What inspires you?

What inspires you to either play the game or be the best at it you can be?

I hate sucking at things. Have had to deal with that with golf for almost five years now, but it's a constant drive to not suck as bad tomorrow as I do today.

I hate sucking at things. Have had to deal with that with golf for almost five years now, but it's a constant drive to not suck as bad tomorrow as I do today.

#JourneyToBetter personified

No idea, guess it's something most people just have or don't have. I want to be great at everything I do, so I work hard at it. Golf, fish, pool, hunt, hell I'm competitive at tiddlywinks if the guys decide we are doing that. (You can bet I'd practice it before we got together so I can dominate them fools)

My old insirpation to be out there was to beat any and everyone I played with, now a days I do it for the passion of the game. I love being on the course and I don't think there's a more peaceful play on earth than a golf course

Simple, my love for the game. It's never hard to get up for around or practice. Golf has been a part of my life for many years and will be that will for many more to come.

Its the whole package, I have been playing on and off (mostly on) for 30yrs, its addicting, the will and desire to get better, to score better, to achieve or reach goals, then when your not playing well its the exercise, I love walking and being out on the course, I keep waiting for my interest to wain.....30yrs later Im still waiting

For me, a sense of pride. Knowing that I have taken the time and energy to excel in something that I am passionate about.

My parents were golfers. My dad a good golfer, my mom not so much, but she loved playing the game, so it was inevitable that I would have a club shoved into my hands shortly after I learned to stand up unassisted. They encouraged me to play and I did until my mid teens when other things than golf seem mighty important to teenage boys. I sort of took it up again in my early twenties and played a good bit with my dad; I sure am glad I did that, it gave me a chance to get to know him, and I learned a lot about golf that I am just now trying very hard to apply. Through the next thirty plus years I occasionally played, mostly because someone I liked seemed to want me to. The common thread so far though was that I had always been playing because someone else wanted me to.

Then one day, a year and a half ago or so, I found myself having lunch in the grill room of my parents old club looking out at the course and reminiscing a bit. Then it struck me and I looked at my wife and said, "I think I want to take up golf again." For the first time, I wanted to play golf because I wanted to for myself. Fortunately, my wife has been supportive of the idea, though she's wearing a bit thin on club upgrades at the moment. About six months ago I was diagnosed with a pretty serious health issue and the desire to get back out on the course, or even just the driving range, has helped a lot in getting past some of the rockier parts of treatment. Am I "inspired" to play? I guess maybe that's the right word. I love the fact that one can play fairly well without being a big hitter if they play smart. (That's the core of what I learned from my father.) I even like practicing, which is good since I need it!

golf is a game. but when you grab those clubs and that little white ball, everything changes. you understand the hazards and the danger. you understand there will be some sacrifices. but you're willing to chance it all, against the odds. that beautiful green grass is waiting to test every swing thought that goes through your head. you know what you are capable of. but golf does not care. golf is a beautifu,l confident, woman that demands respect. as soon as you forget to show her respect, she will make you pay. but once you figue out how to sweet talk her....its one beautiful dance. ..... then you shank it into the lake....

golf is beautiful and humbling. it is a game to be enjoyed and if you enjoy it the right way, you might learn a thing or two:)

Phil Mickelson winning majors usually has me ready to play my best.

Otherwise, it's knowing that I'm the two-time defending champion of the City Tournament, and a three-peat would be pretty sweet. In fact, it has motivated me this year to not just win the thing, but to dominate it from day one (I've come from behind each of last two years).

~Rock

Me against the course. It is the challenge of that and the people I do it with. Golf brings people together.

Not sure if enjoyment is a proper answer here, but it's why I play the game. Even when I play my worst round of golf ever, I always have fun while playing.

Trying to be the best at it that I can be just comes from wanting to excel at something I enjoy.

To play, it's because I just want to.
To better myself, it's because that's my nature.

I'm addicted to playing well, hitting great shots and getting that feeling I get when I hit that perfect shot and watch it go exactly where I drew it up in my minds eye. It's part frustration and perfection with this game. Having been blessed with the a decent game, even now when I don't get to practice as much, I still expect more good shots than bad. I'm seeing both sides of the coin while learning this great game, from shooting in the 100's when I first started, to the few times I've broke 70.
When you hit your goal(s)....winning a tournament, or shooting in the 60's for example...then you just want to do it again! It's things like that, that motivate me to be the best I can be at this game.

Just the enjoyment of being out there .. And to see if my strategy for each hole pays off

And if strategy goes bad .. See if I can fix it and still make a good score. I love playing the course , it is much fun .. Change your strategy and see how it works for you

The feel of a perfectly struck shot, rewarded by watching a white ball disappear into the sky.

Last year it was the MC, I worked my butt off to get my game into the best shape possible, right now it's the Indy THP event, and then the Wilson and Grandaddy are my overall focus.

Like others have said, it's difficulty, and succeeding in spite of its difficulty, is utterly addictive.

Learning and getting better. Just wish I had more time to practice.

I play for the love of the game - I enjoy the challenge and camaraderie that it brings. I'm inspired to get better by all the hard work and improvement I've seen from my family here.

I play because I really enjoy it. I love being outside, playing with friends, enjoying the scenery. It all keeps me coming back. The challenge is fun also

As of today and the prep of started for #thegauntlet - my inspiration is making Jason Finley 3for3

I just love the game and my competitive nature drives me to get better.

Love of the game and the want to be as good as I can be is what drives me. When I make a good shot and see that I do have potential it inspires me to work more and try to get to be able to make more of those good shots.

Back