does your course allow non player ride alongs?

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I recently found out and thought it strange that my local munis do not allow one to bring anyone (non golfer) with them. A child, spouse, grandparent whatever it doesnt matter. They must pay the fee and must have thier own clubs. I just tghought that strange if I wanted my daughter to come along just to hang or if anyone had any reason to do something similar they couldnt. Myself and my brother-in-law did it once with our kids at a course in PA one time and they allowed it and I asked about it just for conversation at my local before my last round and was told the above. They say its an insurance thing. Just curious is that the case with you all too?

Nope, knock on wood, but every course ive played since I returned to the game has let someone ride. Little man would be devastated if he couldnt be out on the course with me or his mom when she goes.

I think the public course I regularly play will allow it, but you have to pay the cart fee for them to do so. Reason being, they can't waste a cart spot when that is a source of revenue. I get that, a twosome shouldn't have to use two carts. I've often wondered if they would waive it if the course was slow and someone was going out solo anyway.

I would think private courses would be more relaxed on this (i.e. if you pay for a family membership, a family member should be allowed to ride along regardless if they are playing), but I don't have any real information to support it.

Every course I have played so far allow it.

I think the public course I regularly play will allow it, but you have to pay the cart fee for them to do so. Reason being, they can't waste a cart spot when that is a source of revenue. I get that, a twosome shouldn't have to use two carts. I've often wondered if they would waive it if the course was slow and someone was going out solo anyway.

I would think private courses would be more relaxed on this (i.e. if you pay for a family membership, a family member should be allowed to ride along regardless if they are playing), but I don't have any real information to support it.

yea, I can understand the cart fee but thats provided anyone else wants to ride. If the others are all walking than that too might be waved although if you would normally walk but now require the cart because of the ride along than yes again paying the cart fee would only be fair. But anyway even with that they just dont allow it wothout thier own set of clubs and own grens fees. I just thopught that was bit of a bummer. I couldnt understand that being an insurance thing.

No extra charge on my end. I even let the wife take a few shots off the tee on one hole. I didn't look at it as gaming the system. I am just prepping a new customer for them lol.

A bunch of years ago, my dad and I wanted to play golf and bring my 5 year old sister along. Not only did they charge my dad for her, I had to walk--as they wouldn't allow the three if us to ride in the cart together (which I get, but c'mon....).

I've played a few places that make people pay the cart fee to have someone ride along. I've only been to one place that asked someone to pay for their child. I can't wait until my little girl is big enough to go out on the course with me and I'm hoping there will be a few places that don't have an issue with that.

Ours allows them, but they must pay an $8.00 rider fee. Usually it was because we were sending out two carts for two golfers, but sometimes we would have four carts for four golfers. Courses have a finite number of carts for the golfers to use. Also in the case that robmypro mentioned, it helps offset the cost of people playing out of the same bag. We even had two parents bring their (9 or 10 years old) that we let them ride for free because they were supposedly not playing and we were a bit slow, but when they made the turn, both kids had youth bags, and came in to get something to eat wearing golf gloves.

Most do, some charge.

Our local course, public & very casual, allows riders. Sometimes they will take $5 or whatever for a token cart fee, but usually just say "go ahead"... One guy's wife actually does a pretty good job of tending the flag, finding balls, and being our rules official. We get pretty liberal with gimmies, so she will usually say, "I think he's got a little work to do..."

15 years ago, my girlfriend (now my wife) and I went on a golf trip with another couple to Vegas. We called the course before leaving town to confirm the ladies could ride along.

They didn't tell us until we got there (45 minutes off the strip, in the middle of nowhere) that not only did they have to pay greens fees and cart fees, but they had to buy collared shirts in the clubhouse ($65/each IIRC) as their non-collared shirts didn't meet the dress code.

I don't recall the course..perhaps things have relaxed over time, but that was the last time I even thought about bringing a non-playing companion to the course.

Now that I've got kids..I'm going to have to start investigating my local tracks.

Both courses that I am a member of allow riders. In fact I sometimes see the non-golfer driving, that might be an insurance issue IMO.

Our course allows this as they look at it as a way to increase interest from a female and junior prospective

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Mine does, the Doc usually rides along and plays 8-9 holes, they don't mind at all.

yes. Kids ride free. Adults pay for the other half of the cart.

$5 for a ride along at my course. It's not bad.

The two courses that I play most often all riders at no charge. I actually just called a REALLY nice course up near my parents house about 5 minutes ago, to see if they would allow my Dad to ride along with my when I play there over Memorial Day weekend...and they allow it, too.

Ride alongs are free here on most courses, but I have played many upscale courses that charged a small fee. I'm ok with it either way, I can understand their side of it.

from all the mostly positive responses I now wonder even more whats up with my munis and this "own clubs, own fees" policy. Saying it an insurance thing but I'm not seeing why. Although new jersey is one of the most confusing and over done states as far as politics and insurance and red tape with many things. Perhaps the Supranos should come back and straighten out a few people. lol

My home course allows it, we have several guys that will go out late on a weekend with their wife and child in the cart with them, or some that bring 2 kids.

1 companion can ride free at my home course.

No, my local course makes you pay for everything and you also have to have a set of clubs too.

Glad I have two sets ;)

No, my local course makes you pay for everything and you also have to have a set of clubs too.

Glad I have two sets ;)

Yea but paying greens fees and cart fees and bringing an extra set just to have a non player ride along doesnt seem so happy thing to me.

Mine doesn't mind but it's a private club. So my girlfriend who doesn't play rides with me every blue moon. Now that she has shown intrest I just added her to my account, same price as individual so they didn't mind and we live together.

But I could see where a course might want the revenue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Back