The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

I'm learning to do everything slower, calmer and softer. I've gained a lot of distance compared to last year, and I just need to focus on keeping the ball in play, making effortless shots and bold putts. I'm learning to sleep, to not overthink and staying in the zone.

Last year I was more about repetitions. This time it's about the head, short game and putting.

I'm honing my pre-shot routine, my setup and what I want to feel just before I take the shot. Consistency.

Last edited:
The pressure to improve mounts higher and higher as time goes by. It IS the ultimate event

37 with snow flurries but the Morgan Cup will wait for no one! How bad do you want it? #TeamHackers
a2u3aguz.jpg

Taking lessons. Working on the mental side of the game.

Erik hit it right on the head. I feel much calmer about my prep than I did last year. Im sure the nerves will be there on the first tee again this year, especially being the first group out. I've prepped much harder than last year and been more methodical about my practice routine. It's not just about going to the range and hitting balls, there are specific things that I work on.

Are you getting lessons this year or going it alone?

I have a question for everyone, old and new. What has been different about this event prep vs other events you may have played in.

Just for the afternoon crowd

I think today was an example. I went to the range in 37 degree weather as I want to have no excuse come July.

Definate the difference is motivation. I have always wanted to be better for me, but having a team relying on me to be better was the kick I needed to make this happen!

A lot more practice 160 and in. I figure I'll be hitting a lot of those. Also, a lot of short game and putting practice. Fun when it pays off and makes up for the sore back when putting for a long time

The accountability to my team, JB/GG and my sponsor.

JM

Are you getting lessons this year or going it alone?

Yep that includes lessons. My pro and I tore down my swing in September and have rebuilt it from the ground up. I knew that the only way to continue to improve was go this route. It's been an exciting/frustrating/rewarding process.

I have a question for everyone, old and new. What has been different about this event prep vs other events you may have played in.

I treat this event like no other. I have been busying myself with money games, team games, and looking forward to playing through all day heat next month to prepare for everything that the Morgan Cup brings. There isn't another established golf event that gives me this kind of drive for my game.

I hope you guys are adding physical conditioning to your prep work. It will be critical for your afternoon matches Saturday!

Excellent advice, don't under estimate how 36 holes will take a toll on your body.

If you get a chance try and push yourself to play more than 18 holes in one day as prep for sure. And at the very least 18 hole rounds in back to back days.

Excellent advice, don't under estimate how 36 holes will take a toll on your body.

If you get a chance try and push yourself to play more than 18 holes in one day as prep for sure. And at the very least 18 hole rounds in back to back days.

At TheKing on Saturday afternoon I was drained by the back 9 of the second round. I played 36 in a day to prepare but nothing could get me ready for that heat.

I've never been in an event that provided so much inspiration to improve my game. I've joined a club, played and practiced more than ever before. I'm taking the time to understand what I should be doing and learning from those lower handicaps around me. I'm putting a bigger focus on course management as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I've never been in an event that provided so much inspiration to improve my game. I've joined a club, played and practiced more than ever before. I'm taking the time to understand what I should be doing and learning from those lower handicaps around me. I'm putting a bigger focus on course management as well.

I'll tell you man, the management aspect is the most important thing.

Great question Freddie. This event has totally changedmy prep. I would have never started playing in tournaments nor wouldni have taken my short game as seriously as I have. Everything has been kicked up a notch.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

Totally agree. What has kind of surprised me is how much less time I've spent at the driving range and how much more time I've spent working with my wedges and putter.

This event has consumed me and driven me to work on my game like I've never done before. I've been working on my swing and putting in my basement, I've joined a golf league and been playing a ton more golf, I've been reading books on the mental side of golf, I've been paying a TON more attention to equipment and really figuring out what clubs I need in my bag instead of what clubs are usually found in a bag. I've never been in a competitive event before, so this is all new to me, but I feel that it's making me even better for the long term, not just for July.

The difference for this event is that I took the time to talk to guys who play more competitively and establish a plan to improve based on those discussions. A plan is only as good as the follow through, and so far, I have taken five lessons from a quality instructor (with the sixth this week), practiced the corresponding changes in between the lessons, and focused on playing as checkpoints more than as just reps.

My prep has been well beyond that though. As a captain of one of the teams, I am also keeping track of my seven teammates, talking to them almost daily and building a team while helping them the best I can not to repeat the mistakes I had made in the past. I have been able to play rounds with almost half of my squad since it was named, which really allowed me to use personal knowledge in setting up a game plan for the event itself. All the while, I have nearly doubled my overall post average from what it has been over the past couple of years.

I was given a serious opportunity for personal redemption and to lead others...and I am doing everything I can to take advantage of both.

Being part of a team that's pretty scattered in terms of location is different. I think my biggest difference is going from focusing on hitting the ball better (obviously a perpetual pursuit) to scoring better. Paying a lot more attention to the game within 50 yards. So much more time practicing putting.

Nothing demoralizes an opponent more than seeing unlikely up and downs. Short game is a must.

I hope you guys are adding physical conditioning to your prep work. It will be critical for your afternoon matches Saturday!
I was spent after 27 last weekend. That has never been the case

Practicing with a purpose

Taking lessons

Being more careful with club selections to ensure that I have a bag that can be utilized to the best of my ability, not just pretty or the sexy shafts, etc.
out club selection ion will be key on Saturday brother.

Trying to make weaknesses strengths in my game and become as mentally tough as possible

Proud Member of #TeamParadise
not to many weaknesses that I saw, maybe inside 100 yards.

For me it has been lessons and practicing with purpose. No more just hitting balls off the range, but hitting them with the mindset of playing in a pressure situation.

It's hard to explain, but there is more at the finish line than is for a regular tournament.
good plan, smart practice

A lot more practice 160 and in. I figure I'll be hitting a lot of those. Also, a lot of short game and putting practice. Fun when it pays off and makes up for the sore back when putting for a long time
When are we gonna play?
Yep that includes lessons. My pro and I tore down my swing in September and have rebuilt it from the ground up. I knew that the only way to continue to improve was go this route. It's been an exciting/frustrating/rewarding process.
Glad to hear it brad
Nothing demoralizes an opponent more than seeing unlikely up and downs. Short game is a must.
You should always expect your opponent to get up and down.

Sheer amount of time energy is different for me this time. The last two big events I'd hit the range and play a few times a week - maybe four times if I got lucky. This time around I'm spending 5-7 days a week doing something with the event in mind, whether it's at home, the range, playing, or working out.

Other difference has been continuing lessons during the playing season. In the past I've always stopped once it came time to play and just grabbed a lesson when things were bad enough that I was out of ideas.

Back