in 2 years the way of life on the tour. Walking inside the ropes gives perspective and watching these guys on the greens is no wonder they are mimmicked on the weekends with their success. 90 seconds to line up and putt from 4 feet? That is absolute crazy talk and it only takes 1-2 players and then the snow ball from there leads to massive rounds time wise.

With every sport at the professional level, time restraints have changed over the years to speed up the game. Every single one of them had the same blow back of too much on the line, it takes time, etc. Yet all have been implemented and accepted. With the exception of golf.

I agree with that. But, I'm trying to look at pace of play on tour and separate from how the average golfer starts mimicking what they see on TV. I think the tour's issue is that there are too many "what ifs". Yes, the tour does have a "shot clock". Yes, the tour has rules on keeping up with the group in front of you. But, I think the tour will allow a player more time on a shot, if that group is waiting on the group ahead of them on every shot. So, there is no penalty for the player/group if he takes 90 seconds to putt, if that same player is going to walk to the next tee and be waiting on the group ahead of him.

If the shot clock and fine were always in play, regardless of what your position is on the course, it would help. And, there should be a hard/fast rule. The rule shouldn't depend on whether it's Thurs/Fri or if it's Sunday afternoon and you are in the final group. It would hurt at first. But, can you imagine an actual shot clock running in each group, and fans staring a 10, 9, 8, 7... countdown. Talk about tightening up the sphincter. haha! But, you are correct. It would take a couple of years of adjustment. But, the short term pain is worth the long term gain.

But, the downside of the current rules are that the group is warned, not the player. That is absolutely brutal!

The AJGA has a wonderful model in place for pace of play. Those kids are taught to not mess around when it coming to completing a hole.

I agree with that. But, I'm trying to look at pace of play on tour and separate from how the average golfer starts mimicking what they see on TV. I think the tour's issue is that there are too many "what ifs". Yes, the tour does have a "shot clock". Yes, the tour has rules on keeping up with the group in front of you. But, I think the tour will allow a player more time on a shot, if that group is waiting on the group ahead of them on every shot. So, there is no penalty for the player/group if he takes 90 seconds to putt, if that same player is going to walk to the next tee and be waiting on the group ahead of him.

If the shot clock and fine were always in play, regardless of what your position is on the course, it would help. And, there should be a hard/fast rule. The rule shouldn't depend on whether it's Thurs/Fri or if it's Sunday afternoon and you are in the final group. It would hurt at first. But, can you imagine an actual shot clock running in each group, and fans staring a 10, 9, 8, 7... countdown. Talk about tightening up the sphincter. haha! But, you are correct. It would take a couple of years of adjustment. But, the short term pain is worth the long term gain.

But, the downside of the current rules are that the group is warned, not the player. That is absolutely brutal!

The AJGA has a wonderful model in place for pace of play. Those kids are taught to not mess around when it coming to completing a hole.

Was just about to comment on the ole yellow card AJGA system. Once these guys get out on tour I think the pace of play will slowing increase

I think that they need to really start at lower levels if players grow up playing quicker it will be ingrained in them by the time they get to the tour
I don't know. If even one errant shot can cost me a million dollars, I'm taking as much time as they'll give me!

Teaching them won't mean anything IMO if it doesn't come with a stiff penalty for enforcement.

Ultimately the TV dollars are what the PGA Tour cares about. If the rounds fit into the slotted time for coverage I find it hard to believe they will ever do anything about it.

I agree. They will do nothing.

Pace of play is a huge issue for people, but I'm not certain that today's players are that much slower than there predecessors, my guess is there have always been slow players and fast players. The media is so much more involved though nowadays.

What I can't stand watching a person line their ball up for putts. I suppose this is relatively new thing.

I think some sort of shot clock idea would be a good fix.

Back