The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same as last night. Felt pretty good.

Didn't have time to make it to the range but I did sneak down to the basement and work on nothing but takeaway. Imagined there was an object directly behind the ball I was pushing straight back.

Did it nonstop for about 20 minutes, gotta make that my norm to help keep me from being too far inside.

A short takeaway in the pre shot routine before the full swing helped me in grain that move. I still do it a couple years later.

A short takeaway in the pre shot routine before the full swing helped me in grain that move. I still do it a couple years later.

Yeah pretty much going back to the basics...lining that up should lead to a way better position and higher probability of success on a shorter swing.

I posted in the challenge thread too, but what a difference a day makes. Got back to the range today and it was like a night and day difference. I brought my iPad so I could get some instant feedback.

u3ujagu6.jpg

zygu2uha.jpg

e7y8egun.jpg

Putted for about 45 mins too. Felt very good with the stroke. Just for kicks I tried the Jordan Spieth style on short putts. The whole looking at the hole while stroking the putt and I'm 99% sure I'm changing to that. I just about every putt I tried with it.

gehy5e4u.jpg

Went to the range twice today to get some more time with the new driver combo. Like a kid with a new toy I tell ya. Irons were pretty good, but some bad habits started creeping back in. Trying to hit with my arms again and no tempo with the body. Gave it a go to correct, but the ole bod wasn't wanting to cooperate 100% of the time. Left hip flexor was acting up from the pole vaulting days and wasn't being stable on the follow through.

After 360 +/- balls, it was time to let it go for the day. No more range for the weekend...going away with the GF to Estes Park!

Went to the range twice today to get some more time with the new driver combo. Like a kid with a new toy I tell ya. Irons were pretty good, but some bad habits started creeping back in. Trying to hit with my arms again and no tempo with the body. Gave it a go to correct, but the ole bod wasn't wanting to cooperate 100% of the time. Left hip flexor was acting up from the pole vaulting days and wasn't being stable on the follow through.

After 360 +/- balls, it was time to let it go for the day. No more range for the weekend...going away with the GF to Estes Park!

Guess you don't want to play tomorrow then... no wonder you don't text back lol

I spent a couple of hours at the shop really focusing on takeaway, making sure I wasn't going too far inside. I am doing a lot better at that then I was even last week. I'm getting a better feel for that 80% feeling I am going for in my downswing, too. I was getting much better contact when I wasn't trying to kill the ball. I was able to hit a bunch on the flightscope, and I was consistently hitting little draws with the irons, and my miss being an overcooked draw. Overall, good results for tonight.

Guess you don't want to play tomorrow then... no wonder you don't text back lol

Text forwarded, your going to get me in trouble :alien:

So my range sessions today...

The last few days after my last time playing a round I noticed that my tempo was way off. So my last two sessions have been focused on getting my tempo back. Let me tell you have I been excited about what I saw.

My ball striking has been spot on...yes I do have the occasional "shank", but not I know what the exact cause is. Tempo!!!

Once the tempo issue was rectified it was time to work on getting my club path where it needed to be. That all clicked during my wedge practice. I finally was able to get my back to remain at the target, while letting my arms just drop into position. Ding, Ding!!! Ball flight expected was achieved.

Everything felt great and I must have hit 250 balls this afternoon. When the lady came to tell me my time was up I pleaded for another 20 mins. This was definitely a range session where I did not want to leave!

*Note I have been gaming the j40 CB*

Do you work on any drills to improve your tempo, or is it swing thought?

So the towel drill work I did yesterday at the range really payed off today with 28 putts. I had really good speed control and burned the edge and lipped out on some long putts. This drill will be with me on the practice green always from now on.

Had a mostly good range session today. The aggressive shoulder turn is really helping my distance and my iron/hybrid ball striking, particularly with the mid and short irons. Had a little hiccup where I had a tough time getting longer clubs (particularly driver) to launch correctly, which I'm pretty sure was due to the shallower swing path and not staying down through the ball - by the end of the session I think I had it figured. Out to practice and hopefully play this weekend and make sure I have it locked down for The King.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Had an awesome and very productive session yesterday afternoon!!!

Main priority was to focus on my Driving. I struggle with a natural fade that I always had. I can control to where I tee off on the right of the box and aim left of the fairway and let the fade pull it center to right side of Fairway.

What I did was center the ball in my stance. Hover the driver and to my amazement I was launching it straight amd about 30 yards farther!!!!!!! 17 years of on and off playing and I finally figured out how to drive straight.....

Now the problem I am noticing. Is that I now have a Charles Barkley like swing lol. Had the gf record some video......when I was playing back high school I had a better swing tempo....and I was about 75 pounds lighter.

Could it be since Ive gain weight my body size is restricting my swing movement?? I still launch the ball 250yd but feels odd and looks bad when I look at my swing... kinda depressing actually lol. Will grt a vid posted soon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Have to golf tomorrow with the Easter thing coming on Sunday. I always forget about Easter. Booked myself for a 7am start tomorrow - should be a balmy 40° at tee off. Yay.

Going to really focus on this 1/2 to 3/4 swing feeling & aggressively coming at the ball with the lower body thing that I've been told to work on. Failed pretty miserably with it last weekend. Or should I say failed at sticking with it. Fingers crossed I can get the driver double cross sorted out as well.

I had a good session today, I worked on the wedges, 8, and 9 irons. I also worked on standing a little further back from the ball and still hit some thin but the good ones were really damn good, I'm surprised.

Last edited:
Spent some time at a Adams demo day, hit a few hybos decent everything else was bad.

So headed over to short game area, started off Shakey and then by the end was sticking them close.

I've accepted I'm not a high lob into greens kinda guy so I'm dialing in my swings and distances and judging rollout on the more line drives that sometimes have a little spin for me.

Short game is light years ahead of where it was last year and still some work to do.

Lesson set for Wednesday, hoping 2 to 3 range sessions before then.

Why can't the swing feel the same 2 days in a row? I felt almost frozen over the ball today. The swing and results were actually pretty solid but for some reason I was having trouble getting comfortable in my stance and pulling the trigger.

Session today was... meh. Irons from GW-7i were awesome, just a slight swing and the ball was landing softly in the area I was aiming. 6i-3h were just off today. Lots of worm burners. Driver was decent, lots of nice straightish shots along with a few playable pull fades and 2 outright pulls, I still think I'm starting with torso more than my lower body and getting too quick when I do that. I have eliminated my biggest miss, the slice, so that does make me happy.

But it was one of those times when I left the range feeling like I not only accomplished nothing, I feel like I took a step backwards almost.

Had kind of a strange range session today. I worked through the whole bag like I usually do. I start with the 56* and chip and then work my way up to the driver.
I save a few balls to finish off with chipping again with my 56* wedge. Everything seemed to be going well, till I got back to the 56* chipping. The first one was fine and then . . . . . 4 shanks in a row ! I want to blame it on having to hit from a mat at this range, but that didn't affect the chips at the beginning of the large bucket.
4 shanks in a row ! I don't think I have ever done that in my life. I took a couple of full practice swings and hit 2 full shots with the wedge and then went back to chipping. The first one was fine and I thought...whew...glad that's over. . . . .and then aarrrgghhh....2 more shanks in a row. Now I'm scared. With only a couple of balls left, I go back and get a small bucket to work this out. I hit 3 or 4 full shots and then go back to chipping. Not another shank out of the bucket. Wow....I hope I have cured that. I will know for sure on Sunday when the wife and I play Circling Raven.

I had a pretty terrible session tonight. Kind of like Erik said, I was just not feeling comfortable over the ball. Irons weren't terrible but my hybrid and 3W were just pitiful. Driver was surprisingly solid, and felt like I was hitting the center of the face really well with it. All in all, a yuck session, one that I need to just let go and move on

I spent about an hour and a half working on chipping and putting. It was a so-so session. I was finding I got the best results when I got the ball on the ground as quickly as I could and let it roll out. The green was pretty slow, so I was having trouble getting the ball to the hole. Need some more work here on Sunday before my round.

Had an OK day at the range today. Really went to get my distances dialed in with my irons. While I think I have a good feel for the distances my dispersion wasn't great. What was frustrating was that I was missing both left and right. Usually when I'm off I only miss in one direction. Started to get things straightened out a little towards the end but would definitely like to tighten up that dispersion.

The THP Range/Practice Thread

Went to the range again today at lunch and hit a medium bucket then I also stopped on the way home from work and hit another medium bucket. Focused mostly on irons

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

I had a pretty terrible session tonight. Kind of like Erik said, I was just not feeling comfortable over the ball. Irons weren't terrible but my hybrid and 3W were just pitiful. Driver was surprisingly solid, and felt like I was hitting the center of the face really well with it. All in all, a yuck session, one that I need to just let go and move on

Tomorrow is another day, just keeping plugging away buddy.

I've accepted I'm not a high lob into greens kinda guy so I'm dialing in my swings and distances and judging rollout on the more line drives that sometimes have a little spin for me.

That's a great realization to come to. Play to your strengths. If you haven't already, you can make some notes of the undulations of the greens you play often so you can use them to reach pins easier.
Pretty awesome to watch those kind of shots in action.

Boy, I tell you there is no substitute for a good teaching pro. Poor Fupresti endured the ugliness that was my game on Sunday. I took a lesson from my guy last night and was back in working order very quickly. I took the corrections to the range today and was just compressing the ball really nicely. I also found a bunch of lost distance and trajectory with my irons. Every once in a great while the game can almost be easy, and dang it is nice when it happens. That lesson was the best golf money I've spent in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back