JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Regions across the country (and world) have different types of grass as the norm. As we continue to move forward hybrids and new strands are popping up. Do you have a favorite that you like to play on? What makes it you like it?

I like the kind of grass that's not covered in snow.

but seriously, I dont know much about grass, to me its all the same

Obviously playing up North most of my rounds, we play on bent grass up here and I am fine with that. The few rounds I play on bermuda a year take a bit of an adjustment period as they are "grippier" and I have to take into account the grain when determining speed for a putt.

I don't necessarily have a preference, just takes a bit of an adjustment period going from one to the other.

I'm a huge fan of bent grass. Greens seem roll smoother, tight lies still have a bit of a cushion and putts roll truer.

But a great combo that is rarely seen anymore is Bermuda fairways and bent grass greens.

I'm a huge fan of bent grass. Greens seem roll smoother, tight lies still have a bit of a cushion and putts roll truer.

But a great combo that is rarely seen anymore is Bermuda fairways and bent grass greens.

I think it's tough because each grass thrives in opposite climates and dies in it's counterpart climate. I've never seen a mixed one personally, it'd be cool to play though, best of both worlds.

I guess I am completely ignorant in terms of the types of grasses used in golf, and how they react differently to a golf shot. I'm with MP...grass that isn't covered in snow is good enough for me!

Anything but fescue. Yuck is that stuff tough to play on, the lies are super tight, and it rolls like a freight train.
If I had to choose, I'd say I prefer bent grass.

• Admin
I guess I am completely ignorant in terms of the types of grasses used in golf, and how they react differently to a golf shot. I'm with MP...grass that isn't covered in snow is good enough for me!

Grass handles quite differently in terms of putting and lies. As people travel and experience different geography there are definitely different things in the game and how the ball reacts.

Bent Grass for me, probably because thats my "norm"

Grass Preference

Never think about. I think Christmas Lake, where I play the most, is zoysia but I'm not even sure on that. Actually, I'm thinking that's just the fairways so no idea what rough or greens are.

Last edited:
I prefer Bent grass greens over Bermuda. They are usually smoother and roll truer with little grain effect. Newer strains of Bermuda, however, have greatly improved, and when maintained properly, roll very nicely.

I think it's tough because each grass thrives in opposite climates and dies in it's counterpart climate. I've never seen a mixed one personally, it'd be cool to play though, best of both worlds.

It's common in the south, I've played this
combo in VA, MD and GA

Grass handles quite differently in terms of putting and lies. As people travel and experience different geography there are definitely different things in the game and how the ball reacts.

Perhaps a knowledgeable THPer could create a "golf grass 101" thread to go into these differences in detail?

It's common in the south, I've played this
combo in VA, MD and GA

Makes sense. Those states kind of get the best of both worlds climate wise to allow both to thrive.

I love bermuda grass, I have played my best rounds on Bermuda, mainly because my short game is at its best

We have both bent and bermuda in my part of Georgia. The bent is more consistent in most cases. The champion bermuda we play on now can match the bent in speed but has more of a challenge when reading greens. I say bent would be my choice between the two.

I really don't have a favorite anymore, playing in md and above for so long I really came to love bent but after spending several years down south the different hybrids of Bermuda have gotten pretty close in texture and action. One grass that was new to me was Paspalum, Osprey in Boca did their whole course in this and I loved it, very true putting surface.

im sheltered i have never played on anything other then bent grass.....

I always feel a little bad for those that have never traveled and played. Those that have never seen the luscious bermuda lined with water, sand and beautiful palm trees. Or the the flip side and seen the old oaks and velvet like bent grass. Its one thing I always said I would do (and thankfully THP allows me to) is make sure that my favorite hobby/activity gives me the opportunity to see areas and courses I never thought imaginable.

Play bent everywhere up here. I like it, but really enjoyed played Bermuda in Mexico in February for the first time. Think if I had the choice, I would enjoy Bermuda more often than not.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'll never forget my first round at Grand Cypress, I had played Bermuda courses here and there, but nothing like that place. Absolutely crippled me.

Zoysia fairways and bent greens. You can't do better than that.

I always feel a little bad for those that have never traveled and played. Those that have never seen the luscious bermuda lined with water, sand and beautiful palm trees. Or the the flip side and seen the old oaks and velvet like bent grass. Its one thing I always said I would do (and thankfully THP allows me to) is make sure that my favorite hobby/activity gives me the opportunity to see areas and courses I never thought imaginable.

I did travel for the first time this winter to fort Lauderdale and I have played a few rounds while there, and I did notice that the grass was ticker that what we are used to in the north (pole), I am not sure how this grass would be called though. I liked it in the fairways and greens, but made the chipping from the rough much harder. I am not sure if it was actually harder or just needed some time getting sued to it.

going to OC this summer will be my second golf trip this year, hopefully i'll notice what kind of grass and the differences it makes to the game this time.

I did travel for the first time this winter to fort Lauderdale and I have played a few rounds while there, and I did notice that the grass was ticker that what we are used to in the north (pole), I am not sure how this grass would be called though. I liked it in the fairways and greens, but made the chipping from the rough much harder. I am not sure if it was actually harder or just needed some time getting sued to it.

going to OC this summer will be my second golf trip this year, hopefully i'll notice what kind of grass and the differences it makes to the game this time.

That would most likely have been bermuda. The rough can wreak havoc.

I love Zoysia fairways. My favorite by far. Ball just sits up so nice. Its an expensive grass so don't see it too often around Atlanta.

For greens I love Bent 3/4ths of the year. It has to get harry in the summer here to protect it from dying from the heatl

Back