How do you drop shots during a round?

c0ncept

SFT
Reaction score
Handicap
Life
So I wanted to ask another question to the forum asking where everyone leaves shots on the course. I know there are obviously a lot of ways this can happen but I want to know what the big ones are so I will try to categorize each answer to hopefully help narrow it down.

Code:
Driver:

-Penalty shots by going OB
-Not setting yourself up to be able to reach the green off the tee

Irons:

-Not giving yourself a chance at par even if you don't hit the green.

Short Game:

-Sand shots are automatic bogeys or worse
-If you miss a green can you chip it close to save the hole (up and downs)

Putting:

-3 Putts
-Not being able to convert inside of 5 feet after chipping

For me personally I drop the most shots when I can't get the driver going enough to give chances at par.

for me if the driver is not going good i end up in bad places for my second shot which makes them harder
If i end up in a bunker that is an automatic bogey

Probably off the the tee. I've been working all winter on it, so we will see this year. My next is with my irons, I don't have the consistency yet I would like.

THP #theking #imwithchad

I tallied up where I left shots during my most recent round. Putting wasn't accounted for because the greens were just punched and were terrible.

Tee: 6. This includes par 3's. Only one was a penalty stroke; the rest put me in a position where I was scrambling for par at best

Second or third shot: 10. These were all mis hits that led to missed GIR's

Chips: 4. Although my short game was generally solid, there were a few occasions where I should have done better.

Bunkers: 1. This shot stemmed from an awkward exchange with someone in my foursome. He wanted me to go even though he was away and I rushed the shot to get out of his way. I should have stood my ground and let him go so I didn't rush it.

Missed par putts from 6 feet and in: 6. Punched greens so I'm not worrying too much about this.

Generally, I lose most of my strokes from missed second and third shots. I should say that over half of these happened in the first 5 holes, as I wasn't warmed up and it was freezing out. Tee shots are usually better than above whereas I'd say a few missed chips is typical. Pitching was much better, but chipping just off green killed me a few times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Putting definitely
I usually find that even if the drives are all over the place I tend to find it doesn't make a great deal of difference as the irons are usually pretty solid. I can often not play great and putt very well for a good score, but then even if I'm reaching the greens in regulation, if I start 3 putting the scores shoot right up. Also, when I'm putting badly, I usually feel the need to attack more pins and so if the risks don't pay off it can easily go from bad to worse.

Short game for me. I lean on my short game a lot. When I miss greens it is not by much and when I am playing poorly I have a lot of 10' to 15' putts after I chip. But this same game saves more often then not.

Penalties at the moment, too many thoughts and easy for one to go missing.

Off the tee and putting have been my killers I'm the past, I'm hoping to get that all sorted this year with a new tee strategy though

Using Tapatalk

Last year it was driver and chipping. I'm hoping this year it's neither... but I'll be ok if it's still chipping and my driver's in play on every hole I need it.

I drop them like they're hot

Off the tee and around the green.

Short game for me all the way around, bunker play is terrible right now, chipping is too far from the hole, and putting is horrendous.

chipping then putting for me i need to chip inside 10 ft consistanty if i dont its bogey time every missed green.

For me, the biggest "dropped shot" area is the short game. This includes sand traps and skulled or fat chips and pitches. These are also morale busters!

Overswinging and not keeping my eye on the ball....yup, 2 of the basics that cause the most damage.

Off the tee mainly, because I am not making a short enough swing still and tempo is off.

The second area is putting pace is good, read is ok, but stroke is inconsistent

Used to be off the tee as I had a wicked slice that would lead to an abundance of penalty strokes.

But now its the short game, and its by a lot. I leave so many shots out there its not even funny. can shoot mid 80s and not have any up and downs from off the greens just blows. And then when you add in my terrible sand play, you have a bunch of strokes just being left out there.

If I am having a bad driving day, there's nothing that can save my score. Luckily, those days are becoming fewer and further between. I drop the majority of my shots in the following areas:

1) Putting- If I could make a 4-5' putt with any consistency I'd be scratch lol
2) Getting up and down- My typical bogey is "Miss a green by a couple yards, chip to 8', 2 putt".
3) My mental game- Using appropriate clubs. I'm a big fan of taking extra club and dialing down the swing. I have NO PROBLEM using a 7-iron from 150, however I frequently get coaxed into using the wrong club. Usually leads to a bad drive (when using driver instead of FW) or a missed green (which leads to failing to get up and down).
4) Wardrobe- In what could be the weirdest "area" for dropping shots, I find that I seemingly ALWAYS shoot higher scores when wearing a white belt and white hat lol

Probably irons for me. Missing greens on the wrong side and just not giving myself a reasonable look at par.

OB and bunkers can, and usually do, cause my score to go up 6-8 strokes a round. My game outside of 160 yards needs the most work. I practice pitching, chipping, and putting five or six days a week. They are usually in pretty good shape for a golfer of my skill level. If I can get within 120 yards I am usually on the green or close enough to it that I can give myself a chance at two putting or one putting. Doesn't always happen, but I usually have a good enough chance...

Honestly depends on the round, which is why my whole game really needs work. I could have 38 putts one day and 30 the next and shoot the same score.

For me, if my ball striking with my irons is off, I'll usually drop shots. I can scramble if my tee shot is poor but my irons are good.

Unfortunately, my choice would be "all of the above". When I put up big numbers, though, it is usually a function of getting in trouble off the tee.

Penalties, especially on second shots. Followed by duffed pitches and chips.

This is something I am going to keep much closer attention to this year. I started tracking it last year but stopped. Anyway here are my areas.

Driver - Normally I am pretty straight with the driver. I don't tend to lose a lot of balls OB with it, which is a good thing. However when things get wild I end up in areas that cost me a shot by pitching out, sometimes backwards. That's just annoying and it throws a lot of pressure on the other areas of my game.

Short Game - I tend to lose concentration on some basic short game shots. So I end up with a thin, chunk, long, and short shot.

Combine those 2 together and it's a recipe for disaster for me.

Back