The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should try cleaning your clubs. Your ball flight will be noticeably better.

#HereToHelp

I'm not worried about being pretty. No bev carts on the range.....

I'm not worried about being pretty. No bev carts on the range.....

They stop by our range as they make the rounds. #mustbepreparedatalltimes

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

They stop by our range as they make the rounds. #mustbepreparedatalltimes

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Touche.

I never thought about it. Maybe it's my face that's scaring them away... :(

Heading out to a playimg lesson with my golftec coach. Playing 18 at black bear golf club. Never played it before so it should be fun!

Something else that happened unintentionally. I forgot my golf shoes. Only thing I had were some trail runners. It was amazing how much quieter my lower body was during the swing. I felt more in control and in much better tempo.

Heading out to a playimg lesson with my golftec coach. Playing 18 at black bear golf club. Never played it before so it should be fun!

Have fun out there buddy and play well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have fun out there buddy and play well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will see how I play... just had BREAKFAST! Going out to hit the practice green first then warm up on the range

Sorta dreading any hint of indoor practice tonight. I think that's just about run its course. May do 30 minutes of the drills I was told to do.

Amol: you sound exactly like me man. Stop at hips (in mind) is still a complete swing. So easy to accomplish on set practice swing but then not even close on actual swing.

I like this and it is what I used when I started the change- body/hands/arms hit a wall when my shoulders reached their max turn(left under chin) then just release from the top down

Hey guys, take a look at this video, I found it earlier today. The "before" swing in this video is basically exactly what I do, it's why my ballflight is really high with my irons. I'm not sure I can fix my body setup without getting on video, but the drill to feel the arms more connected with the body is something I need to do.

Worked on short game and putting for a couple hours today. Eyes were getting too inside the ball, might explain why I was setting up and starting more left than I wanted. A little mirror work, fixed that pretty quickly, and then beat it into submission.

Wife got off early so it was putting practice in the basement. Worked on staying square, lag putting and keeping a consistent stroke. Tried putting real soft and slow and was getting good. Was doing the 1 2 Dave Pelz count in my head to help. Looking forward to some more short game practice tomorrow and maybe 9 holes.

Not sure where to post this but I coach for a Jr. League at a course near my house. I really want to get some easy beginner drills to start some of these kids out on. I may start my own thread just to draw a little more attention but thought I would start here. Any ideas guys? What are some easy drills I can have these guys do to not only get a little success but develop some confidence. Thanks!

Work backwards from green to tee. Spend some time putting from short to a bit longer. Then give them an iron to chip and pitch around the green with. Hitting driver as hard as you can is fun, but not hitting it wrong and all over the place.

There's something fun IMO about grabbing a wedge and a ball and having a short game contest with a friend. You can see how close you can get it vs having no idea who outdrove who unless it's obvious.

Work backwards from green to tee. Spend some time putting from short to a bit longer. Then give them an iron to chip and pitch around the green with. Hitting driver as hard as you can is fun, but not hitting it wrong and all over the place.

There's something fun IMO about grabbing a wedge and a ball and having a short game contest with a friend. You can see how close you can get it vs having no idea who outdrove who unless it's obvious.

Thanks. We did a little putting competition with the 2 tee drill and also chipping closest to the pin. Kinda tough because we have kids who dont know how to hold the club to kids who can play multiple holes and more

Not sure where to post this but I coach for a Jr. League at a course near my house. I really want to get some easy beginner drills to start some of these kids out on. I may start my own thread just to draw a little more attention but thought I would start here. Any ideas guys? What are some easy drills I can have these guys do to not only get a little success but develop some confidence. Thanks!

I've heard to start with chipping and pitching, with whiffle balls, and set up targets for them to hit. Others may have better ideas. My daughter is almost 4 and the only thing my pro told me is to keep it fun, let her do what she wants on the course so she likes hanging out there and eventually she'll come around and want to hit some balls.

Hit the range this evening after work, really looking to get to work with the SLDR 14* since I cut it down. Also, wanted to spend some time working short game and short irons.

Having a great range session always has me pretty stoked about where my game is, and this was one of those days. While the SLDR isnt my preferred driver of choice, it is the one I am gaming. I took an inch off of it down to 44.5" and this seemed to REALLY help with constant center of the face contact. Misses were still penal, but they were fewer than I have had in the past.

Irons, this is where I am pumped. My short irons were doing exactly what I wanted them to do. Really focusing on ball first contact and getting my swing to where I want it to be with the irons. Coming along quite nicely, although a change in shafts will really help me a ton (happening soon!).

Going to hit the range Friday, and dial it in a bit more, then take it to the Course on Sunday to put it all together.

Thanks. We did a little putting competition with the 2 tee drill and also chipping closest to the pin. Kinda tough because we have kids who dont know how to hold the club to kids who can play multiple holes and more

Short distance though, doesn't need a big swing. Less moving parts the better for a newbie golfer. Grip, well.. Let some kids figure out what they're doing isn't working and ask from you or the people they're playing with why they hold the club that way. Might help?

Hey guys, take a look at this video, I found it earlier today. The "before" swing in this video is basically exactly what I do, it's why my ballflight is really high with my irons. I'm not sure I can fix my body setup without getting on video, but the drill to feel the arms more connected with the body is something I need to do.

It's like we are brothers I have the same issue now when I get handsy with the start of my swing I go too far with the arms, but when I turn with the shoulder I stop at the right point with the arms. The key for me is to feel as if I am driving the left shoulder to a wall that runs straight up from my right knee with a rod connecting both shoulders so they turn as one piece.

I believe you can make the change Ary if you can't get your swing on video working with a mirror is my second favorite thing.

During my playing lesson my golftec coach told me this...
"From now on lets focus on keeping the backswing short, hit the correct spots, then just get after the ball on the downswing. When your backswing gets long and you try to finesse the swing through you get into trouble."

The next few shots I really tried to focus on what feels like 3/4 back swing staying short of parallel (im pretty sure it was still longer than 3/4) and got aggressive through the downswing. Hit some pretty pure shots. Thing to focus on on the range

During my playing lesson my golftec coach told me this...
"From now on lets focus on keeping the backswing short, hit the correct spots, then just get after the ball on the downswing. When your backswing gets long and you try to finesse the swing through you get into trouble."

The next few shots I really tried to focus on what feels like 3/4 back swing staying short of parallel (im pretty sure it was still longer than 3/4) and got aggressive through the downswing. Hit some pretty pure shots. Thing to focus on on the range

KC those words are spoken to true. I have been one to never have a long backswing. People often comment that I'm not flexible and ant get the club back therefore I lose distance. The minute I try to get longer, in creeps the errors and ugly and unwanted shots.

Putt, stretch and gym tonight. 45 minutes putting with a refresher on my lesson last Saturday. There's so many new things to adjust and think about but I know it will become automatic soon. Here's what we focused on:

- Setup closer to the ball with my eyes just a tad below the ball
- Shaft in line with my forearms and putter head not toe up
- A slight forward shaft lean
- Soft hands with a smooth, pendulum-like stroke (inside - Down-the-line)
- Match the takeaway with the follow thru
- Keep my head down thru the putt

Fun stuff, huh? I have to make this change as short game is critical for shooting lower scores. Back to the range tomorrow night! #theGauntlet

For my second practice session today I worked on putting. Recently I've felt I haven't been starting the ball on my intended line and therefore missing putts. Well lone behold my set up hD my eyes focused way inside of the ball. I quickly made a few adjustments and my stroke and roll looked improved. I intend to hit the range again in the morning and work on some putting drills.

Putt, stretch and gym tonight. 45 minutes putting with a refresher on my lesson last Saturday. There's so many new things to adjust and think about but I know it will become automatic soon. Here's what we focused on:

- Setup closer to the ball with my eyes just a tad below the ball
- Shaft in line with my forearms and putter head not toe up
- A slight forward shaft lean
- Soft hands with a smooth, pendulum-like stroke (inside - Down-the-line)
- Match the takeaway with the follow thru
- Keep my head down thru the putt

Fun stuff, huh? I have to make this change as short game is critical for shooting lower scores. Back to the range tomorrow night! #theGauntlet

Great stuff spent close 1.5 hrs working on this afternoon.

I went to the range today to do some work since we had some rain moving into the area and I could hit from the covered bays and that is what I did. I worked on tempo and making a proper shoulder turn and weight transfer and simply relaxing and firing through the ball.

A couple things jumped out to me from my session-- when I lay off on a club I always catch it a tad thin because I come out of the swing(stand up a fraction)-- when I get handsy with the take away my arms go too far back this causes me to hit the high ball I dread-- I didn't use impact tape just a dirty club and I cleaned an area just barely bigger than a nickel with 10 balls my ball striking is almost phenomenal IMO-- driver still needs some work but its coming along

I also spoke with my coach about Sundays PB round, and swapping out shafts in 3wd and hybo. The conversations about my round was fun and he is quite happy that it happened and everything click so soon in the year and the talk turned to how he believes now more so than before I can get even lower than the 82 I posted.

Experiment
I also got to do a fun little experiment on the LM today as he had a fitting schedule and everything was set up so I hopped on the LM and hit 3 different Iron heads the Titleist CB, AP2 and AP1 all different shafts(xp95, s300) and different lengths I made 5 swings with each and my club head speed changed which effected ball speed, distance but the thing that stayed the same the numbers I was producing were optimal or less than 10% from being optimal based on the club head speed I produced. My coach cleared the data and left I grabbed the MB with X100 and standard length hit 3 balls and then AP2 with 110 recoil in X and once again I was posting darn near optimal numbers for the SS speed I was posting with each club.

Results

I create more SS with a heavier shaft 5mph difference between 95g and the heavier 110g-130g shafts. With out doing it intentionally I adjusted my swing speed for the different shafts weight and flex. I know it was a small sample size and different heads were attached to different shafts but the recoil just barely beat out the X100 in carry and total distance LA and spin rates were close(the X100 was 1/2in shorter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back