Minimalist golf shoes or low profile

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone have pain in their knees or feet after wearing the low profile or minimalist shoes? I switched to the Nike free running shoes a couple years ago and since then I've noticed some foot and knee pain. I bought the TW13's and loved them as well as the FI impact but they are beginning to hurt my knees and feet a lot lately.

I mentioned this to my Doc and he was telling me that the minimalist golf shoes are not good for everyone and can cause a wide range of symptoms and issues. Anyone notice any unusual pain from these types of shoe? It doesn't happen with my FJ Classics or Lunar Controls. Freakin hurts today.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Nike Frees (maybe the 3's ??). I tried golfing in them once and my feet were sore for 3-4 days after that. There was absolutely no side-to-side support. I do have a pair of True Linkswear. They are very comfortable. I've never had any pain wearing the during golf, or any pain after golf.

Some of the minimalist shoes kill my feet after a round playing in them.
Not all however.
I struggled with the True Linkswear.
I struggled with the TW line.

There are others that I just love, but some I just do not understand.

No issues here :)

I think the minimalist shoes are something people either love or hate. My feet kill me after wearing a "traditional" pair of golf shoes for 18 holes, but I could walk 36 holes in the TW '13s or the True Linkswear shoes (I actually own a pair of True Sensei that I wear around).

No issues from the ones I wear. They're more comfortable for me while spikes are hit or miss in terms of killing my feet.

Taps away

I have issues with traditional style golf shoes. They just feel awful on my feet and usually leave me sore.

Man the TW's were awesome for a couple years then all of a sudden all my minimalist shoes bother me. I can't figure it out.

My knees do better in a shoe with some substance under the heel. For me the best shoe is have found are still the Lunar control, they are as light as most minimalist shoes while still having support.

I agree Austin, the lunar control is the best shoe out there for me so far. But I suspect some Puma gear will really give them a run for the money, heck they may take the lead!

Anyone have pain in their knees or feet after wearing the low profile or minimalist shoes? I switched to the Nike free running shoes a couple years ago and since then I've noticed some foot and knee pain. I bought the TW13's and loved them as well as the FI impact but they are beginning to hurt my knees and feet a lot lately.

I mentioned this to my Doc and he was telling me that the minimalist golf shoes are not good for everyone and can cause a wide range of symptoms and issues. Anyone notice any unusual pain from these types of shoe? It doesn't happen with my FJ Classics or Lunar Controls. Freakin hurts today.

I have a pair of True Linkswear and they are so flat bottom that they are starting to bother me more and more. Might be time for a change.

I use New Balance minimalist shoes ... The same ones I run in ... Just do not care for traditional golf shoes ...

Minimalist golf shoes or low profile

The best thing I ever did for my feet and knees was get a nice orthotic insole. Takes a comfy shoe and turns it into an absolute dream.

Last edited:
I developed heel problems after wering Trues.I switched over to FJ Contours and to me they are just as comfortable as the Trues.

I don't have an issue with minimalist shoes as you describe.

I do have a problem with regular shoes as most have too much support.

Do you walk or ride?

I just want a Nike Air Max golf shoe...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I don't have an issue with minimalist shoes as you describe.

I do have a problem with regular shoes as most have too much support.

Do you walk or ride?

Both, in Fla I walked all the time and rarely rode, here it's more of a mix because the course designs aren't walking friendly. I'll always walk 9 if that's all I'm playing.

Trout

I love playing in my True Linkswears... but one day I was playing, and goofing around with a friend like I was going to run under his lob shot and catch it. Next thing I know I hear a pop and tore my Plantar Fasciatis. I can't 100% blame the shoes, but up to that point I had never had any problems with my feet. I still wear them, but now I have a special insole - which makes the shoe fit a little different. ( Foot rubs against the top of the shoe a bit ) I tried some others ( FJ contour casuals, etc ) but none were anywhere as comfortable as the Trues, and those are the one spikeless shoes that I have never slipped in, no matter the conditions.

I'm going to try some different insoles and see what happens, anyone try the Dr. Scholls gel inserts? I know there's another insert where you step on the thing and it tells you what to use. Maybe I should see a foot dr.

I'm going to try some different insoles and see what happens, anyone try the Dr. Scholls gel inserts? I know there's another insert where you step on the thing and it tells you what to use. Maybe I should see a foot dr.

Trout

Check out insoles called "Smartfeet" They are very good, and not overly expensive ( 40.00 or so? ) I have them now and my feet are much better. Except when I get on the treadmill and jack the incline as high as it will go and walk at a pace that is just before a run!

I'll check them out BB thanks for the guidance buddy.

I love my True Sensei(sp) they are super comfortable. Only downfall they aren't waterproof. They are fine on dewey mornings but not much more than that.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I have several pairs of shoes that I play in. Puma Tux Lux, Cell Fusion 3 Pro, Club 917, HC Lux, Faas Lite, etc. I haven't experienced any joint or foot pain with any of them. Especially with the minimalist Faas Lites. In fact, I've worn many of my shoes to the gentleman's club after a round to grab beers with my buddies with no I'll effects. Lol

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Both, in Fla I walked all the time and rarely rode, here it's more of a mix because the course designs aren't walking friendly. I'll always walk 9 if that's all I'm playing.

Hmm do you wear out one side of the shoe faster than the other(inside or outside)?

Your gait/stride shouldn't be the same with a minimalist shoe if you are heel striking first with long strides I bet this is the issue.

Hmm do you wear out one side of the shoe faster than the other(inside or outside)?

Your gait/stride shouldn't be the same with a minimalist shoe if you are heel striking first with long strides I bet this is the issue.

Really? I've never really paid attention to the contact before but I do wear the heel a bit first, especially on the right foot.

Back