Impact Ball - training aid

I did, and the small (orange and blue) is too small. I can't get my fat arms close enough at address for it to hold the ball. I've tried the large (yellow and blue) too and it's too big--rests on my fat belly moreso than in my arms. I'd go with a medium (green and blue color). And it can really help with putting/chipping/pitch shots. Full shots I can't comment on until I get the right size ball myself.

Try using the small one for putting. It helped me get the feeling down on my putting. And the small isn't large enough for swinging.

This got the instructor's seal of approval last night. I like to check with him and he didn't yell at me, so that was nice. Then he took some swings with it himself and said to keep using it.

This got the instructor's seal of approval last night. I like to check with him and he didn't yell at me, so that was nice. Then he took some swings with it himself and said to keep using it.

Like hearing that. I mean, don't get too good with it cause I don't want to lose to you but you know.. Definitely get better with it.

It's nice when an instructor gives the seal of approval. Usually mine just looks at me funny haha

Like hearing that. I mean, don't get too good with it cause I don't want to lose to you but you know.. Definitely get better with it.

Worst case, I will throw it at you when you are putting. Win/Win for me.

It's nice when an instructor gives the seal of approval. Usually mine just looks at me funny haha

I will admit that I was quite nervous to pull it out of the bag.

Martin Chuck has a version with a leash now...

Worst case, I will throw it at you when you are putting. Win/Win for me.

I laughed at this more than I should have

Martin Chuck has a version with a leash now...

Saw that this morning. Seems to do similar things. I don't quite agree with the weight part, I think that helps keep your arms from getting too active but to each their own.

OK, I pulled the trigger on a medium one. I'm not usually all that interested in training aids cause they seem gimicky, but this thread convinced me to give it a try. It should be here by Friday or Monday.

It's a great tool if you use it a few minutes every day. Connection is a good thing!

My instructor was the one that told me about it. I haven't taken a swing during a lesson, with out it in use, since. I use it daily, unless I am at a THP event or something. But I can definitely see what I need to be doing with the swing now. I hope I can master this quickly, as I want the benefits of this ball yesterday.

I feel like I just had a breakthrough tonight. Ward's been harping on me to use this thing, and I've been resisting because it felt so darn weird and I kept losing it at the top of my swing. We got to talking about what might be causing me to lose it at the top when he doesn't have that issue, and one of the things we discussed was overswinging. I decided to try some things out tonight, and I believe that I am/was using my arms to continue my swing after my torso turn stopped in an effort to lengthen my swing to (I believe) try and get more distance out of my clubs. This additional arm movement seems to cause some variability in my swing, and when I'm on, it doesn't seem to be an issue, but when I get tired and my timing breaks down, I really make some bad shots. What I found tonight, and will continue to work on, is that if I focus on turning with my body and not using my arms after my torso stops, the impact ball stays in place, and then when I start to uncoil with my hips I make solid contact. It feels really weird right now, and I think it will stretch some areas I'm not used to working with, but I think in the long run it will help with a more consistent swing by reducing the role my arms play in my swing.

Bravo, Neb. You will master that effing ball. Just keep working. I, on the other hand, am too afraid to even try the dang thing.

I feel like I just had a breakthrough tonight. Ward's been harping on me to use this thing, and I've been resisting because it felt so darn weird and I kept losing it at the top of my swing. We got to talking about what might be causing me to lose it at the top when he doesn't have that issue, and one of the things we discussed was overswinging. I decided to try some things out tonight, and I believe that I am/was using my arms to continue my swing after my torso turn stopped in an effort to lengthen my swing to (I believe) try and get more distance out of my clubs. This additional arm movement seems to cause some variability in my swing, and when I'm on, it doesn't seem to be an issue, but when I get tired and my timing breaks down, I really make some bad shots. What I found tonight, and will continue to work on, is that if I focus on turning with my body and not using my arms after my torso stops, the impact ball stays in place, and then when I start to uncoil with my hips I make solid contact. It feels really weird right now, and I think it will stretch some areas I'm not used to working with, but I think in the long run it will help with a more consistent swing by reducing the role my arms play in my swing.

Bingo. The arms going longer might feel like it may be more powerful, but it's not. If your arms have continued to move after the upper body has stopped turning, they're out of sync. If you rotated everything else in unison in your downswing, what would happen? Your arms would be behind the turning of your upper torso since they kept moving. The only way to get them back with everyone else is to have the rest stall or slow down so they can catch up. You can't always time that. The ball is just one way to monitor it. Now that you've seen what it feels like when you do it right, you'll like the torture of it.

Glad you're getting the hang of it though. Keep up the good work. We'll just ignore the fact this would have been a lot easier for you had you listened to me from the beginning, and that the verbal harassment will continue until morale improves. :)

I think I'm finally starting to see the results of the impact ball. I was practicing my chipping this week, and I was practicing, as if I was using the impact ball, and everything started working as it should. Shots were nice and crisp and control was definitely there. I will be spending more time with this in the coming weeks.

Curious if anyone that has tried this has also tried the Izzo Smooth Swing?

Looks like they are similar in concept and I know I've seen these used by some tour professionals on the range.

Looks like they are similar in concept and I know I've seen these used by some tour professionals on the range.

I haven't. The big difference I see is that it will basically force the position on you, where you have to force the position w/ the ball.

Cookie I posted some photos of the impact ball in the equipment pondering thread.

I had this on the range Wednesday and found out it get's pretty slippery with a pull over sweater on. :bulgy-eyes: Works really well with good old skin contact so you can snuggle up to it. :thumb:

I just got caught up in here. Sounds like lots of progress on your end Ryan. Great job. I am thinking I might need to get one of these. My short game seemed much better last night and while reflecting on what it might have been because of, I realized that the short shots were much more compact or connected might be the right word. This may just be the ticket for ingraining that move.

JM

I just got caught up in here. Sounds like lots of progress on your end Ryan. Great job. I am thinking I might need to get one of these. My short game seemed much better last night and while reflecting on what it might have been because of, I realized that the short shots were much more compact or connected might be the right word. This may just be the ticket for ingraining that move.

JM

My golf pro told me that even if I had to shorten my back swing to stay connected (getting old and flexibility not as good), do so. Keep that triangle as long as possible. :bomb:

I simply can't decide between this and the Swingyde. Read hawks thoughts of swingyde and it was fantastic.

Here is what I'm working on from my instructor and trying to determine which device will help more. Main concern is abbreviating backswing and arms staying connected.

Alignment square - left foot up
Club face and shoulders square to target
Bump hips and handle
Turn wide & short - parallel to ground
Hold angle and rotate to left side.
Everything turns left together - arms follow.
Maintain forward shaft lean to offset flipping through impact.

Eerily similar to my checklist

I simply can't decide between this and the Swingyde. Read hawks thoughts of swingyde and it was fantastic.

Here is what I'm working on from my instructor and trying to determine which device will help more. Main concern is abbreviating backswing and arms staying connected.

Alignment square - left foot up
Club face and shoulders square to target
Bump hips and handle
Turn wide & short - parallel to ground
Hold angle and rotate to left side.
Everything turns left together - arms follow.
Maintain forward shaft lean to offset flipping through impact.

Cookie, I haven't used the Impact Ball but I do have a Swingyde. I can still overswing with the Swingyde in place by bending my arms after the Swingyde hits my forearm. To shorten my swing, I've had to use a drill where I stop my backswing before the Swingyde touches my forearm. It's a little hard to explain via text, but it makes me feel like I'm taking half swings with very little wrist action, but in reality it's still a pretty full swing.

I'm actually looking into getting the Martin Chuck ball that is similar to the Impact Ball from WardF's link. I like that you could inflate it to a size that fits you and deflate it for storage. You and I have forearms that are very close to one another in our swings, so being able to make the ball smaller could be a benefit.

This training aid has a similar effect to the impact ball, albeit at $30 more.

Impact Ball - training aid

The shirt seems like it promotes a very inside takeaway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back