Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

Thanks buddy! I actually like a four iron. The XF irons I had came 5 - PW so instead of looking for a four iron I borrowed my wife's 4H as she plays men's regular flex too. It will be fun to have one again and hopefully I still remember how to hit one 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats on the new irons OG. I hope you enjoy them as much as I am enjoying mine. On a side note, the smart sole wedges are stupid easy to hit as well. I have hit some beautiful flops with the S wedge and I fear no bunker. I actually kind of like going into bunkers now. Also enjoying the smart square putter. Cleveland really got it right, in my opinion, with this line of clubs.

Congrats on the new irons OG. I hope you enjoy them as much as I am enjoying mine. On a side note, the smart sole wedges are stupid easy to hit as well. I have hit some beautiful flops with the S wedge and I fear no bunker. I actually kind of like going into bunkers now. Also enjoying the smart square putter. Cleveland really got it right, in my opinion, with this line of clubs.

As a matter of fact I have the S wedge and have really enjoyed it out of the sand! We have alot of large traps at my golf course where this will be a welcomed addition to my bag. It cam in handy last week in Florida too! Great little club for sure.

As a matter of fact I have the S wedge and have really enjoyed it out of the sand! We have alot of large traps at my golf course where this will be a welcomed addition to my bag. It cam in handy last week in Florida too! Great little club for sure.

You hot that club well out of the sand when I saw you.

You hot that club well out of the sand when I saw you.

Yea it works like a charm. I came out of a deep waste bunker to the left of hole #16. The ball flew about 20 yards and then did a little jig on the green. Josh, Barry, & Shane said it spun like a pro shot :thumb:

Twoods, Im glad your liking the clubs. I agree Cleveland nailed the SGI line this year.

There's always the 3 Altitude. I love it. Just as remarkably easy to hit as the rest. A nice fairway finder off the tee as well for extra tight tee shots

Thinking of getting the 3i. Really love the 4 & 5.

I love the 3, hit a lot of great shots with it today!

I couldn't hit the 3 off the deck to save my life, but off the tee....it was a LOT of fun.

I couldn't hit the 3 off the deck to save my life, but off the tee....it was a LOT of fun.

I think I hit it better off the deck today, somehow, thinned a few off the tee.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Not sure I've ever been crazy enough to swing a 3 but the 4 was awesome off the tee and was easily one of the better 4 irons off the deck for me hands down

Not sure I've ever been crazy enough to swing a 3 but the 4 was awesome off the tee and was easily one of the better 4 irons off the deck for me hands down

Post MC I really think I mimic JB and put a couple back in my bag of the long Alts...at least. The 4i was bliss for me off the tee too, SO good...and LONG.

Post MC I really think I mimic JB and put a couple back in my bag of the long Alts...at least. The 4i was bliss for me off the tee too, SO good...and LONG.

Truth! I am still pondering 4 Altitude or 4 MT vs Hybrid in this slot for the MC bag--obviously this depends on options open.

I find the 3 and 4 easy to hit off of either, but love them off the deck. I haven't had this much confidence with long irons since I don't know when.

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to hitting the 4 iron off the tee on a few tight par four holes. I miss having a 4i in my bag :golf2:. If I was a Cleveland staffer and the long irons were available for short/tight par fours and longish par threes, I'd have to go into serious ponder mode.

I shot a horrible 104 this morning, decided to play 18 more and turned in a 105 :beat-up:
The cold wind, gusting from 15-25, made club selection a total crap shoot, not mention hitting greens was extremely tough. In spite of that, I'd say I hit the Altitudes very well today, overall. My horrible scores are almost all due to penalty stokes gained from poor driving, and pathetic wedge play. I only hit a couple of bad shots with the hyrons today, most were really good, nice and straight. Matter of fact, I hit some of the best shots I have ever hit with the 3, 6, and 7. It's kind of anti climactic, however, when you hit a lovely approach on the green with a 3, but it's your fourth on a par 4 due an OB drive. I hit several like that today. I also hit a couple that were right at it, but just couldn't get there due to the wind. I could have really used a 2 hyron today.

I shot a horrible 104 this morning, decided to play 18 more and turned in a 105 :beat-up:
The cold wind, gusting from 15-25, made club selection a total crap shoot, not mention hitting greens was extremely tough. In spite of that, I'd say I hit the Altitudes very well today, overall. My horrible scores are almost all due to penalty stokes gained from poor driving, and pathetic wedge play. I only hit a couple of bad shots with the hyrons today, most were really good, nice and straight. Matter of fact, I hit some of the best shots I have ever hit with the 3, 6, and 7. It's kind of anti climactic, however, when you hit a lovely approach on the green with a 3, but it's your fourth on a par 4 due an OB drive. I hit several like that today. I also hit a couple that were right at it, but just couldn't get there due to the wind. I could have really used a 2 hyron today.

You're making me feel better. I was lucky enough to get to play on Saturday and had high hopes. We'd had extremely heavy rain last week (my basement flooded) and the course had standing water and hadn't been mowed other than the greens. The fairways were about an inch thick and the rough was about 6 inches.

The first 6 holes, I stayed out of the rough and was playing some pretty good golf for me (about a 42 pace). Then I started getting erratic off the tee (not too much, but enough to be in the rough) and the score just exploded. I couldn't get out of the rough with anything -- Altitudes, Niblicks, Mashies, Xhot. It didn't matter. I knew how the guys felt at Muirfield not too long ago.

I can't blame the Altitudes though. They were solid. I just didn't have anything in my bag that could get me out of the rough. It was particularly bad around the green when I couldn't stop it on the green from the rough.

Mine should come in Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest. I'm looking forward to posting my thoughts on these irons very soon :thumb:

Finally got to try these out at a demo day yesterday and darnit if they weren't as good if not better than the HB3's I tried a few years ago. I think this design really works for my sweeper of a swing.

Finally got to try these out at a demo day yesterday and darnit if they weren't as good if not better than the HB3's I tried a few years ago. I think this design really works for my sweeper of a swing.

I'm a sweeper and think they work well for sweepers. The leading edge seems to work for some diggers though.

I personally like these a lot more than the HB3s. I've owned multiple sets of both in both graphite and steel (in both).

I actually put the 4 and 5 in my bag for today's round, just to tinker. They definitely made a difference on my way to a PB. A GIR on a par 3, a tee shot that stayed in bounds on a bad swing, and a great second shot into a par 5 were all good results. 180-185 with the 5 and 195 with the 4 are very good numbers for me. It puts a good gap between my 6i, but I suppose that's a good problem to have.

It's been a while since I gamed these, but results are results and my swing is different now. I'd like to spend some time hitting these out of the rough because I had some issues with that in the past, but these have my attention again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I actually put the 4 and 5 in my bag for today's round, just to tinker. They definitely made a difference on my way to a PB. A GIR on a par 3, a tee shot that stayed in bounds on a bad swing, and a great second shot into a par 5 were all good results. 180-185 with the 5 and 195 with the 4 are very good numbers for me. It puts a good gap between my 6i, but I suppose that's a good problem to have.

It's been a while since I gamed these, but results are results and my swing is different now. I'd like to spend some time hitting these out of the rough because I had some issues with that in the past, but these have my attention again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds good Philly! I really love the the long clubs in this set, the 3 is quickly becoming my favorite club of them all. I had a train wreck this past Saturday, score wise, but hit some of the best shots of my life with the 3.

Still pondering if I want to replace my X Hot 8-A with Alt's MT or TT's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally gamed the 4 and 5 hybrid irons today. Mmmmm, they were long and I wasn't prepared for them to be that long. I knew they were long on the range but more so on the course. On a par 5 today, my phone gps said I had about 202 to the front of the green and about 205 to the bunker. I pulled the 4 as I've only been hitting it about 170 on the range. Man, I must have hit it just right because I hit that ball right into that bunker.

Not a helpful post on my part, but just checking in to read the latest replies. Waiting on my clubs to be delivered it will be two weeks this coming Friday since I placed my order. I can't wait to get them in my hands.

Aaa agh. Was at the range and after a pretty normal swing my PW Head snapped off. Purchased these through golfsmith so I'm hoping I can get a replacement pretty easily.

duqagy5u.jpg

Oh SNAP! (See what I did there, eh? Eh? EEEEEEEEH?)

Seriously though, that sucks bad, hopefully you get it all worked out though Brett.

Back