What is the Ultimate Compliment You Can Receive from a Playing Partner/Opponent

flog2424

Philippians 4:13
Reaction score
Handicap
I just had a fun call from my playing opponent that I beat last week in the first round of our club's match play. He is our reigning club champion and a great player that rarely struggles. He had called me on the road and wanted to thank me for helping him discover a new instructor. He apparently was so impressed with where my game had progressed that he drove almost 2 hours this AM to take a lesson from my instructor I have been working with.

This felt like one of the most complimentary things that anyone had ever done towards me on the golf course. He could really see the effort I have been putting into my game over the last 7 months and the changes drove him to want to make a change within himself.

What is something an opponent or friend of yours has done that blew you away or made you feel great about your game? It could be something as simple as a compliment, a suggestion or something more extreme like trying to steal your teacher from you

The compliment that makes me happy is, that they had had fun, to me nothing else matters

"You stink, but your equipment, apparel and shoes always look quite nice".
"How in the world can you score with a swing that looks like that"
"Some people make garbage work and you do it better than most. I shall call you dumpster"
"Never had this much fun on the golf course"

I have heard all three of these things in the last 24 months.
The last one I take great pride in.

The one I have gotten most recently is "Man, your swing is way different than the last time we played." I take those as compliments. Lol.

Probably Harry Arnett giving me the W coin after our match when I didn't actually beat him. At one point he started giving me four footers because I hadn't missed one yet and that was pretty cool. Still look back on that match with a lot of good memories. Would have loved to win, but taking it as far as I did in the way I did was actually a pretty big accomplishment for me at the time.

Your swing is so much smoother than it was in Branson.............

Your Tee game is so boring, another fairway.......Blinking ensued :act-up:

I really enjoyed our round today. It was fun to share it with you.

All were said by THP'rs and meant more to me than any of them know.

JM

I forgot one that I love hearing "You hit the ball pretty far for an umpa loopa" :)

I forgot one that I love hearing "You hit the ball pretty far for an umpa loopa" :)
Tru dat. I think the USGA needs to run a compliance check on that Alpha you're rockin.

"I had a blast today." That is all I need to hear.

I dont care if we all shoot 120. If everyone has fun, then that is what means the most. Give me 120 and a great time over 80 and a miserable round.

It always makes me smile a bit when I get compliments on my swing and how well I can strike the ball some days. I've not had a lot of professional instruction so it makes me feel good that I have grooved a pretty good swing myself.

"I really enjoyed the company. That was a great time, let's do it again soon" is always nice to hear.

As for compliments on my game, lately anytime I get the ball in the air and going forward at the same time, I seem to hear "nice shot Rob" a lot. That's not a good sign :(

"Half the time I play with you, I don't know how you aren't in the 70s every time. The other half of the time, I don't know how you break 100."

This indicates that I am a mysterious and unpredictable person. I take great pride in being able to provide an ever-changing experience for my friends. I am basically 2 or 3 golf buddies in one body.

To echo some others, if I hear something like, "I had a great time today," it makes my round.

When someone calls me and asks if I'll be their partner in a 2-person event.

"Some people make garbage work and you do it better than most. I shall call you dumpster"

He said, after listing 4 things.

Yeah just a, that was real fun/enjoyable is pretty good to hear. For whatever reason, I get self conscious playing with those better than me and get concerned they're not enjoying themselves because of all the sucking that is going on, by me. That's because I just want everyone to have a good time, so the lessons are helping with the playing part of it on my end.

It's also always nice to hear if I'm doing something well, like putting or driving.

The ultimate compliment I can think of though, is, "we should do this again."

The compliment that makes me happy is, that they had had fun, to me nothing else matters

Agree 110%, love somebody telling me that they had a great time and enjoyed my company, because in the end, that's really what we're all paying for when we go out for a round.

Game-wise, it would have to be all the compliments I consistently get about my iron striking. The rest of my game has historically cycled big time (hoping to change that), but I've had some upper single digit cappers ask me for tips on hitting irons before. That felt pretty good, and makes me feel like I deserve to play the irons I play! Cause theoretically, a 15 capper should have no business playing these hahaha

Anything short of "it was fun, let's do it again real soon" I'm disappointed with. whatever my game is that day I make it a point to stay positive & keep the group playing loose. I hate it when one guy starts grinding too hard and it's felt from the rest. We all don't play our best at times, but encouraging others is what I try to do because this is a game we play for fun & we are not on tour.

I agree with many that someone telling me they had a good time playing with me is the best.

In terms of my swing, this is one that I'm going to remember for a long time.

Captain Caution, Alek, dude might have the prettiest swing in the world. Don't let the 17 handicap fool you, dude has game and that index will be single digits with a quickness. Great competitor, great golfer, and now, a great friend. I'm going to bottle his swing and sell that on SharkTank. I'll be rich.

With all the work I put in during the winter, this meant a ton to me. And I'm very glad to have picked up a great friend in the process.

An older gentlemen in my Sat. am group was introducing me to another member a few months back and said about me, "This guy is a low handicapper and is really good. But he's a good guy and he doesn't act like he's a low handicapper."

That made me feel pretty good.

"You playing next weekend?" I like repeat playing partners.

Also, "Holy s***! You killed that thing!" Being a smaller guy, I like hitting the ball far. Makes me happy.

The 3rd one is great, thats something Id say, but pretty sure I didnt lol

Another one I love to hear is, "You didn't suck as much as last time. Still a train wreck, but not a federal relief disaster this time."

A great compliment to me is an opponent asking, "How did you hit that?" after you hit a shot that is extremely difficult and the result is exactly where it should be.

Back