Wilson Staff M3 Driver - THP Preview

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
In for a THP homepage Review is the new Wilson Staff M3 driver. The driver features six-different loft settings as well as interchangeable sole weights and it is paired with the Aldila RIP Phenom 50 shaft.

As with the rest of the M3 line, the finish catches the eyes first. Unlike the fairway, the driver has a single alignment aid on the crown. In all, the face is a little deeper than we have seen from W/S before and that has allowed them to feature a much more compact overall look from address with the classic pear shape. The driver features Wilson's Multi-Fit system for the six different lofts and three different sole weights so players can personalize the setu fully from superlight to much more traditional.

Information on the M3 Driver:

MULTI FIT SYSTEM

The six separate loft settings and three performance-enhancing sole weight options in the Multi Fit System make this driver customizable for optimized trajectory and increased club head speeds. The driver head comes set at an initial loft of 9.5°. Based on the player’s preferred ball flight, lofts can be adjusted to 8.5°, 9.0°, 9.5°, 10.5°, 11.0° and 11.5°. The Super Light (silver) 3-gram sole weight, The Right Light (gold) 7-gram sole weight and the Traditional (black) 11-gram sole weight all come included in a pouch with an adjustability wrench and manual.

VARIABLE FACE THICKNESS
A variable thickness face maximizes CT across the face and increases ball speeds.

CHEMICALLY-ETCHED CROWN

The lighter chemically-etched crown helps create a favorable sound and ideal mass redistribution.

COMPACT HEAD SHAPE

The deep face, smaller footprint and tour-preferred pear shape make the 460cc head appear more compact at address.

DARK FINISH

An iced matte painted crown and black PVD finish provides an understated yet performance-inspiring look.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Head Volume460cc
GripLamkin Crossline Black 360
Shaft OptionsAldila RIP Phenom 50 & Aldila RIP Phenom NL 60
Flex OptionsX, S, R, A (Phenom 50) & S, R, A (Phenom NL 60)
Player CategoryFeel, Control
HandRH, LH
Offset-
Standard Lengths45.75

In-Hand Pictures:
DSC_0309-L.jpg

DSC_0306-L.jpg

DSC_0307-L.jpg

DSC_0310-L.jpg

DSC_0312-L.jpg

DSC_0311-L.jpg

DSC_0313-L.jpg

DSC_0314-L.jpg

DSC_0315-L.jpg

DSC_0316-L.jpg

DSC_0317-L.jpg

DSC_0318-L.jpg

DSC_0319-L.jpg

DSC_0327-L.jpg

DSC_0328-L.jpg

DSC_0329-L.jpg

DSC_0333-L.jpg

DSC_0321-L.jpg

DSC_0324-L.jpg

I'm a big fan of the finish, the headcover, and that shaft. Can't wait to hear more.

That's deep! Great looking driver.

god that is really sharp looking. If it plays as good as it looks, Wilson will have a winner

That's a great looking driver. To avoid saying the exact same thing in the Fw thread, I love the half degree adjustments. They just seem to really help fine tune your launch

Love that sight dot. Subtle and cool looking.

The phenom is such an interesting pairing. I love how dynamic that shaft is throughout the weight progression.

As always great pictures. Say is this what you were mashing out on the course today?

• Staff
I agree, its a looker. I'm eager to get it out and see what the stock setup feels like, should be ESPECIALLY intriguing to see what the different weights will do.

Just goes to show how Wilson Staff is making #PersonalDistance their mantra this year.

Jman, what are the purposes of switching the weights? Besides feel do they change ball flight at all?

As always great pictures. Say is this what you were mashing out on the course today?

Nope, this one was waiting for me when I got home. Should have it on range tomorrow though.

Just goes to show how Wilson Staff is making #PersonalDistance their mantra this year.

Jman, what are the purposes of switching the weights? Besides feel do they change ball flight at all?

Its all about, as they call it, "Finding the right light", it lest the user find what weight they respond to the best to optimize their swing speed. For many that will likely be the lightest setup, but for some players SS actually goes up with a little more weight. Its really simple fine tuning basically to use in combo with the loft settings to optimize the ball speeds and the launch as well. Pretty interesting thoughts/concept, something I'm definitely going to hone in on for this and the fairway review.

W/S nailed the look here classic pear shape and that finish is pure sexy

Wow, really nice looking. I like the adjustability, matte look and shaft option. And the headcover is sick. Wilson is a possiable addition to my bag pretty soon after all these nice clubs they are bringing out.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I kicked a SLDR out of the bag after demoing this bad boy. It really is a quality driver and IMO the best adjustable on the market and this coming from an Adams homer. The deep face doesn't slow your speed down as some might think. It's got a muted pop at impact and the ball just leaps off the face of the club. It really is an explosive, well crafted driver.

Okay, okay I'm a W/S homer.

I think it's brilliant that they give you all the weights. This is going to be a really cool review. Are you going to be playing with the loft settings and the weights at those settings? Does the face angle change with the loft or does it sit neutral like a Smart pad regardless of the loft?

I really like the looks of that at address. Look forward to hearing how it performs.

That is a great looking driver. I tried one the other and it felt real good, only hit about 5 balls with it so cant give proper feedback.

I love it dude, that thing looks beautiful. There is something about black or dark charcoal clubs that I love standing over, it's almost like the inspire confidence.

It's possible that Jman hit the jackpot getting to review this driver and the irons. I am excited to see what you find out through testing.

I thought you'd be chiming in Brad, haha.

Should be getting to the range for a little getting to know you today, also plan on tinkering with the weight setup a bit today too.

I can't get over how huge the hosels are on these adjustable clubs. They are like the size of my thumb. It's just a different look compared to others out there.

I can't get over how huge the hosels are on these adjustable clubs. They are like the size of my thumb. It's just a different look compared to others out there.

Yep, your eyes cannot help but go directly to them. Obviously that can change with performance, but man it was the first thing I noticed when I was taking pictures. Its like the width of the old Nike Dymo adapters but screws from the bottom and not the top IMO.

What a freaking looker. Can't wait to hear some feedback, I've been rooting for W/S to break through in the metalwood market for some time.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

That face looks very R1-ish to me, which I love.

That face looks very R1-ish to me, which I love.

Its actually deeper than the R1 IIRC, which is surprising and cook all at the same time.

I purchased this driver a couple months ago. One small note is there is not a 10 degree setting with this club (no big deal). I haven't played my best with it yet, but it definitely will put the ball out there if you do your job. Playing around with different lofts and weights are fun and new to me. I look forward to your thoughts Jman.

Back