The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

Frustrates me that the weather gets good and my wife leaves on business. I told her I was going to get a sitter for Friday so I can play all day....she flipped her lid. With her travel, this weather and my coaching schedule, it's so tough to get out and practice let alone play. I sit in my basement putting and chipping. I stop at golf galaxy to hit in the LM, but it's not the same as playing actual holes. Lax season ends May 15, then I start playing 9 every other weekday and at least 18 on the weekends.

Like you said, it's great if my swing looks nice on the range....but it needs to be there on the course in July.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

I know that feel, bro. I'm actually between teaching classes right now, which means I could show up and check my e-mail and call it good for the day at work. But, Monday my wife took an extra work cycle, though it involved a trip to Texas. On the one hand, it made some extra money for us. On the other, it means I have to Mr. Mom it for the week. So instead of ducking out from work and hitting the range, I'm ducking out of work to shuttle my kids to appointments and events my wife had already scheduled (and worst of all, told the kids about) this week. I'm away from the office as much as I would have been, but I haven't struck a real golf ball with anything but a putter since Sunday.

Still, in the short-term I know she'll be alright with my taking in a round on Saturday. 18 holes, walking, playing slow. And in the longer term, the extra money punched my ticket to Troon North. So I win, no matter how you slice it.

I'm a strong believer in Providence. Tickets paid for now are tickets punched later. And the game is won or lost inside 50 yards. I know your personality better than most outside team Hackers, and I know the look on your face, and your opponents' faces, when that short work pays off and you chip in a few, or pitch a few to kick-in range, in match play. A better short game, in match play, is a burr in your opponent's saddle. I'm surprised your haven't embraced it more.

I know that feel, bro. I'm actually between teaching classes right now, which means I could show up and check my e-mail and call it good for the day at work. But, Monday my wife took an extra work cycle, though it involved a trip to Texas. On the one hand, it made some extra money for us. On the other, it means I have to Mr. Mom it for the week. So instead of ducking out from work and hitting the range, I'm ducking out of work to shuttle my kids to appointments and events my wife had already scheduled (and worst of all, told the kids about) this week. I'm away from the office as much as I would have been, but I haven't struck a real golf ball with anything but a putter since Sunday.

Still, in the short-term I know she'll be alright with my taking in a round on Saturday. 18 holes, walking, playing slow. And in the longer term, the extra money punched my ticket to Troon North. So I win, no matter how you slice it.

I'm a strong believer in Providence. Tickets paid for now are tickets punched later. And the game is won or lost inside 50 yards. I know your personality better than most outside team Hackers, and I know the look on your face, and your opponents' faces, when that short work pays off and you chip in a few, or pitch a few to kick-in range, in match play. A better short game, in match play, is a burr in your opponent's saddle. I'm surprised your haven't embraced it more.

Dude.....this just made my day. I mean, it's early...but this is going to be tough to top. Thanks!

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

I love my wife, because she lets me do stuff like this:

She's a keeper!

Just dropping in, doing a little light reading here....there is a lot of energy in the thread. It's pretty effing awesome! With that I will just say. "I believe". In each and everyone of you. Keep getting the work in and I'll see you in Myrtle in July!

I know it, brother.

I watched a fair bit of last years coverage again last night. Really something special and I can't wait to get back.

I watched a fair bit of last years coverage again last night. Really something special and I can't wait to get back.

I watched round 3 2 days ago

Our cart was AWESOME after we stopped shaking

I watched round 3 2 days ago

Our cart was AWESOME after we stopped shaking

That worked out really well. Maybe the stars will align again this year and we can do it again.

That worked out really well. Maybe the stars will align again this year and we can do it again.

Im down (minus my 3 putt from like 10 feet on 1)

As order tickets are being pondered, remember that a lot of THPers put tons of time into writing reviews on this equipment that you are thinking about. There are threads with hundreds of pages and while we preach the search button, many times we as regulars here don't practice it as much. If you have a question about the gear, your Tour Reps are always there to assist, but you might also find the answer you are looking for right in the thread.

It also spurs conversation, and while many talk about this event being inclusive not exclusive, the forum says otherwise, so the ability to bring in others through new threads about equipment, talking about gear in existing threads and more is a better way then spending your time via text, chat room, etc.

Just my 2 cents and worth exactly that...2 cents.

Gonna second the use your tour rep part. They're here for a reason. If there is a question they somehow don't know the answer to, you know very well they will find that answer out for you. They won't just guess or lead you the wrong way. Also, I'm sure they would be able to dispel a myth or two if "you heard that..." about certain clubs or shafts.

I do this frequently. Especially if I have had a less than stellar round or range session. Very good motivator. Very special!

JM

I know a previous champion, the champion, that would approve of this.

Just reading through the last few pages gets me excited about this years MC and brings back so many memories.

The hard work you guys are putting in now WILL pay off come July, keep working hard. I remember getting a little frustrated with my progress as well last year, because I we have high goals and expectations and sometimes things don't happen as fast as you think they will. However, I kept grinding and it was well worth it. I played some of my best golf in the MC and shot my PB in one of the practice rounds. Keep working hard fellas, time will fly and July will be here before you know it. Even if you don't feel "ready" come MC time your prep will pay off big time.

One thing I would recommend (just like others have) is to get in some competitive rounds prior to the MC. Play in your men's club or whatever tournament you can to put some pressure on yourself so you can see which part of your game really needs the most work. Also, play in as many different formats as possible (match play, scramble, alt shot, best ball, singles, etc) so you experience all sorts of different scenarios and different pressures when you have a teammate.

Me too bro. It can't come soon enough

Just reading through the last few pages gets me excited about this years MC and brings back so many memories.

The hard work you guys are putting in now WILL pay off come July, keep working hard. I remember getting a little frustrated with my progress as well last year, because I we have high goals and expectations and sometimes things don't happen as fast as you think they will. However, I kept grinding and it was well worth it. I played some of my best golf in the MC and shot my PB in one of the practice rounds. Keep working hard fellas, time will fly and July will be here before you know it. Even if you don't feel "ready" come MC time your prep will pay off big time.

One thing I would recommend (just like others have) is to get in some competitive rounds prior to the MC. Play in your men's club or whatever tournament you can to put some pressure on yourself so you can see which part of your game really needs the most work. Also, play in as many different formats as possible (match play, scramble, alt shot, best ball, singles, etc) so you experience all sorts of different scenarios and different pressures when you have a teammate.

Thank you for that. What you wrote hit very close to me as I had been struggling with my game. Still to be determined if I have worked past it or not but I am still working hard. And I joined a men's club at my home course to get my feet wet in some competitions. It is a journey until July and I am not leaving anything to regret

JB you have mentioned and spoke of that pace of play will be enforced. I know you like to play fast as do many other. I am by no means a slow player but I wanted to know for everyone how this is being put into play. Are we going by the PGA 6-7 rule for pace of play? If not what are the guidelines? Just got me to thinking as I saw a Kevin NA shirt again today.

JB you have mentioned and spoke of that pace of play will be enforced. I know you like to play fast as do many other. I am by no means a slow player but I wanted to know for everyone how this is being put into play. Are we going by the PGA 6-7 rule for pace of play? If not what are the guidelines? Just got me to thinking as I saw a Kevin NA shirt again today.

I think it's going to be pretty simple. Just keep up with the group in front of you and you will be fine.

I think it's going to be pretty simple. Just keep up with the group in front of you and you will be fine.

Agreed that's pretty much been the mindset in all the events we have hosted

I hit about 10 drives today on the range pretending that it was my MC introduction. I envisioned TB No.1 and about 50 people standing behind me while I put a tee in the ground.

Even just pretending, it was a little nerve wracking. I've teed off at THP events before. I've even been the first one to tee off (285 right down the pipe at Ohio last year, thank you very much). But, I've got to prepare for this tee shot.

I'm getting my work in, but I really cannot wait to get down to MB. Starting to feel very real.

I dont expect people to play at a pace I would set. I expect people to play at an acceptable pace. Last year the first round was close to 5 hours. That will not be the case this year. We will set a pace that we deem acceptable beforehand and people will be expected to keep up with the group in front of them.

If that first group falls off of that pace, they will be tasked with either getting to it, or taking a penalty and skipping holes until they are. We will NOT tolerate 5 hour rounds out there. We have been warning people for months to prepare them for this, because there will be no "but the putt means more" stuff coming. We know what the matches mean. We know the pressure involved. It still does not mean slow play should be allowed or tolerated.

Be ready, and if you are not, don't be upset with the volunteers or hosts if they tell you that you are on the clock and/or been penalized.

Does this go for the group or the person in the group?

Does this go for the group or the person in the group?

Depends on the situation. If one person is the reason the group is slow, then that person/team will be penalized and the group will advance.

I hit about 10 drives today on the range pretending that it was my MC introduction. I envisioned TB No.1 and about 50 people standing behind me while I put a tee in the ground.

Even just pretending, it was a little nerve wracking. I've teed off at THP events before. I've even been the first one to tee off (285 right down the pipe at Ohio last year, thank you very much). But, I've got to prepare for this tee shot.

I'm getting my work in, but I really cannot wait to get down to MB. Starting to feel very real.

That's a great idea. My buddy was doing the same thing to me on Friday. Every putt meant something and I had to putt everything out. Every shot had to e played a certain way. I actually played better. Good sigh I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back