The Official Banter Away Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't speak for Prescott Valley. My parents have 10 acres up there that was worth a lot before the bust and now is still depressed in value. Some areas are better than others, if you were looking in the Phoenix Metro area, there are some great areas in Gilbert/Chandler.

Too hot in the valley. I have to work outside.

Too hot in the valley. I have to work outside.

Too bad. With you we might finally have enough for a THP Arizona foursome.

You wouldn't wanna put up with me for four hours :alien:

I've played two rounds with Blugold. I think I'm up for it.

I've woken up between 230 and 3 the last 4 mornings for no good reason at all. Of course, I can't get back to sleep. I want to get up and start my day but there isn't a whole lot to do at 3 am.

On my way to the range. Excited about this session.

At least in our local market, as long as you had a halfway decent interest rate, renting a house costs QUITE a bit more per month than a mortgage on the same house.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Hmmm.
This cant possibly include HOA (for some areas), Taxes, Insurance and repairs.
In my opinion, unless the same house is appreciating at more than 10% a year (which is doubtful right now), its not even close to the same cost.
Even with minimal repairs, property taxes can be very high in desirable areas.
Those same desirable areas have HOA and in some cases CDD.
Then add in some of the ludicrous property taxes and its not even close.

Lakeland and some of the outskirts of Tampa may have this, but we have yet to see it at any area we have looked at over the last 6 years together at every neighborhood we have looked at. In fact we sat and talked to our realtor (Mward) about this very thing at lunch just last month as we were putting an offer in on a rental property. He agreed as well.

What we have paid in rent would be about 2/3s at best, the cost of ownership for any place we have looked at and frankly anything even remotely close to the neighborhoods we have looked at.

This covers Carolwood, Westchase, Countryside, Clearwater, St Pete, Sarasota, parts of Bradenton, Windermere, Celebration, Greenville, West Hartford, Indianapolis, and a few others I wont mention (obviously not every neighborhood in those areas). Then add in that what a house is worth and what is received are different amounts, when you add in the blood suckers that all want their money, etc.

The only way I can see it even being close is solid 10 year plus ownership
Very minimal repairs needed
An area with very low HOA or none at all with no deed restrictions (and of course no CDD)
And definitely not near the water, to keep insurance costs low as well.

There are hundreds of articles supporting both sides, but in the end one must look very carefully at all the numbers (as we did). Comparing just mortgage to rent, I would say without a doubt ownership is cheaper.

Last edited:
Hmmm.
In my opinion, unless the same house is appreciating at more than 10% a year (which is doubtful right now), its not even close to the same cost.

Lakeland and some of the outskirts of Tampa may have this, but we have yet to see it at any area we have looked at over the last 6 years together at every neighborhood we have looked at. In fact we sat and talked to our realtor (Mward) about this very thing at lunch just last month as we were putting an offer in on a rental property. He agreed as well.

What we have paid in rent would be about 2/3s at best, the cost of ownership for any place we have looked at and frankly anything even remotely close to the neighborhoods we have looked at.

This covers Carolwood, Westchase, Countryside, Clearwater, St Pete, Sarasota, parts of Bradenton, Windermere, Celebration, Greenville, West Hartford, Indianapolis, and a few others I wont mention (obviously not every neighborhood in those areas). Then add in that what a house is worth and what is received are different amounts, when you add in the blood suckers that all want their money, etc.

An area with very low HOA or none at all with no deed restrictions (and of course no CDD)

There are hundreds of articles supporting both sides, but in the end one must look very carefully at all the numbers (as we did). Comparing just mortgage to rent, I would say without a doubt ownership is cheaper.

It's all relative to your area obviously, which is why I said in my local market, and I will say anywhere where home ownership is not affordable is an area I won't live. The very idea of paying rent turns my stomach over, and always has.
Here, Even in areas like Fish hawk with high cods, rent just goes up to reflect that. Otherwise there would be no money to be made.

It's all a personal decision. And you have to balance it with your financial plan.

It's all relative to your area obviously, which is why I said in my local market, and I will say anywhere where home ownership is not affordable is an area I won't live. The very idea of paying rent turns my stomach over, and always has.
Here, Even in areas like Fish hawk with high cods, rent just goes up to reflect that. Otherwise there would be no money to be made.

It's all a personal decision. And you have to balance it with your financial plan.

Very very true. To use an example. Lakewood Ranch, Westchase and other golf planned developments that are around FL. Every one we looked at the cost of rent vs ownership was staggering. Then add any place that has very high HOAs. Cost of rent vs ownership equally staggering.

The house we are in right now (and the last one) would cost more than double to own than it does to rent. However in areas with cheap houses, that may not be the case. I have never struggled with renting (others do), and yet I have owned a number of homes.

Very very true. To use an example. Lakewood Ranch, Westchase and other golf planned developments that are around FL. Every one we looked at the cost of rent vs ownership was staggering. Then add any place that has very high HOAs. Cost of rent vs ownership equally staggering.

The house we are in right now (and the last one) would cost more than double to own than it does to rent. However in areas with cheap houses, that may not be the case. I have never struggled with renting (others do), and yet I have owned a number of homes.

When we built 3 years ago we got quite lucky in my opinion. We are in Parish/palmetto area and qualified for a USDA loan. The house was half built and one of the last remaining lots in the neighborhood and we got a great price. Like you said, after 10 years of ownership we should be in a really good place. I would love to be in the river strand neighborhood but it's nearly impossible with the size house we would need. I am now considering adding on rather than moving when we have a second child. The taxes and low HOA make it tuff when looking elsewhere. Again, like you mentioned this area isn't as desirable as a Lakewood ranch/west chase type neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people and their posts make zero sense and make me constantly confused

Trying to maintain a positive attitude with my scoring as my handicap creeps up. Did not expect swing changes to be so frustrating at times. But, in the mid and long term I know its going to pay dividends.

Trying to maintain a positive attitude with my scoring as my handicap creeps up. Did not expect swing changes to be so frustrating at times. But, in the mid and long term I know its going to pay dividends.
Be patient. Keep in mind, it took Tiger one to two years each time he did it. It is just a hard thing to do to get to the point where the new swing is normal, can be trusted and you are able to think about playing instead of swing thoughts on the course.

The tempoary rise in Handicap will be worth it in the end just keep working hard on making those changes and being consistent with them and the scores will come back down.

Swim away!

OWS98e7.gif

The tempoary rise in Handicap will be worth it in the end just keep working hard on making those changes and being consistent with them and the scores will come back down.

I'm trying to tell myself the same...Hawk had been at the forefront of telling me it's going to get worse before it gets better

I'm trying to tell myself the same...Hawk had been at the forefront of telling me it's going to get worse before it gets better

It be troof.

Its the troof I swear it is! My game has gotten worse then better, make another tweak and back to worse get tweak figured out play better, Rinse and repeat every 2 weeks at the moment

Hmmm.

Oh god don't do it.

Why is window tinting so effing expensive? I should have negotiated the dealership to have it done for nothing. Bah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back