Cleveland 588 Altitude Driver Preview

Both...1 leading to the other.

Worked on it a bit with the irons in my 2 lessons, still in the correction phase

Do you know which caused the other: shut clubface caused flat swing or flat swing caused shut clubface?
Sometimes it can make the correction easier if you know which one to start with as the other will fall into place.

Do you know which caused the other: shut clubface caused flat swing or flat swing caused shut clubface?
Sometimes it can make the correction easier if you know which one to start with as the other will fall into place.

I'm so flat and coming from so far inside I can't square up the face at impact. Losing power with the lower body slide too.

Will get it sorted and a friend is sending me a 12* to demo so I'll be back with feedback in a few weeks

This might just be beginner's luck, but the 588 Altitude just might be a perfect fit for me. I've used it for three rounds and find that somehow both good and bad swings still find the fairway. During yesterday afternoon's round I hit 14/14 of fairways. I'm usually pretty accurate off the tee anyway, but 14/14 is a pretty rare feat, especially considering it's so early in the season. I can't say I've picked up much distance from my Titleist 913, but so far it's a fairway finder like nothing I've used before.

Sounds pretty nice, doesn't it? Glad to hear you're enjoying it MU.

This might just be beginner's luck, but the 588 Altitude just might be a perfect fit for me. I've used it for three rounds and find that somehow both good and bad swings still find the fairway. During yesterday afternoon's round I hit 14/14 of fairways. I'm usually pretty accurate off the tee anyway, but 14/14 is a pretty rare feat, especially considering it's so early in the season. I can't say I've picked up much distance from my Titleist 913, but so far it's a fairway finder like nothing I've used before.

Dude judging by how lethal you were with the 913 when we played I can only imagine you with this thing in your hands!

This morning I swingweighted this out so it matched my X-Hot and took it to the range. Gotta get this MC driver thing sorted out and I honestly feel a little schizophrenic about it all.

Anyway, I hit it well today. Started out with some balls that weren't really getting the height I was looking for, but worked through it with things I'm working on in my lesson and it came around very nicely. Higher balls than I've seen out of anything outside the X-Hot. Carry yardages looked decent too. One thing I like about this one is the alignment aid on the crown. Normally not something I'm too concerned about, but it does help me visually at address.

Learned my lesson and will hold off until I get some rounds in with it, but I'm going to stick it in the bag and see what comes out of it.

What struggles have you had with it in the past?

What struggles have you had with it in the past?

When I cut it down I messed it up. I didn't do enough to counteract all the head weight I took away with the shaft being shorter. I finally took the time to get it spec'd out similar to the X-Hot and it was much better.

I love this driver, the lateral forgiveness in this club is amazing.

When I cut it down I messed it up. I didn't do enough to counteract all the head weight I took away with the shaft being shorter. I finally took the time to get it spec'd out similar to the X-Hot and it was much better.

Really interesting.

Really interesting.

It's wacky light to start with. Then, drop 9 swingweight points to get it at my normal length and it was just jacked up.

It's wacky light to start with. Then, drop 9 swingweight points to get it at my normal length and it was just jacked up.

9? Holy hell, that would make everything just feel a bit wonky.

9? Holy hell, that would make everything just feel a bit wonky.

Serves me right for messing with it, but I'm not playing a 46 inch driver in July and I need to get it figured out. It's coming along. Contact pattern was really good today, though I was missing high a little more frequently. Barely anything left/right.

9 certainly equals jacked up

Edit:

Hawk glad to see you did manage some success with this today. I know you are battling to find the right driver and potential shaft options for July, hope u get it situated.

9 certainly equals jacked up

Was thinking about these irons in a car ride yesterday. Not sure why...trying to recall how tough it was to mess up a swing with these.

Interesting thoughts but this is a driver.

Now we're cooking. Today was a pretty decent driving day for me with the shortened, leaded up Altitude. Had some misses, but only two that were bigger misses - both to the right and both would have been bad news if there was a lake or something over there. Lucky for me, one was just in some rough and the other was in a natural area that I was able to hit out of. Considering the number of misses I saw my first couple times out this year, two is a big improvement. Also a handful of misses across the face that were just shorter, but in play.

GPS'd one at 245 yards and no that wasn't downhill thanks :). It did run though. Most decent ones were in the 230 range, which is fine with me for now.

Not really hitting the ball super high with it, but I don't really hit the driver super high anyway. As I got more adept at my 'new' swing I actually saw some reasonable trajectory. Will keep working with that of course.

For now, we'll keep it in the bag. With the Custom I couldn't do that, so there's some progress.

Some progress is better than none. Still wanna try them both and see what works for me but in the interim I will live vicariously through you

Some progress is better than none. Still wanna try them both and see what works for me but in the interim I will live vicariously through you

Compared the Custom we are talking a huge improvement Mike. HUGE>

Looking forward to following this one along Hawk. I liked this when I hit, but get along well with their drivers that fit this mold.

Compared the Custom we are talking a huge improvement Mike. HUGE>

This is what I like to hear! Some liners for good roll still?

Hawk: for the purpose of the MC, could you play this stock? Or do you need some SW adjustments?

I tried this driver today at a demo day in 9* and regular flex not a bad driver for me, but my misses were hooks and the 588 custom was a much better driver for me as were a few others. It seems this club excels with a nice smooth swing, almost trying to swing in a very smooth unhurried manner.

Last edited:
Back