Golf, Strength or Flexibility ?

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
After reading a couple threads this morning it got me thinking about which one I lack and which one I want more and for me right now I want Flexibility. As the aging process has begun the one thing I see in good golfers of any age is incredible flexibility, From guys like Crenshaw, Woods, Els, and many others, they all seem to be able to get great turns. I'm going to try and work on that.

What would you rather have, strength or flexibility?

I guess the easy answer is both

But if I had to focus on one, I'd go with flexibility as well.

My swing has shortened drastically over the past two years and I don't feel less strong, but I can definitely feel the loss of flexibility in many every day activities.

I have started stretching a little everyday (along with some light weight lifting and cardio a few times a week) but I'm sure I could do more.

I'd rather have flexibility. I think strength will only get you so far. Good flexibility will help your game and improve your longevity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

If only choosing one I would say flexibility.

Flexibility FTW IMO

Flexibility. Hands down.

Jamie Sadlowski 5'11" 165 Although he shows clear signs of both he is an extreme example where flexibility wins.

You don't really have to choose imo. I don't think strength training has ever hurt anyone's game. Most body builders are far more flexible than the average person.

Flexibility is my choice. I know people who I'm stronger than who can hit the ball further due to their flexibility. You can throw good balance in with flexibility and you got some pep in ya step :thumb:.

I would want flexibility over sheer strength.

But "golf strength" is something totally different than sheer power.

Flexibility would do so much for me, could accomplish what I would need from an increase in strength

Flexibility. The swing puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the spine - flexibility is key to avoiding these problems. I think as we get older, and nature takes its toll on flexibility, we see more golfers with back issues.

Flexibility for me. You can have all the strength in the world but if you cannot get into the correct positions or injury occurs then it will get you no where

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Flexibility, for sure.

Flexibility, we senior golfers know for a fact that flexibility is much more important.

you can do it both ways look at bubba skinny and lanky. doesnt seem like he could bench 200 lbs but flexable. now take JB Holmes who is doing well this week stocky country boy with a short back swing just ripping it out there with pure strength.

Forced to choose one. Flexibility wins. But I ultimately want flexible strenghth. Which then means you have proper strength while maintaining good flexibility. The most important strength I feel in golf is rotational strength and rotational explosiveness.

Core strength and flexibility for this guy.

I'll keep the strength I have and would like to increase my flexibility.

Flexibility hands down. Being flexible can prevent a lot of injuries.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I need flexibility. Have never been very flexible but I know it would help my game.

Better for golf I choose flexible. But for life in general I want both. I have always been both pretty strong and flexible. Approaching 50 I see a small decline in both. Of course being over weight I think affects more of the flexibility part and would certainly help everything if I ate better.

But what I want most is whatever brings consistency. So many are saying more flexible and I would ask would you still be ale to control the extra torque and speed anyway? I would assume being more flexible helps with tempo which can lead to better golf over all. But the game still requires great coordination and discipline for great swings. This is imo a good topic

I'm 5'9" and 240 pounds. I can get on the bench press and pop out reps of 315 pounds no problem. But my average carry with my driver is no more than 250 yards. My PW is my 130 yard club.

My golf instructors son is around 6' and 160 pounds and was bombing his driver around 290 carry on Trackman with the longest total distance being 308 yards.

So I'm thinking strength has the least to do with it. Form/technique first, then flexibility (which will make getting the form/technique down easier), then strength last.

How about "explosive power"? but i definitely need some more flexability.

Back