Is par always a good score

I am always happy with par. Of course, I stink so that has to be taken into consideration.

For me par is always a great score. I will take it and run to the next hole.

I think we here at THP we are a little unique in that most of us are putting time into bettering our games. There are time when par is an unacceptable score as we begin the analysis because we know it should have been better.

One of the things I like to do is break down my card at the end of every round. Sure it's a game of "what if" because the score is the score based on your play that day, but I like to know where I left strokes out there. Sometimes it's pars that should have been birdies or 3 putting a par 5. In the end I think it boils down to the player and what their level of expectations are.

There are times when I have legitimate birdie chances (8-12 foot simple putts), that when I miss, I feel a little disappointment. But for me, that disappointment is gone by the time I'm off the green with my par. It doesn't matter what the hole is, par for me is good. Our first hole is 95 yards to the center of the green. The green is totally flat with no break anywhere. Par is still good. We have another hole that is a par 4 playing 245 yards to the front edge. Although I've earned more birdies and eagles on that hole than anywhere else, I still feel good about a par when I get it. The way I view it, I'm not losing anything on the field by making par on holes like that.

~Rock

Do you think Par is always a good score? Do you kick yourself for making par sometimes when you were in position for birdie or better?

I know old man par or good but is it always the best?

Par is always a good score for me. That doesn't mean that I'm happy when I'm on the green or close in 2 strokes on a par 5, then take 3 more to get down, but par is always gong to be a good score when I add up the total.

When standing on the tee box, yes. As JB said, give me 18 of them. But I think par is not good when we make it by missing 3 footers for birdie.

You are on the green, with a 4 footer for birdie. You miss it. Some people are going to be really upset, but you have to consider how much went right to get to that position. It can also be viewed as an indication that your game is coming together. Being 4 feet away with a birdie opp is huge regardless what happens next. At least from my perspective.

Our college coach always said playing for Par was the goal.... 18 pars does get you to a decent score I would say. More pars
Typically means more birdie chances

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I'll definitely take a par but that doesn't always mean that I'm happy walking off a hole with one. 3 putt pars have been mentioned and they are very annoying. Missing an easy, flat putt for birdie always leaves me disappointed. I don't think it's bad, just disappointing.

For someone who is trying to lower his handicap, par is never bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Par is always a good score for me. Birdie is better, but it is rare that I walk off the green disappointed that I didn't get a birdie.

Par is a good score. IMO you always want to shoot your best score on each hole. Best medicine is to take what the course gives you.

Do you think Par is always a good score? Do you kick yourself for making par sometimes when you were in position for birdie or better?

I know old man par or good but is it always the best?

With the exception of hitting par 5s in two, par is a great score. I'll take 18 straight and smile all the way home.

Heck I'm happy with bogies so when I get pars, its drinks for everyone.

If someone said to me you can have 18 pars I would be more than happy, but at my handicap I am happy with the majority of pars I make although that might not be the case if I miss that short putt when I have a birdie chance

Par is good.

I'll take 18 of them every time, please.

For me, yes.

i think par is good but it doesn't mean i won't beat myself up for missing a good birdie opportunity.

I will take 18 of them.

This^^^^^^^... Heck I will take eight of them and ten bogies :bananadance:. I just hate the higher than bogey numbers. :angry:

Ole Gray said:
I just hate the higher than bogey numbers. :angry:

Yep, this. They hurt me deeply haha

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

For me? Yes it is. I am still hunting my first birdie.

If you told me on the tee box that I would make par, I would be happy. If I miss an easy birdie putt, then I am disappointed.

The simple answer is yes.

Unless I miss a really short putt for birdie I am happy with par at this point in my game because I'm not a scratch golfer. Once I get to a point where I am scratch and I know which holes should be my easier birdie holes I would be more upset about shooting par or worse. I do have a couple holes on a couple courses around here that I always know should be birdie holes, specifically par 5's that I can reach in 2 or at least set myself up with a nice easy pitch on my 3rd shot. I am usually bummed if I don't get a birdie on those holes.

If you told me that I would shoot par almost every time I went out to play, I'd be happy with that I think. Unless I'm hitting shots in on par 5's are within 20 feet or better on my 2nd or 3rd shots, where I should make Birdie or better, then most of the time I'll be happy with par. Don't get me wrong, par is a good score and I want to do better, but most of the time, Par is my friend.

to me there is only one situation when I will not be happy with par, and its if I hit a par 5 in two and 3 putt, otherwise, a par is as good as a birdie for me
That is about the same as I feel, if I could ever get to the point of being lucky to consistently shoot par, then I'll worry about those birdies.

Back