2014 Morgan Cup - Qualifying Criteria

Hummmm, I thought in our practice round on Thursday we played the up tees cause we thought it would be there for Friday's match but then it ended up being a tee set from behind what we played. 6,100 yards sounds really short. I just can't remember.

That's your fault if Dean was making you guys play from the ladies tees at Caledonia for your practice rounds. :alien:

Hahahaha I am just jokin you Nate. Jokin you real good.

I think Nate is confused

Another thing to think about when it comes to considering Caledonia and length... It's a par 70 with three par 5s and 5 par 3s, one of which is a 110 yarder.

I didn't find it terribly long from where we played, but it certainly does not play like your standard 6,100 yard par 72.

Yes. It's not bomb and gouge at all. You have to understand what you are wanting to do every time you step up to a shot.

Yes. It's not bomb and gouge at all. You have to understand what you are wanting to do every time you step up to a shot.
Exactly. Hit it straight, put ball in hole. #Easy

Plenty of time to work with instructor and gain distance if that is a goal.
To be fair, I dont believe we will be playing singles from that distance, but we wont be playing singles from 6100 yards either. The other rounds are team based.

Trust me, I've been searching for extra distance for over 20 years. I just don't generate enough clubhead speed, sad but true.

I had thought you said you were working with an instructor. Sometimes clean and good contact is enough to give someone significantly more distance along with creating more lag. Could be thinking about someone else however.

I had thought you said you were working with an instructor. Sometimes clean and good contact is enough to give someone significantly more distance along with creating more lag. Could be thinking about someone else however.

I have been, his main focus has been ball striking which has improved for me. Every time I ask about more distance, he just emphasizes that accuracy is more important.
Maybe I need a new instructor, I don't know, but I already drive an hour to get to this guy. The next guy was 90 minutes away, (ah the joy of living in the sticks!) I'm not sure I have the time or the money to take on a new instructor at this point.
That being said, I didn't go in to the lessons expecting him to find 50 extra yards in my swing. I'm too much of a realist for that.

I have been, his main focus has been ball striking which has improved for me. Every time I ask about more distance, he just emphasizes that accuracy is more important.
Maybe I need a new instructor, I don't know, but I already drive an hour to get to this guy. The next guy was 90 minutes away, (ah the joy of living in the sticks!) I'm not sure I have the time or the money to take on a new instructor at this point.
That being said, I didn't go in to the lessons expecting him to find 50 extra yards in my swing. I'm too much of a realist for that.

Just focus on consistency. At least for me now, I focus on playing bogey golf. If I try to push it and start getting delusions of grandeur thats where I get in trouble. I am perfectly happy to par a par 5 rather than go after it and take a snowman. I pick my battles and look at the holes that set up well for me and try to put some good numbers up on those and minimize the damage on the longer holes. Maybe thats not being aggressive enough but thats where I am at now.

Just focus on consistency. At least for me now, I focus on playing bogey golf. If I try to push it and start getting delusions of grandeur thats where I get in trouble. I am perfectly happy to par a par 5 rather than go after it and take a snowman. I pick my battles and look at the holes that set up well for me and try to put some good numbers up on those and minimize the damage on the longer holes. Maybe thats not being aggressive enough but thats where I am at now.

Dev,
Am I missing something or with your index should you be ahead of that game of bogey golf with with chances at going lower on courses with ratings at less than 72?

My boy Parshooter is being a bit hard on himself in here. His game is rounding into form nicely, and he will be just fine down in Myrtle Beach. Proud doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about him.

Dev,
Am I missing something or with your index should you be ahead of that game of bogey golf with with chances at going lower on courses with ratings at less than 72?

You are not missing anything. I focus on being consistent. My post above was in terms of distance on longer holes. On holes that I am capable of reaching I definitely am trying to make birdie or par. I know I will not be making any eagles so I dont waste my time going for it. I play for bogey with the hope of a birdie or par. 17 and 18 in my round over the weekend I had looks at birdie because I was in the fairway and was able to hit a short iron. My long irons are very inconsistent and thats something I need to work on more and more. I am working on being smart out on the course and not pushing myself to the limit because in the past that has lead to blow up holes for me. I still have alot of work left to do but I am making progress.

Good for you buddy. With three months to go, plenty of time still for instruction and practice.

Good for you buddy. With three months to go, plenty of time still for instruction and practice.

Plenty of time but it sure doesnt feel like it. July is coming fast. I have my next 4 lessons booked up until June. First time in maybe forever, that I am really excited about how I am playing.

Regardless of the team you are on, I am so excited and proud of the progress everyone is making in anticipation for the Morgan Cup. My own journey itself is so exciting, but being able to share in the experience with 39 others makes this event so special. Good luck to you all.

I agree with you here Brad. I would take his 210 straight drive everytime if I could. I was quiet impressed when he could do that on every freaking drive. That is something I wish I could do with my driver. He's doing a great job!!!!
My boy Parshooter is being a bit hard on himself in here. His game is rounding into form nicely, and he will be just fine down in Myrtle Beach. Proud doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about him.

Has everyone at least signed up to get an official handicap thus far? I would just hate for someone to have put it off and try and get one at the last minute. The more rounds of golf you have in there leading up to the MC, the better!!

I need to sign up, I signed up for the free portion and have the trend but not official yet. I think I can get it low enough in time for The Morgan Cup.

Marc I would think if you can win a Invitational you shouldn't have a problem with the handicap part.
I need to sign up, I signed up for the free portion and have the trend but not official yet. I think I can get it low enough in time for The Morgan Cup.

So Kang you are saying if I can shoot in the higher 90's there that's better than me shooting a much lower score at the easier course? Say the tougher course has the nice fairways with the bent grass and they take great care to the greens compared to the other course. Main reason I play at the other mostly is because there is less people there and I can usually practice more with no hassle.

I'm coming into this late but you have been making progress in your swing from what I have been looking at. I need to know where you are loosing your shots so we can get you you down. Bogie golf ain't gonna get it done for you or your team.

PM me or post in the swing tips forum what you need help with and I'll do my best assist.

-------------

This holds true for anyone in the MC. I am dedicated to making sure you all have the tolls needed to play in this event. Prep means nothing if you are working on the wrong things or practicing the right things wrong.

I'm coming into this late but you have been making progress in your swing from what I have been looking at. I need to know where you are loosing your shots so we can get you you down. Bogie golf ain't gonna get it done for you or your team.

PM me or post in the swing tips forum what you need help with and I'll do my best assist.

-------------

This holds true for anyone in the MC. I am dedicated to making sure you all have the tolls needed to play in this event. Prep means nothing if you are working on the wrong things or practicing the right things wrong.

Freddie, you are the man!

No excuses at all now gents. Time to turn on the after burners. You have all the resources you need to succeed.

-------------

And I know Freddie truly means it, he helped a lot of people on the range at the event itself!

-------------

Thanks Freddie I need all the help I can get and you have known that since I first sent you a swing video this winter. Have made some great progress because of you and can't thank you enough man. I might not be the sharpest knife but with plenty of strides with a stone I'll be sharp. Say I feel like I am about there to dropping my score just have to keep at it and it will come. And Freddie I sent you a PM. #JourneyToBetter

This sounds like an amazing event. Hope to one day be able to participate. Good luck to all of those selected!

Back