Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

I have about the same swing speed, maybe up to 90 on a good day. I love the 12* with a reg shaft, I dont see any loss of distance if I had gamed a 10.5*.
I know this is not the right thread, but I was wondering what your swing speed is sabig27 and what type of ball flight you are seeing from your 12* driver, I have about an 85 mph swing with the big stick and was debating between the 10.5 and 12 degree myself as well as a reg flex shaft. I played reg. flex graph. stock in the past with the hyrons and felt the shaft was perfect for me. Any thoughts?

I have about the same swing speed, maybe up to 90 on a good day. I love the 12* with a reg shaft, I dont see any loss of distance if I had gamed a 10.5*.
Well, I broke down and have come back to the 588 altitude hyrons. Admittedly I change clubs like I change...well you can guess... But I look forward to my reunion with these easy to hit hyrons. I have an 18 hole tourney with my MGA tomorrow and look forward to playing and hitting some awesome shots mañana. We will see how it goes. I know though, I will not mind being 160ish out because the mid irons are just so easy to hit from my past experience with these hyrons. I also took advantage of Golfsmith's trade in days and purchased the 588 driver, 3 wood, smart sole sand wedge, and smart square putter. Trying to make the game easier, we will see how it goes. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Right on, good luck and enjoy.
Well, I broke down and have come back to the 588 altitude hyrons. Admittedly I change clubs like I change...well you can guess... But I look forward to my reunion with these easy to hit hyrons. I have an 18 hole tourney with my MGA tomorrow and look forward to playing and hitting some awesome shots mañana. We will see how it goes. I know though, I will not mind being 160ish out because the mid irons are just so easy to hit from my past experience with these hyrons. I also took advantage of Golfsmith's trade in days and purchased the 588 driver, 3 wood, smart sole sand wedge, and smart square putter. Trying to make the game easier, we will see how it goes. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Congrats man, enjoy!

how does the cobra baffler xl hybrid compare to the to 4 iron in this set?
I took my graphite Altitudes to the range yesterday. I owned the steels in the past, but think the graphites are probably better for my swing. The added benefit is that the 4 becomes playable for me, whereas with the steels I just didn't have enough kick.

The pros and cons were as I remembered. The ball flight is definitely straight with minimal side spin. If the ball does move, it is right to left. Distance was good. It was nice to have a 4 be as easy to hit as a 6. I like the minimal amount of offset.

The sound, feel and looks are all about the same as they were in steel. That's to say, they're not the best.

I've not owned the XL hybrid, so it might be better for someone who has owned both to comment.

I feel like they're a little bit different type of club. The Altitudes are probably more for players who like hybrids that are more like irons. They seem to work better with the ball further back in the stance with a bit steeper down swing. They also have relatively little offset.

I've hit the XL hybrid and it is more like a traditional hybrid.

Very different clubs. Both solid bit very different. Sizes, shape, offset and sound all different. The leading edge is also different on both being more rounded on the cobra.

I have DG S300 in 3-6 and no, I do not regret it. Most accurate I have ever been 3-6 iron. To be fair, I haven't tried the graphites, but based on my experience with other clubs, I can't help but think I'd see more hooks. I assume those light graphites would be longer, but that trade off wouldn't be worth it for me.

Correction, now 3-7:)

I really enjoyed having these irons back in the bag for my round this weekend. Ended up shooting a 45, 40 for an 85 that could have been lower. Two OB's on the front side killed me, one bounced off a sprinkler head and into OB. But, other than that, I had one of my most consistant ball striking rounds. Made two birdies and lipped out two others. Hit about 5 more greens in regulation than I normally do. These irons allow me to relax on the course, just make smooth swings, and the results end up alot better for me. I was also really impressed with the smart square putter by Cleveland, I drained some clutch putts on the backside with it. It has a great feel and alignment is stupid easy. Really enjoyed all my new gear this weekend and I am really looking forward to my next round.

I have hit the bafflers at demo days and I will say the altitudes are much easier to hit to me, the bafflers have a large offset and the shape is completely different....Also they have a very different sound and feel at impact.

I really enjoyed having these irons back in the bag for my round this weekend. Ended up shooting a 45, 40 for an 85 that could have been lower. Two OB's on the front side killed me, one bounced off a sprinkler head and into OB. But, other than that, I had one of my most consistant ball striking rounds. Made two birdies and lipped out two others. Hit about 5 more greens in regulation than I normally do. These irons allow me to relax on the course, just make smooth swings, and the results end up alot better for me. I was also really impressed with the smart square putter by Cleveland, I drained some clutch putts on the backside with it. It has a great feel and alignment is stupid easy. Really enjoyed all my new gear this weekend and I am really looking forward to my next round.

Good stuff man, had you been gaming these off and on for awhile?

Good stuff man, had you been gaming these off and on for awhile?

Yeah, I gamed these for about 4 months last year when they first came out, got bored and tried some other things, and came back to these last weekend. The main reason I wanted to try some other irons was that I felt I was stuck in a rut. I was consistently shooting between 80-85 but thought maybe some more traditional game improvement irons would allow me to hit it closer to the pin and be more playable, only problem is that Ive realized.... Im not that good, nor do I have the time to put in the work to become that good. So back to my consistent old reliables that just allow me to go out to the course and confidently hit greens with marginal swings. lol

Won't lie, I have a less than 6 month old set of XHots (which I actually hit okay and enjoy), but for some reason I woke up this morning pondering these..... they are priced right at the moment too....

Yeah, I gamed these for about 4 months last year when they first came out, got bored and tried some other things, and came back to these last weekend. The main reason I wanted to try some other irons was that I felt I was stuck in a rut. I was consistently shooting between 80-85 but thought maybe some more traditional game improvement irons would allow me to hit it closer to the pin and be more playable, only problem is that Ive realized.... Im not that good, nor do I have the time to put in the work to become that good. So back to my consistent old reliables that just allow me to go out to the course and confidently hit greens with marginal swings. lol

Nothing wrong with that, and from what Ive seen you are not the only one that left and have come back to the light

Nothing wrong with that, and from what Ive seen you are not the only one that left and have come back to the light

I guess as I was playing well, I really didn't miss these irons, but as I have been struggling as of late, I really enjoy the psychological benefits these irons give me. I really believe the sheer size and forgiveness of the clubheads along with the lightweight shafts allow me to swing easier and it seems to make my ball striking better. I had 5 legit birdie putts Saturday inside of 12 feet. It has been months since I have had that many tries. It is definitely more mental for me, in that I know I can show up to the course and hack it around with these clubs and still get decent results.

Congrats twoods, I was pretty sure you were going to enjoy all the clubs.
I guess as I was playing well, I really didn't miss these irons, but as I have been struggling as of late, I really enjoy the psychological benefits these irons give me. I really believe the sheer size and forgiveness of the clubheads along with the lightweight shafts allow me to swing easier and it seems to make my ball striking better. I had 5 legit birdie putts Saturday inside of 12 feet. It has been months since I have had that many tries. It is definitely more mental for me, in that I know I can show up to the course and hack it around with these clubs and still get decent results.

Glad to see you're enjoying them twoods!

I guess as I was playing well, I really didn't miss these irons, but as I have been struggling as of late, I really enjoy the psychological benefits these irons give me. I really believe the sheer size and forgiveness of the clubheads....

That's pretty much me to a tee. I have had some sort of Cleveland hybrid iron set (either HB3, XLI or Altitude in either steel or graphite) for most of the past 2 years. I'll play some pretty good golf (for me) with them, feel my ball striking is coming around, get bored, lust after something with a better sound and feel and sell them.

Then I'll get in a rut and come running back. I'm in that rut right now.

When I decide this time that I'm ready for something else, I'll probably just hold onto this set of Altitudes. It will save me some transaction time and hassle.

I had another solid session with the Altitudes at the range yesterday. I can honestly say that I hit the 4 as well as I hit the 7. The ball striking still isn't where I need it, nor is it as good as it is with my wedges and FW, but it is coming around. This set goes out on the course for its maiden voyage later this week.

I suppose there may always be stigma attached to irons perceived as "SGI", and I was probably one of the worst when it came to that type of thinking. JB has often made the statement that the lines are getting blurred between the normally recognized club categories (GI, SGI, etc). From what I have seen in recent years, and my more recent experience with the Altitudes, I believe he is spot on with that.

Having played with muscleback irons, cavity back irons (that would now be considered player CB's), for many years, I really don't see anything I could gain from going back to them now, except maybe cool points. And even that is kinda funny because I can remember when muscleback irons were crap and pings were cool. haha

The weekend exposed a pretty glaring drop in performance for me with full swings from 130-160 yards. I can hit knockdowns up to about 130, but after that I'm forced to swing full and I straight up sucked there outside of the first day. Even the first day showed a pretty low ball flight and a tendency to miss when put in pressure situations. That combined with the ridiculous success I had with a Bobby J hybrid (and the success I'd had with the 588) has me wondering what a 6 or 7-DW set would do for me here. I'll say right now that I don't want and didn't really like the longer (3/4) Altitudes, but will be experiement with keeping my hybrid setup and using these in the higher lofts over the coming month. Bottom line is I saw a big hole in my game and need to figure out a solution. Continued swing work is a huge part of that, but as a complement I am going to explore every option.

The weekend exposed a pretty glaring drop in performance for me with full swings from 130-160 yards. I can hit knockdowns up to about 130, but after that I'm forced to swing full and I straight up sucked there outside of the first day. Even the first day showed a pretty low ball flight and a tendency to miss when put in pressure situations. That combined with the ridiculous success I had with a Bobby J hybrid (and the success I'd had with the 588) has me wondering what a 6 or 7-DW set would do for me here. I'll say right now that I don't want and didn't really like the longer (3/4) Altitudes, but will be experiement with keeping my hybrid setup and using these in the higher lofts over the coming month. Bottom line is I saw a big hole in my game and need to figure out a solution. Continued swing work is a huge part of that, but as a complement I am going to explore every option.

So if you went 7-DW you would be committing to full swings with them all the time if Im reading this correctly?

You try out the MT's some more at all this past weekend?

Love it Hawk. I'm playing the 6-PW now and wouldn't change a thing.

Never once has the high launch of these caused me concern but I prefer to club up rather than trying to flight the ball.

Despite being a short knocker that seemingly can't hit out of my own shadow, that's the weakest part of my game as well -- hitting greens from 130-165. I probably only hit 25%.

I have been in a groove with the hybrid iron sets from Cleveland in the past and gotten that number up over about 65%. I need to get back to there.

So if you went 7-DW you would be committing to full swings with them all the time if Im reading this correctly?

You try out the MT's some more at all this past weekend?

Ideally, yes. There has to be some reason I can hit a graphite shafted 25° hybrid on such a ridiculously different level than a 7 iron. Just has to be. I've had the MT's and won't be going that route. Just haven't fell in love there.

Love it Hawk. I'm playing the 6-PW now and wouldn't change a thing.

Never once has the high launch of these caused me concern but I prefer to club up rather than trying to flight the ball.

I'll take the high ball. That's sort of my intent.

Despite being a short knocker that seemingly can't hit out of my own shadow, that's the weakest part of my game as well -- hitting greens from 130-165. I probably only hit 25%.

I have been in a groove with the hybrid iron sets from Cleveland in the past and gotten that number up over about 65%. I need to get back to there.

It's a bad distance to stink at, because it really takes a huge chunk of potential course management out of your pocket.

Hawk Im definitely with you on the Altitudes >MT, Ive had no issue hitting bad shots with the MT, cant say the same for the Altitudes.

Back