The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice 441. He'll get you sorted out for LIITA.

yeah its close, just need to replicate the last session. My guess is Im not getting as upright as I think with the swing and am dropping the club back down inside for the down swing and thats leading to the ol in to out swing

Its just frustrating because it used to be the best part of my game. Now its the worst. haha

That happens! Don't get wrapped up in spin or anything too complex. Keep the motion simple and get the ball rolling towards the hole and you'll be fine.

That happens! Don't get wrapped up in spin or anything too complex. Keep the motion simple and get the ball rolling towards the hole and you'll be fine.

Spin? Whats that? Hahaha

yeah its close, just need to replicate the last session. My guess is Im not getting as upright as I think with the swing and am dropping the club back down inside for the down swing and thats leading to the ol in to out swing

He'll know in seconds I'm guessing.

To many times I try to get "cute" with it. Cute isn't on the score card BTW

Had an interesting range session last night. I focused on generating added power as I think my swing got a bit too lazy over the winter. Went through a few clubs before I settled on the 6 iron (I had three different six irons with me) and just started beating balls with as much controlled force as I could muster. It was great, as the flight really started to take shape and I was striking and flying much similar to my 2013 swing.

I was monitoring my numbers and they were still a bit underwhelming, but I am pretty confident it was range ball specific, as I took to the course later (after some putting) and GPSed four shots, all of which were exactly where I expect my number to be with a six iron.

I'm excited. I really thought I'd lost a lot of what I had worked towards, but it's all very much there. I'm just going to continue to practice with a purpose and see if the results translate to the course.

Had a short game session last night. Still working on softening my arms and hands and let the body do the work.

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Heading out for a playing lesson today, should be a good chance to tighten up and issues before LITA

Today's agenda:
  • Warmup w/ small bag on range
  • Play 9 from back tee's to have more long irons into greens
  • Range session working through irons, into hybo's/woods, then a bag each on 100, 85, and 50 yards
  • Chipping for 35 minutes on practice green, focus on 54* and using GW today
  • Putting for 30 minutes

As I inch closer to school getting out it'll be nice to be able to do all this first thing in the morning, until then though gonna have some late evenings, good thing the Doc understands.

Busy day ahead! I'm jealous.

Busy day ahead! I'm jealous.

Late night, but its worth it with some storm systems moving in, may be relegated to shipping for a couple days and I really need to keep ingraining this takeaway and destruction of the flip I developed. Its all gotta be with a purpose.

He'll know in seconds I'm guessing.

Oh absolutely, took 2 swings last time and we immediately changed things up for the good.

Otherwise I might as well start a house reno.

That would truly be horrible hahaha

I had a range session that was kinda tough last night working my driver hooks out. At my lesson Sunday, we determined that a lot of my issue was poor alignment (set up way closed) and the rest of it was overactive hands causing the clubface to close at impact. Conversely, he had nothing but positive things to say about my actual swing mechanics - he loves my swing length, tempo (except when I get quick), and impact position. So at this range session I let my mechanics be automatic and I focused first on alignment, which worked very well for most clubs. Used address position to manipulate ball flight both left and right, then found a comfortable position and shot shape.

After this though, I was still having hook issues with 3w and especially driver. As my instructor said, "if it's not the swing path, it must be the clubface", so I figured I was closed at impact, probably due to overactive hands like in my lesson. Thus, I adjusted my grip a little weak to try and inhibit that hand snap, and after a few swings and finding a comfy grip I started hitting some BOMBS, much straighter than before.

So, long story short, I think I may have found a fix, but it will take another range session or two to really be sure.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Today's agenda:
  • Warmup w/ small bag on range
  • Play 9 from back tee's to have more long irons into greens
  • Range session working through irons, into hybo's/woods, then a bag each on 100, 85, and 50 yards
  • Chipping for 35 minutes on practice green, focus on 54* and using GW today
  • Putting for 30 minutes

As I inch closer to school getting out it'll be nice to be able to do all this first thing in the morning, until then though gonna have some late evenings, good thing the Doc understands.

Love that you have a focus point on each every block segment! Pretty awesome day of practice right there

The last couple of rounds I have played I really felt my irons were slipping. Spoke to my instructor and he have me a few things to work on. Spent my lunch hour at the range and made a ton of progress.

After work I spent an hour working on my short game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hit the range last night. Brought my lady with me so she could flop about giggling as she hit balls 20 feet lol.

Roughly 120 balls for me with the 6 iron and my alignment sticks. Worked on ball placement and tempo.

Then 30 balls with the 3w and driver.

Another 45 minutes putting practice.

Felt very solid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

This evening after work I hit the range for some much needed practice time.

I wanted to work solely on those shots from 150yds to 50yds, focusing on accuracy. The last few days I've felt my tempo has been just a bit off. So I laid out about 150 balls and went to work. As I expect my tempo was off causing me to have poor ball striking. After some tinkering I was able to see some good shots.

After an intense wedge play session I decided to work on some short game off the green. Instead of relying on my 60*, which calls for flying the ball to the hole, I pulled out the 54* and went to work. After talking to a few people I came away with the mindset the quicker I got the ball rolling the better off I would be. So that's just what I did, working on distance control and line. Spent roughly 45 mins and about 100 chips later I left the course feeling positive.

With the days getting longer and starting early I have made an arrangement with a local course to use the short game area as soon as day breaks. So I know where I'll be each and everyday!

Could not hit my wedges at all for some reason today. Rather than get frustrated I grabbed my "safe" club, my 7i, and made some good swings with that. Last 5 balls were driver, 4 out of them were just beauties and the very last one was a pull fade and I knew right away it was because I hung back. Each probably went around 220-230 in the air which was just plain awesome to see. I left on a VERY high note, even though wedges weren't great today my slice off the tee has been my biggest cause of lost strokes due to being in the rough or OOB. Having pretty high confidence knowing that I can hit the fairway, or just be off of it, most times the hole calls for driver instead of being panicked about being in the opposite fairway should be a great thing for my game this season.

Start frustration:
I swear every time I get a lesson it's like a new swing change.
Was hinging over my shoulder immediately on take away and that was my pure ball striking. Well now I've decided to start rerouting the club inside which is why everything is right. Couple that with the back shoulder drop and it's no bueno.

So we are back to where I thought we were a month ago. Over exaggerate take away on the outside and feel like I'm chopping at the ball to keep me away from the inside. Hit it pretty good but had some fattys too.

he did ask me if at some point I had a slice and I said yeah. He said someone has programmed me to keep coming inside out and I have to stop it and the back shoulder drop.

End frustration

My expectations were higher and when they weren't met I got mad. But rather than let that weigh me down I'm going to take the swing from tonight and practice with it until I eventually stop the inside madness. Too much on the line to sulk and be mad, I'm over it time to get back to work.

Start frustration:
I swear every time I get a lesson it's like a new swing change.
Was hinging over my shoulder immediately on take away and that was my pure ball striking. Well now I've decided to start rerouting the club inside which is why everything is right. Couple that with the back shoulder drop and it's no bueno.

So we are back to where I thought we were a month ago. Over exaggerate take away on the outside and feel like I'm chopping at the ball to keep me away from the inside. Hit it pretty good but had some fattys too.

he did ask me if at some point I had a slice and I said yeah. He said someone has programmed me to keep coming inside out and I have to stop it and the back shoulder drop.

End frustration

My expectations were higher and when they weren't met I got mad. But rather than let that weigh me down I'm going to take the swing from tonight and practice with it until I eventually stop the inside madness. Too much on the line to sulk and be mad, I'm over it time to get back to work.

Keep working bro. It will pay off

Mike let's meet up. Seems like we have the same exact problem. #wantedtosnaptheclub

Keep working bro. It will pay off

Yeah was just pissy cause I had played so well and now it's like we are starting over...even though i know we arent.

Mike let's meet up. Seems like we have the same exact problem. #wantedtosnaptheclub

How's Saturday morning sound lol

Yeah was just pissy cause I had played so well and now it's like we are starting over...even though i know we arent.

We all have ups and downs. God knows I do lol. Looking forward to meet ya and see your progress in person in a few weeks!

Lol

He also said whoever said my clubs should be standard is an idiot and believes I should be 2* up, going to verify that before lessons are done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back