Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 Fairway Woods Review

Such a great looking club. Thanks for the awesome review, Jman.

Full of great info and some great photos.

I do thing this is the best looking metalwood line W/S has put out in a long time - possibly ever. Some things I think they could improve there, namely the size of the hosel and adapter, but in general they did nicely on that end.

Sounds like it's got some performance to back up the looks as well. First thought was that it would be more difficult to work with, and given the size that still may be the case, but I like to hear that it delivered a higher flight with a little tuning.

This one was definitely the surprise out of the M3 line for me. With as demanding as the hybrid could be I expected similar from the fairway but even with the slightly more compact footprint there is a lot in this that I think a lot of golfers would get along with well.

You did smack that thing pretty darn good at Prairie View!

Great review, I agree that the hosel does look larger than I think I would like but if the club performs that would really be a no issue. Looks like Wilson Golf has a winner on their hands with this wood.

Good review, sounds like Wilson Staff really stepped up their game this year.

As always a great,fair review by JMan.That is why I came to THP and stopped looking at other similar sites. Glad W/S has a wood that folks will give a test drive to.The driver is very appealing too. I just wished Wilson Staff would help themselves more with some print advertising. Yes I know that print is going the way of the pay phone but I believe that there is still an age group. Perhaps those with money that will never see the cool stuff Wilson Staff is doing via social media. I found an old Golf Digest from around 2008 the other night and saw a great ad.The product at the time was not to the level of this current line of clubs. Not a marketing guy but not sure how anyone knows this stuff is so good if you don't tell them. And tell them and tell them.

Thanks for the comments everyone

Great review

Wilson Staff seems to have steped up there game this year

Very nice review. I am gaming the M3 driver right now and am very curious about the rest rest of the M3 line. I am a little scared off by the idea that these are more of a "players club". I hit the driver long (for me) and straight, so I may see if I can find a place with these in stock to try out. I also wish Wilson would make the line up more accessible. Somebody helped themselves to my bag holding the adjustment tool and extra weights out of my cart last week and Wilson doesn't even have the tool/weight kit listed as an option for sale.

Thanks for the review James, this was a solid read.

I really like the looks of this with the glossy sole and the matte head. Few other things that I appreciated was the solid stock shaft and weights that are included with initial purchase.

Seems that between the obvious loft settings and the changes you saw with weights affecting club head speed and launch that a golfer could really fine tune this one into exactly what they like to see/feel from a flight perspective.

Again, great job!

Great write up Jman. I really like the way this club looks, and the adjustability of this is immense. Good stuff coming from Wilson Staff.

Great write up Jman. I really like the way this club looks, and the adjustability of this is immense. Good stuff coming from Wilson Staff.

Thanks Jay

JMan, why do you think there is such a difference in the playabilty of the fairway club and driver, versus the hybrid.
I assumed with the know how that came with their product guy formerly with Adams hybrids would have been the no brainer. Is it loft related or a bigger issue.

I'll chime in here.

The fact that the hybrid I tested was 17° in loft is the issue. Weighting in some hybrids makes getting the ball up in the air more difficult in lower lofts. Add in less mass and a smaller head and you're going to get less forgiveness as well.

Nice job James. I know you touched on swapping the weights out in the review, but when you threw the 11g weight in there, did you try upping the loft too?

Very nice review James. Sounds like Wilson put out a winner with this FW. Love the fact you can launch this one straight up.

Heck of a write up dude. Glad to hear that this thing performs. I'm loving what Wilson is doing lately. Really stepping up their game and I hope more and more people start using their stuff.

Very nice review, James.

I really like the look of this FW, especially at address. Wilson has made some very impressive offerings, and I'd like to take a couple swings with this one.

It may be a small point, but I really like that Wilson includes the weight kit with the FW. Nothing is more frustrating than having an adjustable weight for a club that you can only use if you buy the optional weights.

Thank you Hawk.I would be using a higher loft anyway. It goes back on the test list.
I'll chime in here.

The fact that the hybrid I tested was 17° in loft is the issue. Weighting in some hybrids makes getting the ball up in the air more difficult in lower lofts. Add in less mass and a smaller head and you're going to get less forgiveness as well.

Last edited:
I'll chime in here.

The bold is it for me. I actually hit these at a local shop just the other day (one was in the used bin, crazy) and it came back to that.

Nice job James. I know you touched on swapping the weights out in the review, but when you threw the 11g weight in there, did you try upping the loft too?

I did a bit Dean-o, but the difference for me was negligible with the distance change from lofting up, it just worked best for me and what I like to see at 17* with the middle weight.

I will say though, it was pretty dang fun at 5w loft too, especially off the deck, but the overall shaft length became a bit of an issue.

Very nice review, James.

I really like the look of this FW, especially at address. Wilson has made some very impressive offerings, and I'd like to take a couple swings with this one.

It may be a small point, but I really like that Wilson includes the weight kit with the FW. Nothing is more frustrating than having an adjustable weight for a club that you can only use if you buy the optional weights.

I agree Seth, throwing in the full kit is a very big deal to me as well.

Superb review of this club.

This is one that I have REALLY wanted to get my hands on.

Last edited:
Back