The Player's Championship New Playoff

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The PGA Tour has abandoned the sudden death penalty in favor of a new 3 hole aggregate playoff.
15, 16 and 17 will be used and these are the easiest, the signature and the hardest holes.
If players are still tied after the playoff, sudden death will take place beginning on No. 17, followed by 18, 16, 17 and 18 until a winner is determined.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it, should lead to even more exciting finishes with the potential of not being done after just 1 playoff hole

This could be great for the tournament. Especially if it goes into 17 tied

I like this. Should give an exciting finish over those three holes and #17 still plays an important role as the last hole of the aggregate playoff.

I like this a lot...I know aggregate playoffs (or 18 hole like the US Open) are not the easiest for TV coverage, but I think deciding big events with a single shot like the tee shot at 17 cheapens the 72 holes that got them there in the first place. Kind of interesting that it is 15-16-17 instead of 16-17-18 which I would consider more iconic, but I know this is so they can end on 17.

I like more golf and even better when it is basically head to head to win an event.

I think it's going to add some excitement. That's what's going to keep the viewers into the tournament

The PGA Tour has abandoned the sudden death penalty in favor of a new 3 hole aggregate playoff.
15, 16 and 17 will be used and these are the easiest, the signature and the hardest holes.
If players are still tied after the playoff, sudden death will take place beginning on No. 17, followed by 18, 16, 17 and 18 until a winner is determined.

Playoff holes will be 16-18, not 15-17: http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central/players-moves-three-hole-aggregate-playoff/

That's going to be exciting if it comes down to it.

I like this move and think it will bring more excitement to the tournament.

I like this so much more than just going to 17 and making them hit one shot basically to determine a winner. Way too much luck involved there more than skill when you have that wind up.

I like it a lot more. The 3 of them are fun holes to watch. Reachable par 5, island par 3, and a tough par 4.

Love it. you have to step up and make some pressure packed swings.

Should be fun. I like this format and those holes a lot.

I like it for sure. Those are great finishing holes.

Love it. Better start that final round a little earlier just in case.

I like this. This should make for some exciting TV in the event of a tie!

I like this a lot...I know aggregate playoffs (or 18 hole like the US Open) are not the easiest for TV coverage, but I think deciding big events with a single shot like the tee shot at 17 cheapens the 72 holes that got them there in the first place. Kind of interesting that it is 15-16-17 instead of 16-17-18 which I would consider more iconic, but I know this is so they can end on 17.

I really like this, and this is exactly what I was going to say.

Very interesting. Should be exciting

I really like this idea and like others have said will make for some really entertaining TV.

This is a pretty cool idea and that course sets up perfectly for it in my opinion.

I would love seeing these guys be forced to fire at the pin on 17 with that Sunday pin position.

I like the cumulative idea. After watching the Arnie series and seeing all the 18 hole playoffs, I know they couldn't do that on all tournaments due to time constraints, but the more holes in a playoff the better the tv product in my opinion.

I like it. You battled over 72 holes to a tie, let 3 holes decide it instead of just one where an unlucky break or a fortuitous bounce changes everything.

I'm a fan, I think it could be a LOT of fun to watch.

Back