Sore, chapped and blistered hands, how do you handle them?

Castor Hades

Reaction score
Handicap
6.7 EGA
I've played 6 rounds this week and going to play one more today. My hands are quite dry, and a few joints are a bit sore. Even a small cut has appeared on my left hand finger.

I use sports tape, moisturizing after rounds and I try to massage / rub my hands every now and then.

Any tips on keeping your hands from getting too sore?

Sports tape is the way to go. Blister band-aids are a must as well.

Assuming you're working hard to keep a reasonable, light, grip--there are a few things. I try to play every day of my life the last few months. Early mornings or late nights, if it's a half hour on the chipping green or a full game, doesn't matter.

So I've been dealing with the hands. I've done all the research you can imagine. I've tried it all. Here's my comments:

1. Try to keep a light grip. I do, and so this advice no longer applies. And you'll get sore, if you play enough, even if you're holding the club too loose.

2. An Alieve in the morning when you wake up. Some take two, but I usually have a light beer after the round and advil/alieve and alcohol are not the best mix for your stomach so I keep it to one.

3. DON'T ICE. It takes the pain away, but slows down the healing. Massage is best, and using them. They'll be most sore after you don't use them for a while, like when sleeping. But keep them moving and the soreness goes away.

4. If it gets really bad, focus on chipping and putting if you must play and take a few days off of the full swing. If you hit fat a lot at the range, that can make it worse. My hands have cured most of my fat shots (which was cause by balance/head movement issues). So that's a positive from it all, but boy did they hurt until I got that resolved.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Sports tape is the way to go. Blister band-aids are a must as well.

smart man, i also tend to wear my glove more when i'm playing more often i usually don't like wearing it all the time.

Sports tape for sure. It doesn't feel good removing it but it beats the heck out of the blisters on the fingers.

Sports tape for sure. It doesn't feel good removing it but it beats the heck out of the blisters on the fingers.

Agreed. Athletic tape all the way.

Actually raided the football equipment room the other day for a few rolls to replenish the supply.

I use a glove and take it off after every shot, athletic tape in some cases on the off hand works well. But this doesn't stop my hands getting beat. I just have multiple calluses on every finger and 3/4 on both palms. Ever since I started playing sports it's been that way, same with feet.

good clean grips help me so I don't have to strangle the club. If I do get a sore spot or blister, I wrap it with hockey tape.

Sports tape was once again in use, got me trough the round well. I suspect sore hands later in the day though :)

good clean grips help me so I don't have to strangle the club. If I do get a sore spot or blister, I wrap it with hockey tape.

Clean my grips with the Lamkin Gripes regularly too and I think that helps with keep the hands in good condition.

To Castor, band aid on any blister or cut, then wrap over the band aid once or twice with athletic tape. Always seems to work.

I agree with all of this, especially watch your gripk , number 1. If you're seeing 2 knuckles when you look down at the club at your lead hand you're hands arent forcing the club back to square the face.

Assuming you're working hard to keep a reasonable, light, grip--there are a few things. I try to play every day of my life the last few months. Early mornings or late nights, if it's a half hour on the chipping green or a full game, doesn't matter.

So I've been dealing with the hands. I've done all the research you can imagine. I've tried it all. Here's my comments:

1. Try to keep a light grip. I do, and so this advice no longer applies. And you'll get sore, if you play enough, even if you're holding the club too loose.

2. An Alieve in the morning when you wake up. Some take two, but I usually have a light beer after the round and advil/alieve and alcohol are not the best mix for your stomach so I keep it to one.

3. DON'T ICE. It takes the pain away, but slows down the healing. Massage is best, and using them. They'll be most sore after you don't use them for a while, like when sleeping. But keep them moving and the soreness goes away.

4. If it gets really bad, focus on chipping and putting if you must play and take a few days off of the full swing. If you hit fat a lot at the range, that can make it worse. My hands have cured most of my fat shots (which was cause by balance/head movement issues). So that's a positive from it all, but boy did they hurt until I got that resolved.

Hope that helps and good luck.

I get dry and chapped to the point of deep splits, Neutrogena helps sort it out but I tend not to use it until there's a problem, I'm sure regular use would prevent them in the first place.

I've found that pre-round moisturizing keeps skin a bit more elastic and less prone to getting cracked and chapped. I'm not talking about right before the round (hello slippery clubs), I'm more talking about maybe a half hour before, so that whatever lotion one uses can sink into the skin completely. I still get callouses and dry skin after a bit, but it doesn't seem to be nearly as bad as when I don't apply anything to my hands.

Agreed on sports tape, especially for cuts and raw blisters.

A tip I learned from running - if you have a blister that hasn't been punctured/broken yet, snip it with sterile scissors or poke with sterile needle and drain. Leave skin to heal over. Blister heals much faster. (I'd give it at least a day of rest before trying to hit balls, though.)

My hands get torn up ridiculously easy and after trying everything I just settled on two gloves and no longer have problems. I know it's not for everyone and some hate it but for me it works. I don't even notice them anymore. I prefer the thin gloves like FJ WeatherSof

My hands get torn up ridiculously easy and after trying everything I just settled on two gloves and no longer have problems. I know it's not for everyone and some hate it but for me it works. I don't even notice them anymore. I prefer the thin gloves like FJ WeatherSof

I've tried it once, didn't feel like home, but sure...if I had to choose to play or not to play, I'd play with as many gloves as needed.

I use my wife's hand cream daily as my job requires me to use hand sanitizer repeatedly everyday.

I'm definitely going to try this. Do you wear them when you putt?

I'm definitely going to try this. Do you wear them when you putt?

Yeah I usually just leave them on. I got tired of taking them on and off haha I don't think I lose any feel while putting. I mess around without them occasionally but mostly they are on.

Interesting, I'll have to find a LH glove somewhere now.

Interesting, I'll have to find a LH glove somewhere now.

Definitely get it a go. You may just end up leaving it on : )

I play every three out of four days, and I wear two gloves (even when I putt) with thin foam first aid tape under the gloves for extra cushioning of some old injuries.

In terms of treating your hands, i had exactly the same problem about a year ago and asked the good people of THP for help. One of the members suggested a product called Badger Balm, and it has been god-send ever since. I never go anywhere without it!

It's pretty cheap, and it works great! Give it a go!

I use tape on spots I can feel blisters starting to form, and try to get those spots calloused up - this has gotten a bit easier since adding kettlebells to my workout routine, since they've taken care of building up the callouses. I just make sure to file the callouses down with a pumice stone so they don't rip. This has been the first season I haven't started with blisters all over my hand.

I hit or play 5+ days/week. I find that some gloves are better than others for blister/callous prevention. Mizuno glove has worked best, Callaway gloves the worst.
I try to moisturize my hands every night before bed with either an aloe based product or a dermatologist recommended cream. No ointments or oil based products - the absorption is lousy.
I used to play without gloves, but I use a glove all the time now. I take it off around the green and to putt.

Back