Voice Caddie Swing Caddie SC100 Review

Great thoughts rye!

I did have someone at the range today ask me about mine and what exactly it did. Was happy to share the info.

So ddec and I hit the range with this thing tonight and it was a blast! Dean laughed when I got there because it was still in the USPS packaging that it was mailed in. I tore open the package, put the batteries in, and starting whacking away. I didn't take time to read the instructions, but it was easy enough to figure out the buttons (I never took the remote out of the box!). For a while, we simply just hit balls and checked the distances. I thought they were pretty accurate. Then we finished off our large buckets by putting it in random mode and hitting 10 balls. Dean ended up with 83 points, and I ended up with 80 (son of a!). I did hit one right on the button (74 yards) and garnered 11 points for that one shot. All others I seemed to fly too far.

Going forward...this gives me SO many more things to work on at the range than simply pounding balls.

I also did a little...ahem...driver comparisons. Best I could do with the Big Bertha was 257 yards. Best I could do with the Cleveland Classic XLC with Miyazaki Kusula white was 261 yards. Best I could do with the XGC6 and UST TourSPX shaft was 267 yards. And don't tell anyone, but I hit ddec's Covert with Miyazaki B.Asha 4s consistently over 270...with the last one being right at 279. All this brings up one slight hesitation with the Voice Caddie. I can see myself (and others) falling into the trap of just trying to pound the ball...especially for club ho's like myself. That being said, I really liked the random mode, and fully hope​ to utilize that feature moreso than the others.

Random target mode seems like my favorite of the modes. The carry and such is interesting, but the target mode is a game while you practice. That's hard to beat

Yep going to have to buy one.

- I'm going to have to rig something up in order to hit driver because the rubber tees at the range I frequent are too far back. I'm afraid of hitting the unit on the back swing. I think a 2 x 4 which would allow the unit to sit at a similar height as the mat should work just fine.

A couple sleeves of balls work fine to prop the SC100 up to be level with most mats. Just put one sleeve under the device and one under the kickstand. Having it level helps a lot with readouts.

For hitting it on the back swing I'm not sure that is possible. I'm 6'2 and have a wide ark and never come close. I set the device at 50" behind where I have the tee. To make this easy I measured a string and cut it to 50" and just use it when I get to the range to know where to place the SC100. If that seems to close it works up to around 60".

A couple sleeves of balls work fine to prop the SC100 up to be level with most mats. Just put one sleeve under the device and one under the kickstand. Having it level helps a lot with readouts.

For hitting it on the back swing I'm not sure that is possible. I'm 6'2 and have a wide ark and never come close. I set the device at 50" behind where I have the tee. To make this easy I measured a string and cut it to 50" and just use it when I get to the range to know where to place the SC100.

Being a tall guy that is great to know.

I'm going to have to rig something up in order to hit driver because the rubber tees at the range I frequent are too far back. I'm afraid of hitting the unit on the back swing. I think a 2 x 4 which would allow the unit to sit at a similar height as the mat should work just fine.

For hitting it on the back swing I'm not sure that is possible. I'm 6'2 and have a wide ark and never come close. I set the device at 50" behind where I have the tee. To make this easy I measured a string and cut it to 50" and just use it when I get to the range to know where to place the SC100.
I didn't get real scientific with this, just simply placed it behind the ball. There was one time where I definitely moved my eyes from the ball to the device in my backswing, and kept them there and hit a terrible ball, but other than that one swing, I didn't even know the device was there. And that's also with Dean moving it back once because he thought my club was pretty close to hitting it in the back swing.

Yep going to have to buy one.
Absolute no brainer man. It's only been out of the package for 4 hours, and I'm already looking forward to getting it back out on the range Thursday.

So ddec and I hit the range with this thing tonight and it was a blast! Dean laughed when I got there because it was still in the USPS packaging that it was mailed in. I tore open the package, put the batteries in, and starting whacking away. I didn't take time to read the instructions, but it was easy enough to figure out the buttons (I never took the remote out of the box!). For a while, we simply just hit balls and checked the distances. I thought they were pretty accurate. Then we finished off our large buckets by putting it in random mode and hitting 10 balls. Dean ended up with 83 points, and I ended up with 80 (son of a!). I did hit one right on the button (74 yards) and garnered 11 points for that one shot. All others I seemed to fly too far.

Going forward...this gives me SO many more things to work on at the range than simply pounding balls.

I also did a little...ahem...driver comparisons. Best I could do with the Big Bertha was 257 yards. Best I could do with the Cleveland Classic XLC with Miyazaki Kusula white was 261 yards. Best I could do with the XGC6 and UST TourSPX shaft was 267 yards. And don't tell anyone, but I hit ddec's Covert with Miyazaki B.Asha 4s consistently over 270...with the last one being right at 279. All this brings up one slight hesitation with the Voice Caddie. I can see myself (and others) falling into the trap of just trying to pound the ball...especially for club ho's like myself. That being said, I really liked the random mode, and fully hope​ to utilize that feature moreso than the others.

Certainly had fun with this thing tonight. The random mode was a lot of fun. Most of the yardages it was giving me were in the 45 - 90 range. Absolutely loved that.

Oh and Pete is going to ponder a covert now. He was mashing that thing, the numbers were quite impressive.

Rye and O'C, awesome thoughts guys!!

Interesting that conversations about range balls potentially causing issues -- I wonder what kind of percentage if any is present.

Rye and O'C, awesome thoughts guys!!

Interesting that conversations about range balls potentially causing issues -- I wonder what kind of percentage if any is present.
I was having so much fun with the SC100, I paid NO attention to the quality (or lack of) range balls that we were using. And believe me, this range is open all year, and some of those balls have been sitting in snow since January, so we were hitting some stinkers.

I was having so much fun with the SC100, I paid NO attention to the quality (or lack of) range balls that we were using. And believe me, this range is open all year, and some of those balls have been sitting in snow since January, so we were hitting some sinkers.

Same here. I payed no attention to the range balls.

The SC100 salvaged an otherwise crappy session (shanks, really?). I started with the Practice mode then moved to the Target mode. I can't figure out how to retrieve my stats right now, which is frustrating me a little. But I recall doing 9i @ 140 yards, 7:00 SW Pelz @ 55 yards, 9:00 SW Pelz @ 95 yards and 8i @ 150 yards. I was on my way to scoring 95+ points on the three longer shots until an ugly shank appeared. I usually struggle with the 7:00 Pelz shots but by the end was getting really dialed in - my last three were 55, 54 and 55. Very cool. This thing is going to change the way we practice.

Fun little tidbit...I keep a little chart which shows all of my 3x4 Pelz distances. I set the SC100 up for what I thought was the 9:00 SW swing but I was consistently coming up about 10 yards short. It got to the point where I wondered if I ever had the number right on the chart. When I got home I realized I misread the chart and entered 105 yards (10:30 swing distance) instead of 95 yards. So in the end the SC100 confirmed I was on the number after all.

Great review James. This device looks like a good addition for many of us. I will read more in this thread at my first opportunity.

Completely skipped this thread because of the "voice caddie" name. I just assumed it was a GPS unit telling me I was 129 yards out in a weird computer voice. I'm glad I finally came in here. Good stuff, JMan.

I'm not too worried about my numbers but target and random mode sound fun and sure beats the monotony of beating balls. I think they'd be smart to find a way to link those sessions for competition amongst friends. Public daily leaderboards or private leagues.

One thing I may have missed. When the device randomly selects yardage does it also select the club (118 yards and a 7 iron)?

Took this to the range for the first time today. Overall Im very impressed with it. A few quick thoughts and then a more lengthy review below. For the price, a great device. I found it to be very accurate for swing speeds, very accurate for carry distance for Woods and hybrids, but less so for irons (in my case about 10 yards off at least, especially for short irons, but gapping was consistent. It absolutely makes practicing more fun and is definitely worth a purchase.

I hit balls at an outdoor range, that has distance flags. and jumped right into it. I believe I know my carry distances very well. I was using the speedblades. I started with the 50 degree A Wedge. I always carry this club right around 100-105 yards. I always hit to the same flags at this range, and there is a flag exactly at 100 yards. I have scoped it with my laser numerous times. I was consistently hitting this green right by the flag, but shot after shot the voice caddie was telling me I carried it 90 yards. I scoped the flag, it was exactly 100 yards. Found this to be give or take 10 yards off.

Moved to the pitching wedge, which I hit about 115-120 yards. I was carrying my shots right around 15 yards past the 100 yard flag, but voice caddie kept showing I was carrying it only 100-105 yards. Again 10 yards off or so.

Found almost identical things happening with the 9,8,7,6 etc. They all seemed to be right around 10 yards off with the reading from teh caddie. but the gapping was incredibly consistent.

So I switched to the hybrids. Distance was almost spot on with what I know I hit them. Started to get more impressed. Moved to my Driver, swing speed, carry distance, ball speed etc were almost dead spot on as well. I was just on a launch monitor which I know to be very accurate last week, and the voice caddie numbers for my driver was almost identical.

So That is my review. Has anyone else noticed this trend for them, ie not so accurate for irons, especially short irons, but very accurate for driver and hybrids?

10 yards off would sound about right from my experience yesterday. My 7 iron struggled to get over 143 on this thing. While I could chalk it up to a bad day, and it might have been that, the 10 yards would sound more about right.

Thanks. Just powered up my device to provide some numbers as well.

My AW average on Swing Caddie was 89 yards, with 78 mph swing speed, 75 mph ballspeed, with a smash factor of .95. Again I was watching it land on the 100 yard flag.

MY PW average on Swing Caddie was 101 yards, with 80 mph swing speed, 82 mph ballspeed, with smash factor of 1.08. Again I was watching it carry the 100 yard flag by about 15 yards.

9iron average was 121, 81 mph swing speed, 92 mph ball speed, smash factor of 1.15. and so on

However for driver my average carry was 240. 100 mph swing speed, 141 ball speed. 1.41 smash factor. hit a 2-3 poor ones that brought this down some, but also made it more realistic. And I would guess these are very close to my averages, not best hits.

Agreed here on the 10 yards and have mentioned a few times. On course a well struck 8i is 140, most I seem to get with this is 130 or 131.

Interesting thoughts Lions. I know you mentioned it being accurate for swing speeds, but what about the other numbers? Since you recently spent time on a monitor, would you say the other pieces of information were accurate in the irons with the exception of the carry distance?

For anyone pondering this Ill have mine out at the Ga/Fl non official outing this weekend if anyone want to get some swings before they pull the trigger.

Ive only used it once thus far, but it is a very great piece of equipment for the money.

Interesting thoughts Lions. I know you mentioned it being accurate for swing speeds, but what about the other numbers? Since you recently spent time on a monitor, would you say the other pieces of information were accurate in the irons with the exception of the carry distance?

Unfortunately I was only trying out drivers on the launch monitor last week so those are the numbers fresh in my mind for ball speed, smash factor etc. I know my swing speed with my 6 iron when I was on a monitor last was right around 85 mph, and this was very close to what the device showed. Unfortunately I dont remember what the rest of my #s were for irons so dont want to provide wrong information/a guess.

I might sneak into a golfsmith later this week and "demo" my 6 iron, and see what the #s are on GC2 and compare.

I must be a freak, I'm not seeing a 10 yard buffer, even with range rocks...that would mean I hit my 7i 176 and not 166, I wish, hahaha

Also, keep in mind it does not account for elevation or wind. That could perhaps play a role for some, I know it won't for all or indoor guys, but its worth mentioning again.

Good point James, I was elevated yesterday but was in some serious wind. I need this next to the GC2, that would be cool.

I think also it needs to be remembered this is a doppler system meant to be portable and easy access to info, its not going to be as precise as a multi thousand dollar full launch monitor...though don't we wish.

For what I've seen in every range session and on course use I have had it out on, it does its job incredibly well, I stand by that.

I think also it needs to be remembered this is a doppler system meant to be portable and easy access to info, its not going to be as precise as a multi thousand dollar full launch monitor...though don't we wish.

For what I've seen in every range session and on course use I have had it out on, it does its job incredibly well, I stand by that.

For the cost though, it's a heck of a product.

Back