Need A Good Book Recommendation

Nate

My Friends Call Me Big Time
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
June is going to be a good vacation month for me and I'm going to have some time to finally read a book or 2. So to all the THP'ers out there that do still have the pleasure of reading, what would you recommend for me??!! I like most everything, drama, action, sports and most other things. Just looking for a something that was just a "Wow" or "Couldn't put it down" book. Something that was maybe popular over the last 2-3 years.

Thanks ahead of time!

I always recommend these books, but they are very, very good.

The Greatest Game Ever Played (Ouimet)
The Match (Nelson/Hogan)
The Grand Slam (Bobby Jones)

All by Mark Frost. All golf related, but also delve into the environment that they players lived in at the time. Some historical context as well.

I like to read, but most dont like my choices.
For authors, when they are not O'Reilly or finance guys, I read these.

Michael Connelly (Trunk Music was my favorite)
Stephen Frey
Tim Green - Solid and football themed

The Civil War: A Narrative by Shelby Foote

June is going to be a good vacation month for me and I'm going to have some time to finally read a book or 2. So to all the THP'ers out there that do still have the pleasure of reading, what would you recommend for me??!! I like most everything, drama, action, sports and most other things. Just looking for a something that was just a "Wow" or "Couldn't put it down" book. Something that was maybe popular over the last 2-3 years.

Thanks ahead of time!

Left Behind series.

Also road signs on the way to Denver could make for a Good book. Or you could carry your luggage, lol

If you like history, Unbroken is an amazing story.

"A Walk In The Woods", Bill Bryson.

What happens when an overweight city guy - who happens to be an established travel writer - decides to backpack The Appalachian Trail? You get one of the funniest first person accounts ever written.

We just brought this up yesterday at work and I'm thinking of rereading: "Outlaw Platoon".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0062066404?pc_redir=1401240983&robot_redir=1

2egybyhu.jpg

"A Walk In The Woods", Bill Bryson.

What happens when an overweight city guy - who happens to be an established travel writer - decides to backpack The Appalachian Trail? You get one of the funniest first person accounts ever written.

That's a fun/enjoyable/thoughtful read.

If you like history, Unbroken is an amazing story.

I have it on loan from a friend, I plan to get started this weekend. I have heard some awesome things about it.

You don't have time to read...the Morgan Cup is only 57 days away :alien:

Do you have any particular favourites as far as authors go?

I am quite a Tom Clancy fan and have a lot of his books
Clive Cussler - NUMA, Dirk Pitt series
Robert Ludlum - The Bourne series

Sci-fi / fantasy

Brent Weeks - Night Angel trilogy
Trudi Canavan - Black Magician trilogy, Age of the Five, Traitor Spy trilogy

You don't have time to read...the Morgan Cup is only 57 days away :alien:

You must have a strong mind and mental game for the MC too. All part of the training Cap.

Do you have any particular favourites as far as authors go?

I am quite a Tom Clancy fan and have a lot of his books
Clive Cussler - NUMA, Dirk Pitt series
Robert Ludlum - The Bourne series

Sci-fi / fantasy

Brent Weeks - Night Angel trilogy
Trudi Canavan - Black Magician trilogy, Age of the Five, Traitor Spy trilogy

It's really sad, but I don't. Having 3 kiddos all under the age of 8 and a golf habbit has done some damage in this area.

Only two books I've read in over the last decade, both were good:

The Lone Survivor (amazing)
Gone Girl

I liked the Bernie Gunther series by Philip Kerr.

on a lighter note for a vacation read, I liked the book of awesome by Neil Pasricha

Left Behind series.

Also road signs on the way to Denver could make for a Good book. Or you could carry your luggage, lol

Left Behind Series is such a great one. I could not put those books down.

Lone survivor
American Sniper
Marine Sniper
1Q84

It's really sad, but I don't. Having 3 kiddos all under the age of 8 and a golf habbit has done some damage in this area.

I guess you probably haven't had much time for reading with the 3 kids, let alone the golf.....

If you can get hold of books for nothing as well, it can lead you to authors that you hadn't heard of - this is how I ended up with the Brent Weeks trilogy, as the first book was in a holiday complex library and I enjoyed it so much I went out and bought the whole trilogy when we got back home

All 5 a Song of ice and Fire Books by George RR Martin.

Buy the Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey. I thought it was a great read.

If you want non-fiction, I'd recommend Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose. Matter of fact, any military book from Stephen Ambrose is a great read.

If you're looking for vacation reading I could not put down NOS4A2U (spell it out) by Stephen King. It involves Danny Torrance 30 years after The Shining

I would recommend something, but I don't read for fun too much. My wife reads books all the time, but I don't think you want to read the books she reads, which typically are chick books.

One book I've considered reading is John Grisham's Sycamore Row. It's the sequel to A Time to Kill. But I'm a lawyer, so I'm biased.

~Rock

If you're a parent, I highly recommend checking out Smart Money Smart Kids by Dave Ramsey and his daughter Rachel Cruze. Teaches parents how to teach basic money principles to their kids and to be content.

Or if you're looking to get out of debt yourself I recommend Dave Ramsey's The Total Money Makeover

Personally, I am a fan of Dan Brown's books. Most everyone is familiar with "The Da Vinci Code" and "Angels and Demons". I have found his other works to be just as good or perhaps a bit better. "Digital Fortress" may be of interest given the NSA setting. "Deception Point" and "The Lost Symbol" were good reads. However, I must admit that is latest work, "Inferno" was a bit too much of a travel log.

Back