College Golfers using Push Carts

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
Love my push cart.

People just want something to b*tch about

The guy was pretty pumped to be using a cart handed down to him and knew he would take flak. Many years down the road he will be the one laughing.

I listened to an interview with the Stanford coach and he thinks its a great Idea. It actually started with the kid that won the singles title. He has some back issues that makes it hard to carry his bag, so he started to use a push cart. Patrick Rogers soon followed suit due to some back issues...the whole team basically joined in at that point. Stanfords coach says that the push cart is worth about a half shot per round based on the studies they have done at the school. I personally see no real issue with it. While not my style, I also don't see why its a big deal. The amount of golf they play in 6 days in brutal...

I'll admit that when I first saw it on television I was kinda taken back. But In the end who really cares?

The sport of golf has an amazing capacity to find the exact wrong things to worry about while ignoring the stuff that actually matters.

"Get off my lawn!"

-Golf "traditionalists"

I noticed it in watching the finals. I don't have a problem with it at all. Actually, it was kinda cool seeing them being used at that level.

JM

See no reason they should not use a cart, after all, this is not an Iron Man event.

I'm a youngish guy with an athletic build and get a fair amount of jabs about using my clicgear. In my case carrying is not an option and I don't feel like paying for 80-100 cart fees a year. I'll let these Huey's games do the talking and not their bag setup.

The sport of golf has an amazing capacity to find the exact wrong things to worry about while ignoring the stuff that actually matters.

Well said and good point.

I use a push cart when I walk and I can't imagine carrying a bag 18 holes, let alone if I was also playing said holes.

I wouldn't mind seeing caddies on the PGA tour with a push cart. To me it doesn't matter one iota how the guy gets the clubs to the golfer. I can only imagine how heavy the average bag is out on tour, staff bags are gargantuan! There have likely been caddies who reach a point where they can't physically carry the bag 18 holes and have retired as a result. If they were allowed push carts they could probably stay in the game longer.

I guess they need to play with wooden clubs and balata balls too....geez

I recently saw a European Tour Event in Korea or somewhere in Asia where they had lots of female caddies using push carts.

Ugggg, the wussification of America continues. It does look pretty silly watching him push his cart around after draining a 20 foot birdie or hitting a 300 yard drive. But either way I don't really care one way or the other. I'm a little more old school and prefer to watch those kids carry their bag as they walk up to the green. But I'm fine with the push cart. But it doesn't help the stigma the game has with some as being an old man's sport.

So incredibly short sighted and dumb.

Ugggg, the wussification of America continues. It does look pretty silly watching him push his cart around after draining a 20 foot birdie or hitting a 300 yard drive. But either way I don't really care one way or the other. I'm a little more old school and prefer to watch those kids carry their bag as they walk up to the green. But I'm fine with the push cart. But it doesn't help the stigma the game has with some as being an old man's sport.

In my day, we would carry the golf bags with push carts attached, uphill - in both directions.

Of course, we would also tie an onion around our belt, as was the custom at the time.

MAke fun of me all you want I wish they would have had decent ones when I was young. I reckon toting a golf bag around 7 days a weeks for atleast 18 holes per from 12-18 did wonders for helping my current back problems I now suffer from.

In my day, we would carry the golf bags with push carts attached, uphill - in both directions.

Of course, we would also tie an onion around our belt, as was the custom at the time.

We had to do the same here but it was in snow 5 feet deep.

Me winning isn't. You do.

The problem is everyone wants to find something wrong and COMPLAIN about anything you can..

Lets be happy!

I've gone back and forth using one. I do notice a difference in my shoulders when I walk 18 with my carry bag. I'm not that old and I have for away from using the cart the last few years. Either way I totally understand why someone would use one.

Then why doesn't it bother you that the Tour players have someone else carrying their bag? I fully agree that there are a lot of "wussification" going on in America now, but I don't see how this qualifies when the professionals do not carry.

I've gone back and forth using one. I do notice a difference in my shoulders when I walk 18 with my carry bag. I'm not that old and I have for away from using the cart the last few years. Either way I totally understand why someone would use one.

I prefer to carry for the added exercise benefit, but there have been some dog days of summer that I opted for a cart on the back nine because I only had enough left in the tank to carry or to swing. Not both.

Then why doesn't it bother you that the Tour players have someone else carrying their bag? I fully agree that there are a lot of "wussification" going on in America now, but I don't see how this qualifies when the professionals do not carry.

Just must be the strut in their walk as they approach their ball, tee, green, etc. Some pull it off better than others.

#JohnTravoltaStrut

Came across this article today.

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/05/critics-of-college-players-usi.html

Maybe the problem with golf is stupid comments from analysts. How are you going to criticize college golfers for using a push cart?

Im especially upset that Bo Van Pelt felt the need to comment considering he pays someone else to carry his bag for him.

I agree. Wish they would have had them as an option when I was that age. My back would be happier today. Last person that should talk is a pro that hasn't touched a back in years.......

When I was a kid push carts were seen all over. Somewhere in the 80's they fell out of favor here in the US. To be honest I suspect due to courses getting more $$$ out of a golf cart rental rather than a push cart rental. Push carts are still popular most of the world over except here in the US. There has been a slight resurgence of push carts in the last 5 years with all the great models that are being built and sold.

In a time when our populace needs to get fit anything that gets people walking is a good thing.

Back