Tee up iron shots or off ground/mat?

66Tiger

Golf > Work = :^)
Reaction score
Handicap
Beer&Soju
My 'home" course here is 9 holes. Only three of the nine require a driver from the Tee. So thus my question. The other six run from a 5-6i and even a Pw for #9. I have been Teeing these up about 1/4". I happen to hit from the mat with my 5i yesterday and the ball skied past the green, farther than ever off a Tee. I have always thought Teeing up the ball makes it easier to hit.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Teeing up the ball makes it easier to hit. For me

I don't tee up my iron shots normally, although when I do it's just enough to ensure a good lie.

When I tee it up off the ground I see a distance loss of a club or more.

I use a tee on every tee box, regardless of what the par is for that hole.

The club I'm using will dictate just how high I want to tee the ball.

Depends on the situation, but I typically do not tee up 8i-PW. I find teeing them up changes the ball flight and the distance from what I'm used to, and the ball seems to bounce and roll as opposed to drop and sit.

I don't tee up my iron shots normally, although when I do it's just enough to ensure a good lie.

me too, I tend to hit it too high on the face when its tee'd up, I'd rather just place it on a nice lie

Teeing it up as much as im allowed to without breaking the rules

I think I read a quote by Jack Nicklaus long ago that essentially said "never miss an opportunity to tee up the ball". If it's good enough for that man, it's good enough for me!

Jack said any chance you get to tee up the ball, do so.

I tee it up every chance there is to get the best possible lie.

Teeing it up gives you a perfect lie, tee it up !!!

I tee the ball on every tee. Very low for irons, just barely above the grass. I don't really see a difference in ball flight/carry. I hit irons the same way I normally would. I figure you can only use a tee once per hole--might as well take advantage of it.

I think I read a quote by Jack Nicklaus long ago that essentially said "never miss an opportunity to tee up the ball". If it's good enough for that man, it's good enough for me!

Exactly, this is what I go by too Ken. I always figured if it was good enough for Nicklaus it was certainly good enough for me.

I've seen it attributed to Jack - "Through years of experience I have determined that air offers less resistance than the ground" or something along those lines.
I tee mine fairly low, maybe a quarter inch. Is it possible you change your stroke because it's teed up? Should still be ball then divot, I get in trouble when I scoop it or try to hit up on it.

Do you tee it high and swing up? I actually see about 1/2 club more distance when teeing the ball up for iron shots.

Arnold Palmer once said that if you can put a peg in the ground, you put a peg in the ground.

Good enough for me.

Jack said any chance you get to tee up the ball, do so.

Exactly, this is what I go by too Ken. I always figured if it was good enough for Nicklaus it was certainly good enough for me.

I've seen it attributed to Jack - "Through years of experience I have determined that air offers less resistance than the ground" or something along those lines.
I tee mine fairly low, maybe a quarter inch. Is it possible you change your stroke because it's teed up? Should still be ball then divot, I get in trouble when I scoop it or try to hit up on it.

Arnold Palmer once said that if you can put a peg in the ground, you put a peg in the ground.

Good enough for me.

I am sure Hogan and everyone else said it, too! Trevino, Nelson, Venturi, all those guys!

I am allowed to improve my lie 18 times... and I will improve it 18 times!

Definitely tee it up here. Ill take all the help I can get.

I almost always use a broken tee when using an iron to tee off. Its easy to get the tee into the ground with only a quarter of an inch sticking up. Its easier to attach the ball with a descending blow which is going to maximize distance.

Players I see tee the ball up a half inch or more for an iron are likely to trying to help the ball in the air with lifting swing. This is a failed concept and will result in a loss of distance.

I also always tee it up, just make sure it's not too high. With my irons and hybrids I tee them pretty much just enough to get the ball off the ground

I think the key here is tee height. I tee up every tee shot regardless of club, but for irons, hybrids, and fairway woods, it's the small epoch tee and the ball sits BARELY off the grass--so much so that it looks like it's sitting on the grass. Just enough to improve turf interaction, but not so high that I hit the ball with the top groove either.

If I could tee it up in the fairway I would!

Do you tee it high and swing up? I actually see about 1/2 club more distance when teeing the ball up for iron shots.

No I tee it just off the ground to flush with the ground, there my distance is "normal". If I tee it any higher I catch it higher on the face and that results into higher shorter shot.

Definitely put the ball on a tee any chance you get. Like some have said, the key is to tee it low, close to fairway height or maybe a hair higher.

Back