2014 Morgan Cup - Qualifying Criteria

Say, I am about there JB it's just those darn holes where I will have a nasty shank or end up in the water. Trust me I am watching it, and my team has my back and are pushing me alot. I will get there and there's no doubt about it. Hopefully when I see you in a couple week's I'll be shooting par's and birdies on those easy Flordia course LOL...
Gotcha, just looked it up. That 95 is helping you out quite a bit. A few more like that and you will be fine. Outside of that one, the differential is a bit high, but you will get there.

Say, I am about there JB it's just those darn holes where I will have a nasty shank or end up in the water. Trust me I am watching it, and my team has my back and are pushing me alot. I will get there and there's no doubt about it. Hopefully when I see you in a couple week's I'll be shooting par's and birdies on those easy Flordia course LOL...

if water is a problem, I suspect you should find these courses no trouble at all. In fact most people that come down to FL for THP Events always say "man those courses are easy. And always shoot better than their index of course".

#OutingApproved

if water is a problem, I suspect you should find these courses no trouble at all. In fact most people that come down to FL for THP Events always say "man those courses are easy. And always shoot better than their index of course".

#OutingApproved

A huge LOL to this. :laughing:

Since you only have 5 scores in from this year can you add in your last 15 rounds from last year? You said you played some good golf.

#OutingApproved

Exactly, personally I love places that have "water" in the title, those tend to play the easiest

So are you saying I will shoot guranteed par LOL... So JB as far as THPer's and there handicap, what kind of drops have you seen in the past? Like any major ones where someone has dropped 10 strokes off there game? And also doing the whole handicap and keeping track, should we try to play the same tee's as others or should we play where were comfortable at. Not going to lie I usually play whites and sometimes blues, didn't know if I should be playing blues more often.

#OutingApproved

#OutingApproved
Hahahahahahahahaha. Trees are my problem Josh...any trees 30 yards out off the right corner of the tee box in Florida?

I prefer the comfort of missing into an adjoining fairway rather than a lake, but that's just me :golf:

Since you only have 5 scores in from this year can you add in your last 15 rounds from last year? You said you played some good golf.

This is what I would think. But I dont have seasons, so am unsure.

So are you saying I will shoot guranteed par LOL... So JB as far as THPer's and there handicap, what kind of drops have you seen in the past? Like any major ones where someone has dropped 10 strokes off there game? And also doing the whole handicap and keeping track, should we try to play the same tee's as others or should we play where were comfortable at. Not going to lie I usually play whites and sometimes blues, didn't know if I should be playing blues more often.
If someone puts in the time, I believe they can get there with proper instruction. But I believe someone should play the tees they want to play and best fits their game. I have no idea what the distances are at your course for blues and whites. At the Morgan Cup we dont play from 7000 yards or anything, but we dont play from 6000 either.

I prefer the comfort of missing into an adjoining fairway rather than a lake, but that's just me :golf:

Pfft. They are easy courses Hawk.

I've pretty much forced myself to play 6500+ every time out, which sometimes is hard to do. I'm going to either need to hit it farther via lessons or learn to hit a lot of longer clubs than other people, but either way I need to be ready for it. No use hitting 9 irons when I'll be hitting 7 irons at the event.

TB does make it easy though. In this water? Okay, drop it here.

Easy.

I've pretty much forced myself to play 6500+ every time out, which sometimes is hard to do. I'm going to either need to hit it farther via lessons or learn to hit a lot of longer clubs than other people, but either way I need to be ready for it. No use hitting 9 irons when I'll be hitting 7 irons at the event.

I've been trying to do the same thing. If I can get anywhere from 6300-6600, I am happy. Usually that means playing from the blues on some shorter tracks.

Truthfully I have no clue how far I played this past weekend because we played the Gold tees and they only show Blue White and Red on the scored card. The GPS watch came in handy. They played a little shorter than the Blues and much longer than the whites. If I had to guess it would have been 6300-6400.

Well one of the courses I have a pass is 6505 from the whites and a slope at 133 and the other one that's included in the pass is around 6000 from the tips and slope is around 116. Say All they do at the 6000 is whites so I always play there, and the the 6500 one the blues can be at close to 7000. With that being a course full of tree's and really hilly it makes it tough at 6000. If your not in the fairway off your drives your in some bad doodoo.
If someone puts in the time, I believe they can get there with proper instruction. But I believe someone should play the tees they want to play and best fits their game. I have no idea what the distances are at your course for blues and whites. At the Morgan Cup we dont play from 7000 yards or anything, but we dont play from 6000 either.

It's how I've been playing as well Hawk. I'll move up once in a while to experience 6,300 or move back to experience 6,900 -- But most rounds I try to play are in the 65-6700 range.

Same reason I'm not playing 67.5/105. What good does shooting -4 on a course like that do for me in July?

Well one of the courses I have a pass is 6505 from the whites and a slope at 133 and the other one that's included in the pass is around 6000 from the tips and slope is around 116. Say All they do at the 6000 is whites so I always play there, and the the 6500 one the blues can be at close to 7000. With that being a course full of tree's and really hilly it makes it tough at 6000. If your not in the fairway off your drives your in some bad doodoo.

You should play the more difficult course when ever possible. Yes you will shoot higher scores but always tackle the course with your mind and prepare your course management. That will help your game tremendously

You should play the more difficult course when ever possible. Yes you will shoot higher scores but always tackle the course with your mind and prepare your course management. That will help your game tremendously

There were a few times this weekend where I should have made the smart play but instead tried to be a hero. I definitely have to work on that.

It's how I've been playing as well Hawk. I'll move up once in a while to experience 6,300 or move back to experience 6,900 -- But most rounds I try to play are in the 65-6700 range.

Same reason I'm not playing 67.5/105. What good does shooting -4 on a course like that do for me in July?

Yep, I'm living in that 6400-6700 range right now. Played 6,950 a couple weeks ago just to see more long irons into things, but I know playing 6k really won't do me any good come July.

Maybe venture out a bit and try a few other courses? Per your posting the number I looked up Parkview and I would venture to say that it will play a bit easier than the Morgan Cup courses based on slope and rating. Nothing wrong with that, but based on the distance being played you may want to venture to something a bit tougher, just based on the test that will be ahead.

I say that now not to tell you how to prepare, but knowing the courses that are upcoming.

So Kang you are saying if I can shoot in the higher 90's there that's better than me shooting a much lower score at the easier course? Say the tougher course has the nice fairways with the bent grass and they take great care to the greens compared to the other course. Main reason I play at the other mostly is because there is less people there and I can usually practice more with no hassle.

Coers, to put it in perspective, I can shoot low 80's at my 'home' course most days, but went to Waterlefe and put up a 92. I felt like I played reasonably well at Waterlefe too - especially for so early in the season. You have to really learn to manage your game on tough courses like that. And - tee shots will kill you if you're way offline, where around here there are plenty of courses that will still give you a shot - or at least not give you a penalty.

So Kang you are saying if I can shoot in the higher 90's there that's better than me shooting a much lower score at the easier course? Say the tougher course has the nice fairways with the bent grass and they take great care to the greens compared to the other course. Main reason I play at the other mostly is because there is less people there and I can usually practice more with no hassle.

There is a balance. Playing tougher courses will be more test and preparation. Easier courses will be confidence boost which is good. But a good balance of the two with a lean toward tougher courses will be the best formula. If you are worried about shooting high scores at tough courses and effecting your handicap, don't be. The system accounts for tougher courses and your differential will not be as high

I agree with you there JB. Say usually if it's a weekend I try and play other courses and usually they are tougher than the Parkview one. Say me and Parshooter36 just played a Raymond Folyd designed course (Red Tail Decatur IL) on Friday and I thought it's tougher than the one I usually play. I'll keep at it JB and just keep digging harder.
Maybe venture out a bit and try a few other courses? Per your posting the number I looked up Parkview and I would venture to say that it will play a bit easier than the Morgan Cup courses based on slope and rating. Nothing wrong with that, but based on the distance being played you may want to venture to something a bit tougher, just based on the test that will be ahead.

I say that now not to tell you how to prepare, but knowing the courses that are upcoming.

Coers, to put it in perspective, I can shoot low 80's at my 'home' course most days, but went to Waterlefe and put up a 92. I felt like I played reasonably well at Waterlefe too - especially for so early in the season. You have to really learn to manage your game on tough courses like that. And - tee shots will kill you if you're way offline, where around here there are plenty of courses that will still give you a shot - or at least not give you a penalty.

To put it into perspective, from similar distances, the Parkview course has a slope of about 105. Caledonia has a slope of 134. These playing from similar distances of the 6000-6100 range. Caledonia moved back to 6500 and the slope is 140.

Back