ball striker

Reaction score
So I noticed Colin Montgomerie is gaming some super gi irons according to golf channel. Wow.....I guess he simplified the game and could care less about shot shaping, spin and consistency with a cast set. Any thoughts?? It is on the Champions (senior) tour however. lol

To be fair, whether or not a set is cast has no impact on shot shaping.
A traditional muscleback can shape shots and be cast.

Not sure why it matters TBH. Also not sure why it matters that he is on the Champions Tour. More and more professionals have been making their way to perimeter weighted clubs over the last decade. As to the cast set, how the club is made has no impact on the playability.

Which Irons is he gaming?

I don't think it matters either. Game what's best for you. If that's his thing then good for him. I'm about to drop my 4i for another hybrid. That'll make for 5 knobby lookin clubs in my bag. Will I get some condescending looks from some "purists"? Maybe. Do I care? Not in the least. To each his own. One of the things I love about golf is how incredibly personalized it is.

Kenny P plays a set of your favorite brand's GI irons too. Redlines the last time I checked, though I haven't seen an update recently.

SGI irons don't spin the ball? That's news to me

Kenny P plays a set of your favorite brand's GI irons too. Redlines the last time I checked, though I haven't seen an update recently.

And he has little trouble working the ball either direction or stopping the ball dead plus like Monty, he has earned MILLIONS! The ball could care less about what class ones irons are from and any club can be "worked" in either direction in the right hands.
:deadhorse:

I already regret doing this, but what makes you think that?
Lol you can get it to check but with fat soles it's much easier with a forged players set for both feel, sole width and workability.

This just isn't true. I can spin a ball with an sgi iron or a blade, doesn't matter. It's all about technique and clean grooves

Lol you can get it to check but with fat soles it's much easier with a forged players set for both feel, sole width and workability.

just going to say it again. How clubs is made(forged vs cast) has no impact on this whatsoever. Some people may find it easier to pinch the ball off the turf with a thinner soled club, however that does not mean one cannot spin or control the spin of a golf ball with a wider soled or SGI club.

No they don't buddy. Get out more often big guy.

Yeah - I don't believe that's necessarily true. SGI clubs don't launch knuckleballs everywhere.

I am not even going to touch the cast/forged thing. People here have already done that for me.

Does anybody else find a ton of irony in the Adams #ownthesecondshot banner at the top of the OP?

Monty has been playing sgi irons his while career. Still plays a pronounced fade and work it both ways.

There a big difference between having the talent to spin an sgi and saying they spin. How would you explain stop on a dime shots I have seen and played.

That is the keyword...easier. I've seen players much better than I work the ball with GI clubs but it is easier to get the side spin on players clubs. I purposely played a fade with my GI clubs on a hole last weekend and I'm not that good at working the ball.

From my metallurgy background, I can tell you that a well made steel cast will not feel different than a forged club to 99% of the people in a blind test. That being said, I personally like the feel of forged clubs but have hit more than one cast club that feels every bit as good.

That is the keyword...easier. I've seen players much better than I work the ball with GI clubs but it is easier to get the side spin on players clubs. I purposely played a fade with my GI clubs on a hole last weekend and I'm not that good at working the ball.

From my metallurgy background, I can tell you that a well made steel cast will not feel different than a forged club to 99% of the people in a blind test. That being said, I personally like the feel of forged clubs but have hit more than one cast club that feels every bit as good.
Exactly. I didn't say it was impossible I just think if you have wide, cambered soles it makes it a little tougher to get the ball to check without hitting it fat.

Exactly. I didn't say it was impossible I just think if you have wide, cambered soles it makes it a little tougher to get the ball to check without hitting it fat.

I don't understand why that is, I thought one of the reasons blades were wonderful was because the cog wasn't so low so they didn't launch with so much spin?

I can understand the workability side of things, but I've found gi Irons very easy to spin. They flight high and land soft.

If your making contact with the sole before the face then we have issues. The face of the club dictates the direction of the ball and since the club is design to be hit with the face of the club the sole doesn't matter.

The wider sole is designed to get the ball up not help with working the ball. An inside out swing releases properly will impart side axis spin with or without a large sole. This notion you have simply is bit true

just going to say it again. How clubs is made(forged vs cast) has no impact on this whatsoever.

This is 100% accurate. If one wants to believe they feel better...so be it. But discussing how a club is made in direct relation to ball movement is 100% incorrect.

If it wins him more $$$ more power to him

I have to disagree with this. I thought you were discussing workability (left/right, etc.) and not backspin. Many wedges (forged and cast) have wide, cambered soles that do not check the ball better or worse than the same wedges that have a more narrow sole. That is all about your swing and the turf / sand conditions.

Back