The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a real productive day at the range. Wind was blowing straight into the face and it really made any miss hit fade exaggerate a lot and lose a ton of distance. Then I remembered a tip to help hit a draw, which I am told by GregDan will change my "I hate and can't play in wind" attitude. By the end, I was able to hit some piercing shots through the wind with irons. Hybrid is still getting really, really high on me and is not good into the wind, yet. Had a new club in the bag today as well and needless to say I was very pleased with the initial run. Need some LM time on Wednesday to confirm what I saw today, but I expect it'll be a keeper.

I had a mixed bag at the range session today. But, it was mostly productive.

Early in the session, I found myself pulling up on the shot at impact rather than striking through the ball. It was a quick fix for the short irons, but the longer irons were a bit of a struggle. Lots of thin strikes and pulls. After a lot of tinkering, I think that I was ultimately standing too far from the ball.

I saw a tip on the proper distance to stand from the ball. It's enough so that your right knee and hip can turn through the ball without hitting the grip. I started using this drill as a key, and it was incredible how well I started striking the ball. This was true up and down the bag. Definitely a keeper for a setup key.

I hit hit several woods and hybrids with the club hovering off the turf at impact. That also made a significant difference in how well I was striking the ball. I don't know what the mechanics are behind this move. But, I'm definitely working on it.

I finished the session hitting about 30 balls to a targets between 75 and 90 yards interchanging between a 54* and 58*. I need to continue this drill.

So for the first time in my short lesson experience (this time around), I got the seal of approval on what I have been working on from my instructor. Basically for the last few weeks I have been working on the beginning of my takeaway and it finally clicked. The instructor wanted me less inside on the take away and that has changed.

While it is still a struggle to feel 100% comfortable, the difference has been quite intriguing and something I am enjoying quite a bit. He gave me a few drills he wants me to work on to maintain this and from there we are going to work on my turn and weight shifting. Pretty excited about the prospects right now of where my game is headed.

When you were getting that takeaway right you saw some pretty great ball flight dude. Nice work.

Getting back to the range later today down here in Miami...time to do some work on spring break.

So for the first time in my short lesson experience (this time around), I got the seal of approval on what I have been working on from my instructor. Basically for the last few weeks I have been working on the beginning of my takeaway and it finally clicked. The instructor wanted me less inside on the take away and that has changed.

While it is still a struggle to feel 100% comfortable, the difference has been quite intriguing and something I am enjoying quite a bit. He gave me a few drills he wants me to work on to maintain this and from there we are going to work on my turn and weight shifting. Pretty excited about the prospects right now of where my game is headed.

What kind of drills are you working on? As Im trying to get away from the inside on my full swings I noticed that last night I was quasi inside on my chipping (which Im sure it was before) and my contact wasnt as crisp as it had been previously.

What kind of drills are you working on? As Im trying to get away from the inside on my full swings I noticed that last night I was quasi inside on my chipping (which Im sure it was before) and my contact wasnt as crisp as it had been previously.

For me its repitition right now. He gave me some drills to work on with a nerf like noodle that I have to miss on my take away to keep me straighter. The problem is when its not there I was going right back. So I started just doing it with my feet together at the range and only bringing it back half way and then pausing and then swinging.

It worked for me because balance was a major issue (more weight shift than balance really). My last time out I felt the swing was different and when I had my lesson this weekend, he confirmed that I was in the right spot (at least on the take away). The problem is as soon as I have a driver in my hand (or anything other than an iron), I am going right back to the old swing. More work is needed, but I really like the guy and the path I am on.

For me its repitition right now. He gave me some drills to work on with a nerf like noodle that I have to miss on my take away to keep me straighter. The problem is when its not there I was going right back. So I started just doing it with my feet together at the range and only bringing it back half way and then pausing and then swinging.

It worked for me because balance was a major issue (more weight shift than balance really). My last time out I felt the swing was different and when I had my lesson this weekend, he confirmed that I was in the right spot (at least on the take away). The problem is as soon as I have a driver in my hand (or anything other than an iron), I am going right back to the old swing. More work is needed, but I really like the guy and the path I am on.

Makes sense, Ive been doing the same thing (mostly with 7I) and rather than a noodle the dude has been crazy enough to stand right there and tells me not to hit him. Not taking full swings, but working on just the take away, I seem to do ok when there is a human being standing back there, but like you the old tendencies creep in when theres not.

But like you I know what needs to be done and will continue putting in the work to do so until Im ready, and then I can get back to playing a crazy amount of golf

New week. I can feel that terrible little tinge of laziness growing that comes from getting out of a routine. I went to FL two weekends ago, then came home and immediately got a rotten cold and everything has thrown me off my game. Back to normal for the most part now though and just need a week or so of the old routine to get back into the swing of things.

Focus this week will be on:

Impact ball warmups to feel the shorter backswing and connected downswing.
Same drills as always.
Right foot driving down into the ball onto a stable front leg. I've finally learned to feel the result of not doing that, because my hips just spin open. Took me awhile to learn that.
Feeling like my hips are really driving towards the target/dry humping the air on the follow through.
Connected arms all the way through.

Grass ranges are open. One thing I noticed yesterday is that I'm not so lie dependent this year, which as a big flipper I really was last year. Bad lies are tough when you're trying to time a flip. Not to say I'm cured of that or anything, but it's better.

The boy and I will probably hit the putting green this week too, though I've got some big concerns about the speeds on the greens around here right now. Hoping they speed up now that grass is growing and they're being mowed, but the shock of going from slow here to fast in FL really screwed up my lag putting touch. That's not going to be an option in July, so I need to either find a faster practice green or another solution entirely.

lol at dry humping.

Ive noticed my slide isnt as bad, but still not happy with it. Figure once I can get the takeaway and mastered we can work on that. Hopefully after lesson #5 Wednesday Im in a better place.

Like the gameplan Hawk, back to the grind

I have my first range session today since my lesson on Thursday. Actually excited to practice with a purpose and get my swing tightened up. Gonna be tough to ingrain such a dramatic change but worth it I believe.

Quick range session before work. Large bucket then putting

I got to play my first round since labor day last week in Henderson, NV. Range session went great and I was striping the ball. Birdied the first hole and thought "damn this game is easy." Quickly got a does of reality and couldn't keep my drives in play. Shot a wicked 46 on the front. Managed to get back on track on the back with a 38. Was pretty happy with an 84 on the first round of the year and a new course. 46 on the front was ugly though. Managed to slow the swing down and get on track on the back though.

Heading out to do some more short game work. I really need to work on distance control with those green side bunker shots.

I think half the fun of playing golf is the battle with trying to decipher what/why things happen in the swing.

Starting this year, my iron game was awesome... on target, great flight, but easily two clubs short of what I am used to. Trying to understand 153 yard carry on a 91mph 7 iron was about to give me a fit, until i really got a couple of good range sessions in to start toying with things.

As it turns out, I was casting really early (and driving hard with my body downward). Keeping my left hand ahead of the clubhead and really concentrating on driving my right hand through more stable rather than flipping early has made a notable difference in my distance, and while I'll need to concentrate on sticking with it, I nearly started giggling when I carried that same 7 165-170 which is where I am more used to seeing it.

I love the range. It sorts so much out for me.

I had this range session today, apart from the fix. Felt like I was hitting it solid, but the ball was going nowhere. I had a few shots that were crushed, but most fell well short of where I thought they should. I guess I have the same issue as you did, just wish I could fix it as easily as you did.

Went today hoping to get some distant gaging in, but the wind was blowing 25-30km/h from right to left, which made it impossible. So, just ended up working on posture and making sure my arms stay close to my body during my turn.

I've been driving really well during the few rounds we've been able to play now in early spring. During the last two rounds I totally lost my driving...huge, and I'm talking 100-200 yard slice misses to the left has taken over my driving. I think I got it, and knew what to do...I didn't...I went to the range today, excited to fix my drive...I kept bombing it...and the problem persisted...I hate this game...I just feel so angry, I could put my drive on the fairway every time earlier, I missed long if anything...now I can't do s**t...irons, dead on...wedges, dead on. Drive...way left. I thinks it's about too fast tempo, weird grip, too steep downswing...but I just didn't get it right today. I'm 100% positive I will get it right, but for now it's just frustrating. Well...tomorrow is a new day.

This week is a hard core week for me with practice as I have my first big tournament of the year this weekend. Our 2 Day Member/Member is this weekend and it will be a good chance to see where I have progressed up to this point for July. I hit the range for about an hour at lunch and will be going back after work to do some putting. I am really excited with how far the wedges have progressed with the Pelz methods I have been working on. the consistency of ball flight and distance is something I have lacked for a long time and it is really pleasing to see. Tomorrow will be focused on longer clubs and short game and then Wed-Fri will be spent 50% on the course hittign shots and the other 50% with my scoring clubs.

First session with irons now that the grass area is open.

It was terrible.

TERRIBLE.

Fat shots constantly. The stupid mats were hiding just how fat I was hitting it. I willingly accepted advice from strangers on the range. That's how bad it was today.

Ended with some decent 6 irons, just thinking "half swing and backhand the ball". But oh man... the sooner this is out of my memory, the better. Just horrible.

Well after working from 11pm Sunday to 430pm today I went to the range. I didn't expect much honestly because I'm pretty exhausted but I the ball extremely well. Hit a large bucket for an hour working on keeping the lower body quiet while working up through the bag. I was very pleased. Then I spent an hour chipping around the green and hitting different style chip shots. All in all it was a very good practice day for me!

eqepaveg.jpg

3eva5yjy.jpg

But first let me take a #RangeSelfie

5ubu4ege.jpg

#RangeSelfie might have to be a standard addition to this thread, I like it!

May not be saying much but had my best range session of the year tonight. Worked on getting away from the inside which has killed me. Was successful on the majority of the shots and the only real bad ones is when I rushed the transition to my down swing. Still not exactly where I need to be but I'm close I can feel it.

Short game work as well, feeling pretty good about that area, continuing to focus on taken wedge shots straight back on my take away as well. Only a few "flips" and maybe 3 bladed shots from looking up early but out of 45 or 50 shots that's not bad for me.

Off day tomorrow after 4 straight days of range time them I'm back to a lesson and range wednesday.

Last edited:
#RangeSelfie might have to be a standard addition to this thread, I like it!

I tried getting it to tend in the practice contest thread with no luck, so I'm pushing it here! lol!

May snot be saying much but had my best range session of the year tonight. Worked on getting away from the inside which has killed me. Was successful on the majority of the shots and the only real bad ones is when I rushed the transition to my down swing. Still not exactly where I need to be but I'm close I can feel it.

Short game work as well, feeling pretty good about that area, continuing to focus on taken wedge shots straight back on my take away as well. Only a few "flips" and maybe 3 bladed shots from looking up early but out of 45 or 50 shots that's not bad for me.

Off day tomorrow after 4 straight days of range time them I'm back to a lesson and range wednesday.

Sounds like the hard work is finally clicking for ya Deano. I like it! Oh and I LOVE your avatar, quite possibly the best quote of all time.

Sounds like the hard work is finally clicking for ya Deano. I like it! Oh and I LOVE your avatar, quite possibly the best quote of all time.

Thanks dude still not quite there but it's closer than it was last week no doubt about it.

Almost changed the avatar today might have to leave it now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back