Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

How are these holding up. I have heard that the finish comes off really easily after 10-20 rounds.

No issues here...6 months of golf and a crap load of range sessions

How are these holding up. I have heard that the finish comes off really easily after 10-20 rounds.

Have not had an issue with that at all and I have been using them for 6 months now.

The more I think about it. I think the exact opposite. I have put in so much time on the course and on the range with these and they have held up pretty phenomenal to be frank.

Not a single finish issue with mine since November and I use a copper wire brush to clean them.

The finish on these is superb. I've had them for months and not an issue at all. They are an outstanding set of irons...

I deliberately waited some time to let my first range session with the Apexes from yesterday sink in. First, some context. I've been playing golf for about 6 years and had about that many iron sets to match. Most of those sets have been regular flex. My swing speed numbers are pretty much inline with average LPGA pros, obviously with more variance. I have a slower tempo swing to match. I have been hitting a set of CB3s with KBS 90 stiff shafts. As you can guess from how I described my swing, I was not fit into stiff shafts at my fitting. I was fit into the Apex with KBS Tour V regular hard stepped once.

This shaft is a big difference for me. I think the stiff shaft I was playing hid some of the flaws creeping into my game. I just couldn't load that shaft, so any looseness in my swing was being repressed. That is both good and bad in my mind. I really like the feel of a regular shaft. I like how I can feel the shaft loading. A crisp hit feels soooo good. However, I am having trouble controlling my swing path as well with the new set, particularly on longer irons.

During my session, I hit off mats at the range and played 2 balls from 2 different tee boxes on my course's par 3 9th. I didn't have a great range session, but I think that was more of a factor of the shaft change, rather than the irons. Starting with feel, they felt really crisp off the face on good hits. I remember two shots in particular when this wasn't the case. I had hit a couple grooves too low and definitely got the feedback from the irons. However, it wasn't harsh at all, but noticeable enough to say, "hey, you did it wrong." Further, the ball still got up in the air and carried pretty darn close to the rest of my shots. With that said, my miss tends to be fat instead of thin, so the jury is still out on forgiveness that until I get more natural grass practice. However, on thin shots the irons performed wonderfully. On the par 3, I hit two 5 irons from 165 yards to an uphill green. On the first shot, great swing, but hit it high on the face from teeing the ball up like a moron. The ball still came off the face with a nice straight trajectory, but landed about 10-20 yards short of target. The second shot was nice and crisp, but ended up a little left of target and in the left bunker. Probably not enough club in the thick air yesterday. Not too far off target though. The second two balls I hit from the front tees, which plays about 125 yards and slightly more uphill. I hit a 9 iron for both shots. I put the first ball slightly right and short of the flag to about 30-40 ft and the second ball was inside 10ft. Small sample size, but I'm reasonably happy with the irons after one practice session.

I'm going to work on tightening my swing at the top today and hopefully should have a better sense of the clubs as I get more time with them.

Oh and as for finish, you could pass my 6 and 9 irons (most hit two irons at range) off as new after having about 30 balls each hit with them so far. Again early, but my i20s and CB3s looked nowhere near as good after their first sessions.

Ok you guys are not going to believe this, I don't. I have been following this thread very closely and drooling on regular basis. I went to a new range today that had a 6 demo. I immediately jumped on it. I have the mizzy MP53 and play to a 15-17 handicap. I have had them for about 8 months now and live in Florida and have played at least once a week since I bought them. I love the feel of the mizzys and ball flight kbs tour s. My distance isn't long but very dependable. 7 iron 155ish. So I started with the Apex and hit about 30-40 balls. The shaft was the xp95 300s. Felt good nothing great. Then pulled out my 6 and hit about 30-40 more balls. For me the MP53 were more accurate just as long maybe 5 yrds shorter maybe. Better ball flight. I know shafts and all that, but it kind of feels good to get the monkey off my back. I will stick with what I have for at least another season.

swing your swing

This thread gets me so fired up. I'm keeping an open mind but I would be shocked if these didn't end up in my MC bag.

This thread gets me so fired up. I'm keeping an open mind but I would be shocked if these didn't end up in my MC bag.

Me too...I will be really interested to see the results of the fitting, and I'll almost assuredly go with the fitting results, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I was hoping these will win.

Me too...I will be really interested to see the results of the fitting, and I'll almost assuredly go with the fitting results, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I was hoping these will win.

I continue to be impressed with these irons. To me, they are the perfect irons for looks, forgiveness, feel and performance.

I'm not sure if I will even look at irons during my fitting at the Annika Academy. Apart from maybe trying the recoil protos, I'm likely set with the Apex/TourV combo.

When is your fitting Donne?

When is your fitting Donne?

Monday the 19th at 10 AM...right after Seth's. You have enamored all of us to the Annika Academy.

Hit these at GG tonight after dinner with the Doc.

Yep. Something else all together they are.

Hit these at GG tonight after dinner with the Doc.

Yep. Something else all together they are.
Have these, you will.

I love them. I want to hit an AW to see what it's like. I bet it blends gloriously.
I love the AW for everything except full shots.

Have these, you will.

The force is strong with these.

I'd bet I have them in the bag post MC as well, I want a "go to" set in between all the testing, one that I can just fall back into like a favorite t-shirt, these could very well be that for me.

The force is strong with these.

I'd bet I have them in the bag post MC as well, I want a "go to" set in between all the testing, one that I can just fall back into like a favorite t-shirt, these could very well be that for me.
Now I want an Apex t-shirt, too.

Oh really? you'd be more inclined to hit a 50* traditional wedge, or do you just hate full shot 50*?
I do love a full 50* shot, but for some reason I struggled with this AW for full shots. Not sure what it is, but I just always catch this way too heavy compared to my typical 50*. Could be the shaft thingy in it.

I continue to be impressed with these irons. To me, they are the perfect irons for looks, forgiveness, feel and performance.

I'm not sure if I will even look at irons during my fitting at the Annika Academy. Apart from maybe trying the recoil protos, I'm likely set with the Apex/TourV combo.

I was just thinking "Is ATL going to go combo, or even full pro, set for the MC?" Glad you're making this choice because these are the complete package for what I love in an iron as well.

I do love a full 50* shot, but for some reason I struggled with this AW for full shots. Not sure what it is, but I just always catch this way too heavy compared to my typical 50*. Could be the shaft thingy in it.

Interesting.

I was hesitant to have the AW instead of a 50*, but the AW is now probably my most versatile club.

Interesting.

I was hesitant to have the AW instead of a 50*, but the AW is now probably my most versatile club.
I use it a ton, dont get me wrong, but just shy away from it for full shots. I typically move a 3/4 PW instead when needed. Hitting knock downs with this AW is a thing of beauty. Low and spinny.

OK, I've been bitten. Been trying different setups the past week, and my coach and I decided on the Apex in 5-PW set with the XP95 stiff. Can't wait to get them! Absolutely love the feel of this club.

Back