Is short the way to long?

Nope. I can miss greens from anywhere

Here I'll ask you. How many greens do you miss as a result of missing the fairway vs hitting the fairway? Do you have that stat? I would venture to say more from missed fairways.

I went shorter for consistency. I find the center of the face more often and as a result hut longer, straighter drives.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Here I'll ask you. How many greens do you miss as a result of missing the fairway vs hitting the fairway? Do you have that stat? I would venture to say more from missed fairways.

I don't have that stat. I would venture you're right. I am guilty of going for a hero tee shot and being a bit of a bomb and gouge player. I would say that I hit 55-60% of fir for the season. But that is a spitball guess.

That what happens when we get old :alien:
You just won't hit it long no matter what you try. Distance goes away along with flexibility. Just a fact of life. For every senior golfer I know that I consider "long" I know fifty that are pretty short knockers like me.

You just won't hit it long no matter what you try. Distance goes away along with flexibility. Just a fact of life. For every senior golfer I know that I consider "long" I know fifty that are pretty short knockers like me.

I get this, I was making a man joke at mr Stewarts expense

At soon to be 53, I'm much shorter today than I was at 20 years old with older technology. Much of my flexibility has been lost through surgery(s) to the neck/spine and back. Getting old is not the way to long drives............other than in the car....LOL

At soon to be 53, I'm much shorter today than I was at 20 years old with older technology. Much of my flexibility has been lost through surgery(s) to the neck/spine and back. Getting old is not the way to long drives............other than in the car....LOL

Wait till you hit 66 buddy, short takes on a whole new meaning. :smile:

I am 53 years old and 5'7" I use a X Hot 13.5* HT driver with an A-flex shaft cut to 44" I can hit this driver longer and straighter than I could when it was at 46". I first got it shortened 1" and found it was longer then I got another 1" taken off and it is a bit longer again but much straighter. I then got 1" taken off of my 4 wood and it is straighter and longer than it was before. So for me shortening the shafts was the right thing to do, this game is so much easier when you play it from the fairway.

I have been cutting my drivers down for quite a while now since I am not the tallest person, but I will take control everyday over distance and the fact that I can hit it closer to the face more often gives me good distance anyway. I tried a Burner 2.0 with the stock shaft length for a couple months and it was not pretty. I have shortened fw and hybrids as well....

I'm playing stock length in my Alpha. I have no interest in cutting it down. I'm not as consistent as I'd like, but until I'm totally comfortable with all the swing changes I feel like fixing the arrow before the Indian would be like a dog chasing it's tail. I'm not opposed to shortening later, just for now it's not something I'm prepared to do.

45" tends to be the happy medium for me. Longer and I feel like I have no control yet shorter and I feel I am giving up some distance.

I'm a 44.5 to 44.75" guy. I can play longer into the 46" range, but I obviously lose a little accuracy out there.

I think some over-think the potential distance loss of going with a shorter setup, I see hardly any difference from 45.5" to 44.5" and yes that is likely a credit to finding the middle of the face more for sure.

I'm a 44.5 to 44.75" guy. I can play longer into the 46" range, but I obviously lose a little accuracy out there.

I think some over-think the potential distance loss of going with a shorter setup, I see hardly any difference from 45.5" to 44.5" and yes that is likely a credit to finding the middle of the face more for sure.
Hahaha. Yeah that's me bro, and the fear of messing up a club is part of it too.

Hahaha. Yeah that's me bro, and the fear of messing up a club is part of it too.

We're all different buddy, the between the ears is a powerful thing fo' sho'.

My fitter told me to go an inch longer to give me a little more distance.

I haven't gone shorter yet but can't wait to do so. My driver is stock 46" and I choke down easily close to 2". I've been hitting it much straighter and quite a bit longer due to hitting the sweet spot more often. After some shaft tweeking which I can't wait to do, I'll never play anything over 44.5 again

Is short the way to long?

Alright. I should know this but if I take some off my shafts butt (said with a straight face) I won't change the flex and could always extend it if I don't like it?

Alright. I should know this but if I take some off my shafts butt (said with a straight face) I won't change the flex and could always extend it if I don't like it?

This is correct

Oh Jeebus. I'll shave touch and see what happens

I got fit for the Big Bertha at 44". Note that I'm fairly short (5'7"), but that's still shorter than I've ever played a driver. I picked up 3-4mph of swing speed at that length vs 45" or 44.5". Hitting longer than I ever have.

I play all my clubs an 1" over which i play 1/2 inch short so my driver is only 45" so having it slightly shorter gets me down the middle more which allows a bit more roll out

I'm down to 44 on my Bertha and I've never hit longer tee shots.

Im not sure if it adds distance for me, however, I find that it brings in a world of control for my shots off the tee.

Back