2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard crossfit wod tonight.

400m run with 45# plate
Then 3 rounds
5 touch and go power clean and jerks 95#
15 knees to elbows (I do them on the floor)
10 shoot throughs in lieu of muscle ups
Then
400m run with 45# plate

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good heart rate monitor?

Polar or Suunto. If you want to use your phone as well, check if you can use the Sportstracker app, they have a monitor as well, and the app is awesome to keep all your workout stats. Distances, maps, calories, heart rate, etc.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good heart rate monitor?

I am quoting myself to add, what would you recommend that can also track pace? So I believe that means it needs a GPS as well. Am I crazy to think I can get something that is decent and accurate that does both for under $150?

I am quoting myself to add, what would you recommend that can also track pace? So I believe that means it needs a GPS as well. Am I crazy to think I can get something that is decent and accurate that does both for under $150?

I can check with some of the ladies in my office. They are big time runners.

I can check with some of the ladies in my office. They are big time runners.

Thanks! I am not much of a runner, and I really want it more for the heart rate monitor, but for the times I do run it would be nice to have one device that does it all.

Thanks! I am not much of a runner, and I really want it more for the heart rate monitor, but for the times I do run it would be nice to have one device that does it all.

the one I have is only a heart rate monitor. Not sure if Nerfny's has a GPS in it. I will let you know what I find out.

the one I have is only a heart rate monitor. Not sure if Nerfny's has a GPS in it. I will let you know what I find out.

Mine is just a heart rate monitor no GPS.

Achievement unlocked. Two months ahead of time. Need a belt and new pants again six weeks after grabbing some. Going to just keep going for the time being. Belly still needs a little flattening.

ytevumym.jpg

Achievement unlocked. Two months ahead of time. Need a belt and new pants again six weeks after grabbing some. Going to just keep going for the time being. Belly still needs a little flattening.

ytevumym.jpg

Atta boy Hawk!!!!! I have been avoiding the scale for a week or 2 because honestly, I havent done much in terms of working out. Just burned out. Still walking and doing stuff but havent been riding the bike at 6am. Stepped on the scale and I am down 112.2lbs. Definitely have more I want to accomplish but I am very pleased with where I am at right now. Once I get back from Indy, time to kick it back into high gear.

Atta boy Hawk!!!!! I have been avoiding the scale for a week or 2 because honestly, I havent done much in terms of working out. Just burned out. Still walking and doing stuff but havent been riding the bike at 6am. Stepped on the scale and I am down 112.2lbs. Definitely have more I want to accomplish but I am very pleased with where I am at right now. Once I get back from Indy, time to kick it back into high gear.

Yea buddy! That's awesome. I was just thinking of my plans for this final push as well. I want to really finish strong leading up to July.

Nice one Hawk, putting me to shame with all that effort

I stood on the scales a couple days ago and wasn't surprised to find that I haven't lost any weight, but was pleased to see I haven't gained any either despite the lack of cardio at the moment. Need to give myself that little kick of motivation again, but it is difficult at the moment with all the work stuff I am trying to get finished before I leave and the problems Jen is having with her knee again. I might not push myself when I have been jogging with Jen, but I am finding it hard to motivate myself to head out on my own

Nice one Hawk, putting me to shame with all that effort

I stood on the scales a couple days ago and wasn't surprised to find that I haven't lost any weight, but was pleased to see I haven't gained any either despite the lack of cardio at the moment. Need to give myself that little kick of motivation again, but it is difficult at the moment with all the work stuff I am trying to get finished before I leave and the problems Jen is having with her knee again. I might not push myself when I have been jogging with Jen, but I am finding it hard to motivate myself to head out on my own

Maintaining isn't necessarily a bad thing either. Just a little pause in the action until you are ready to get back out there.

It's time for change. I am disgusted with myself.
I got on the scale this morning and lets just say I am 300+.
I have severe asthma ( have been intubated and have been on a respirator after one severe attack almost 3 years ago)
I don't eat well at all.
Energy level sucks
Have sleep apnea
I am not in a good place right now!

I have let myself down before, I am hoping this thread gets me on track and keeps me there!

My hopes:
To shed pounds, I have always said imagine how good I'd look at 220, maybe that could start off as a goal.
To get in better shape, and be able to breathe better, sleep better, look better, and basically BE better.

My Challenges: (There are many)
I eat horribly (LOVE junk food, Diet coke FREAK!)
I am a picky eater,to the point I cant think of anything "healthy" food wise I enjoy.
If I don't like the food, I cant bring myself to eat it (I've tried before).
I'm afraid without accountability I will fail again.

My Plan:
Start walking a few nights a week (at least) with my wife
TRYING to eat better, drink better
Body weight exercises
Drink 1 gallon of water per day
Protein shakes as snacks to fill me up
Taking a daily Multivitamin to help my body get some nutrients I lack through diet.
Move exercise bike from garage into living room, and watch one program per week (to start) while pedaling.
Post what I have done here.

I am hoping I can get this done, I am asking for your help and guidance along the way.

Good luck Michigan Slice.

I need to get back to working out now that work has slowed down (hard to get to the gym when you work from 730 to 10 or later.)

I have severe asthma ( have been intubated and have been on a respirator after one severe attack almost 3 years ago)
I don't eat well at all.
Energy level sucks
Have sleep apnea

I have let myself down before, I am hoping this thread gets me on track and keeps me there!

My hopes:
To shed pounds, I have always said imagine how good I'd look at 220, maybe that could start off as a goal.
To get in better shape, and be able to breathe better, sleep better, look better, and basically BE better.

I am a picky eater,to the point I cant think of anything "healthy" food wise I enjoy.

My Plan:
Body weight exercises
Taking a daily Multivitamin to help my body get some nutrients I lack through diet.
Move exercise bike from garage into living room, and watch one program per week (to start) while pedaling.

I am hoping I can get this done, I am asking for your help and guidance along the way.

Excited to follow your journey. As you progress the improved feeling will be enough motivation to keep going.

Starting today, no sodas...wish me luck!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Good luck with your journey Michigan Slice

After my earlier post about lack of motivation, I am currently sat here in the office working my way through some 'boring' database design work but am listening to some of the mix music tracks that I was using when I was out jogging and it is actually making me want to go for a run.....the weather outside is cold, wet and windy but maybe posting about my lack of motivation has actually flicked a switch in my head to get me back into thinking about doing more again

We have already got things arranged for the next few evenings and the weekend so my aim is going to be to go for a run on Monday evening regardless of the weather

I don't eat well at all.
Energy level sucks
Have sleep apnea

My hopes:

My Plan:
Body weight exercises

You can do this dude. You're going to need to get out of your comfort zone though. My advice is not to do it halfway for long, because the better results you see, the more likely you are going to be to stick with it.

Eating healthier sucks for a week or two. Once your body gets used to the new routine it'll become easier. Plan for a cheat day (or two) that are your reward for a week of living healthy. Then you have a light at the end of the tunnel. Also, the better you eat during the day while you're busy, the better tasting meal you can afford to have at dinner, which again leaves you a light at the end of the tunnel.

I'd be glad to give you some good tasting ideas for food. I'm a chef by trade and have really had no issues with finding something I like to eat that is better for me.

You can do this! Just put your mind to it, suffer a week or two, and it will become much easier and eventually very much a normal thing.

CJ, I would love to sit down with you and have a chat this weekend. Just let me know if you are interested.

I don't eat well at all.
Energy level sucks
Have sleep apnea

My hopes:

My Plan:
Body weight exercises

For eating better, the simplest plan I can think of is to take your goal weight and multiply it by 11. That's 2420. Your daily caloric intake. Aim for 25% of those calories to come from protein. No more than 30 grams at a time. Lots of fruits and veggies. Don't avoid dairy. Avoid processed.

Work up a 20 minute sweat on the bike three to four nights a week. It will not hurt your golf game. Trust me. Body weight exercises are a great place to start. You will shed pounds.

The hard part is that good is now fuel. Not comfort.

For eating better, the simplest plan I can think of is to take your goal weight and multiply it by 11. That's 2420. Your daily caloric intake. Aim for 25% of those calories to come from protein. No more than 30 grams at a time. Lots of fruits and veggies. Don't avoid dairy. Avoid processed.

Work up a 20 minute sweat on the bike three to four nights a week. It will not hurt your golf game. Trust me. Body weight exercises are a great place to start. You will shed pounds.

The hard part is that good is now fuel. Not comfort.

Pretty much this, outside of weekends. I just eat to get my calories and move on to other things. Some days it sucks. Most days it's just status-quo and I don't think about it twice.

Pretty much this, outside of weekends. I just eat to get my calories and move on to other things. Some days it sucks. Most days it's just status-quo and I don't think about it twice.

I fight it frequently. I am by no means a healthy eater. When I have buckled down to lose weight, I can throw 5-10 pounds off in short order. Then all of a sudden I go back on it. Granted, some of the things I do and the goals I have in the weight room are not conducive to eating to losing weight. That sounds like a crazy dumb excuse.

I fight it frequently. I am by no means a healthy eater. When I have buckled down to lose weight, I can throw 5-10 pounds off in short order. Then all of a sudden I go back on it. Granted, some of the things I do and the goals I have in the weight room are not conducive to eating to losing weight. That sounds like a crazy dumb excuse.

It's crazy that it works this way, but I just don't find it hard any more and I am on a very low calorie diet right now and have been for months. I'm never hungry except for right before meals. I was hungry for awhile, but that's long over with. I think cheat meals play a big part in keeping my body burning too, because I can literally eat anything I want for two days and still lose 2-4lbs a week no problem.

It's crazy that it works this way, but I just don't find it hard any more and I am on a very low calorie diet right now and have been for months. I'm never hungry except for right before meals. I was hungry for awhile, but that's long over with. I think cheat meals play a big part in keeping my body burning too, because I can literally eat anything I want for two days and still lose 2-4lbs a week no problem.

The body does adapt super quick. It is a fancy machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back