Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

Its the truth, ive tried these now off and on maybe 8-9 times now outside with THPERS. And if Ive hit 100 balls with them I may have hit MAYBE 10 bad, and I think 1 of them was with my eyes closed

I have seen you post many times Deano that who wants easier shots, so you don't/won't use these clubs.
I'm sure you are not serious, but it's out there.

I'm talking purely set up rather than the physics.

I have seen you post many times Deano that who wants easier shots, so you don't/won't use these clubs.
I'm sure you are not serious, but it's out there.

Just not at an acquisition stage right now. Perhaps later this year, would take them on a test run first.

Any chance any altitude irons get in your MC bag?

If they are offered I could see a 4 or 5 hyron. Will just depend on what is presented to us to pick from really

Is there more than 1 year of altitudes an if so how can you tell which one is the one that is talked about on here?

I'm talking purely set up rather than the physics.

are you meaning more open/closed with it or just entire alignment/Aim? I may need to do some alignment stick work to see if there is something there more than the over swing.

are you meaning more open/closed with it or just entire alignment/Aim? I may need to do some alignment stick work to see if there is something there more than the over swing.

I actually don't know. I've heard it mentioned a few times that some people have setup issues when looking at offset clubs and they can result in misses. Mostly just curious if anybody could explain it. PGG gave me an idea of what they were talking about though.

Just got back from playing 9 holes. The 4 and 5 really came through for me. The real interesting thing is I even had a nice shot out of the rough with them, which is something I had struggled with in the past. To me, there is a difference between easy to hit and forgiving. Although I would say these are pretty forgiving, they appeal to me because of how easy they are to hit. Whatever issues I had with them last season haven't cropped up, so they will be staying in the bag for the time being and I suppose I should update my WITB.

Just got back from playing 9 holes. The 4 and 5 really came through for me. The real interesting thing is I even had a nice shot out of the rough with them, which is something I had struggled with in the past. To me, there is a difference between easy to hit and forgiving. Although I would say these are pretty forgiving, they appeal to me because of how easy they are to hit. Whatever issues I had with them last season haven't cropped up, so they will be staying in the bag for the time being and I suppose I should update my WITB.

Considering picking up the rest of the set?

Considering picking up the rest of the set?

Not sure. I'd have to tinker around with the other shaft offerings, as I have C. Kuas in mine now and it'd cost way too much to get an entire set of those. Also, I've never hit the shorter irons, so I'd be interested to see how they feel.

But if I'm able to get my hands on a few of the shorter ones and play a round or two with just these as my irons, I'd have no problem switching to these full boat if GIR's went up and scores went down.

Its also more noticeable with the long irons because they have less loft thus less back spin and more side spin.

If you look up and down iron set specs, you'll typically see 2-3 times the amount of offset in a long iron than a short one. One could argue that because there's more offset in the long irons, there's more hook motion.

For instance:
- Ping K15 5 iron has .29 inches of offset while the SW has .13 inches.
- Mizuno JPX 800HD 6 iron has .240 inches while the SW has .161 inches.
- Cleveland Altitude 3 hyron has .09 inches of offset while the SW has .07 inches.

I picked these three because they're all SGI clubs. The Altitudes have amazingly little offset.

I think the lack of loft and longer shaft exaggerates the side spin more than the offset does. I think the effect of the offset on the movement left is less than most think and way less than those two things as majBC mentions. I tend to think that it is more alignment to Hawk's point though or other factors (such as lie angle, head weighting, shaft properties, etc.).

I know that people bang on robotic testing, but there's some value there because it is highly repeatable and things like swing plane can be finely controlled. If you look at clubs of similar loft when a hook swing is put on them, the amount of leftward deviation varies very little between a club with a ton of offset or a club with lots of offset.

For instance, let's look at a hook swing with some 27-28 degree clubs from a fairly reputable robotic club test site:
- JPX 800 (non-HD, so very little offset): 8.4 yards left
- Callaway Diablo Edge (medium offset): 8.4 yards left
- Callaway Razr XF (healthy amount of offset): 10.8 yards left
- Callaway Razr X Forged (almost no offset) 18.2 yards left
- Ping K15: 12.9 yards left (a huge amount of offset, though with 29 degrees of loft)
- Cobra S3 Max (healthy amount of offset): 5.9 yards left
- Cleveland Altitude: (almost no offset): 17 yards left

There's not a lot of correlation there between the offset and the amount of leftward movement put on by a hook swing.

I actually don't know. I've heard it mentioned a few times that some people have setup issues when looking at offset clubs and they can result in misses. Mostly just curious if anybody could explain it. PGG gave me an idea of what they were talking about though.

Hawk: I think we talked about this in the Baffler XL driver thread, but maybe it was with Cookie. I personally think the visual trick is what gets people. The offset creates a curve back and then a straight line that should run out perpendicular from the body. I think given the straight line is set back from the hosel makes it harder for some to set it up perpendicular.

I think the effect is more exaggerated on clubs with fewer straight lines to show the slight variation in alignment. Irons are probably easier if they have a uniform top line than something like a mini-fairway styled hybrid with the rounded trailing edge. Hybrids that have the metal to painted area contrast (like an Altitude or Ping G15/K15) are probably easier than ones that are uniformly painted on the crown. It's sort of like the Versa paint job, where the eye needs some sort of contrast to help it get a proper fix.

Admittedly, I'm not a club designer. I'm just interested in these things and like to look at data.

I'm used to clubs that have little offset. Clubs with a lot of offset look open to me at address, so I tend to want to hood them. It's just kind of a visual thing. I used to think offset caused me to hook, but it was really just me closing the face so they looked right.

Wandered into golf town to see if they had any of these clubs...they don't. I may need to make a run south of the border somewhere to try these out. My gut instinct is that these are a great fit for me. I would love to find out for sure!

Wandered into golf town to see if they had any of these clubs...they don't. I may need to make a run south of the border somewhere to try these out. My gut instinct is that these are a great fit for me. I would love to find out for sure!

I just came back to golf after a 25 year break I was fitted for a set of Callaway X Hot irons I used these for 6 months but my game was going nowhere I changed to the Altitudes and dropped 9 strokes in 2 months and still dropping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just came back to golf after a 25 year break I was fitted for a set of Callaway X Hot irons I used these for 6 months but my game was going nowhere I changed to the Altitudes and dropped 9 strokes in 2 months and still dropping.

Wow! That is great. I'm not sure if these will be better than my current set up, but I can't imagine them being worse, and the transition of design elements through the set seems so smooth. Currently, I feel as if I have 3 distinct styles of clubs in my irons. It kind of plays on my mind.

LOL, if you were a Righty you could just drive to Manitoba and hit mine!

Wow! That is great. I'm not sure if these will be better than my current set up, but I can't imagine them being worse, and the transition of design elements through the set seems so smooth. Currently, I feel as if I have 3 distinct styles of clubs in my irons. It kind of plays on my mind.

I like the flow of the set, one of the best things about them imo.

hit these some at the PGA store today. very smooth feeling club and super easy to hit. I was getting the same distances I see with my speedblades pretty much across the board, which was very surprising. Of course this was on a simulator, so it may have had a simulated tailwind (or headwind) so I don't know. Either way, if Club Champion ends up recommending these during my fitting on Thursday I won't be disappointed!

hit these some at the PGA store today. very smooth feeling club and super easy to hit. I was getting the same distances I see with my speedblades pretty much across the board, which was very surprising. Of course this was on a simulator, so it may have had a simulated tailwind (or headwind) so I don't know. Either way, if Club Champion ends up recommending these during my fitting on Thursday I won't be disappointed!

I don't think you will either they are very forgiving for distance and direction don't get me wrong if you put a bad enough swing on them you can still get them way right or left but I only find that when I am trying to hit the ball hard. I find a nice smooth swing works best for these clubs.

I honestly believe these could be a great setup for you.

FWIW, my distances didn't change between these and the Speedblades.

I actually picked up distance over my TM 2.0's. I think it's because of a larger sweet spot and they are just easier to control for me anyway.
I have never hit an iron on a par 3 that was over 200 yards until I got these now I have to be careful not to overcook the green with the 4 iron.
Buying these has opened spots in my bag because I no longer carry any hybrids.

I actually picked up distance over my TM 2.0's. I think it's because of a larger sweet spot and they are just easier to control for me anyway.
I have never hit an iron on a par 3 that was over 200 yards until I got these now I have to be careful not to overcook the green with the 4 iron.
Buying these has opened spots in my bag because I no longer carry any hybrids.

These dawgs hunt and are as long as anything I have gamed. They're fun to hit and give me that good secure feeling. It's kind of like wearing a good pair of Depends! :D

Back