Ben Crenshaw on Pinehurst #2

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
That was incredible, there were so many things he said that blew me away. It can play up to 7500 yds with only 2 par fives? and the stuff lol, this is going to be a great US open. Thanks for sharing this I've always been a Crenshaw golf fan and now I'm anxious to see this redesign beauty on tv.

Alex on the MIC!

"nod to the past" love it

I'm a big Crenshaw fan, from his playing days to his design career. The pictures of Pinehurst really remind me of a particular course in the PNW he designed. It's somewhat apparent the PNW course was influenced by Pinehurst. Over and above all that, the interview is great. Thanks for sharing!

There are quite a few Ross courses near me. This is really cool

"recoverable lie" sounds different. I like it.

Listening now. Dream of mine to play Sand Hills. Obviously Pinehurst as well.

• Admin
The passion is there and that is what I love to hear in these.

Listening now. Dream of mine to play Sand Hills. Obviously Pinehurst as well.

I would do a lot of things to play Sand Hills. It's in my top 2.

I cannot wait for this year's US Open. Coore and Crenshaw are my favorite current designers of courses, and I love the trend of taking courses in that area back to what they used to look like with the waste areas replacing the rough. Mid Pines also did the same thing in the past couple of years. I hope the trend of going more "natural" in courses with reduced watering becomes more popular after seeing Pinehurst #2 over the next 2 weeks. I'll be interested in listening to this one soon.

The passion is there and that is what I love to hear in these.

Totally is. He speaks very vividly as well which is awesome.

529 yard par 4 - nuts.

uh oh. He said creative. BUBBA FTW!

Gmac getting the nod from Ben!

I love his admiration for Ross and the history of the game and design, He is so underrated as a golfer it's not funny.

Crenshaw always oozes passion when talking anything related to golf. He has always been my favorite.

That's the first thing I thought was Bubba with his crazy shots.

Me too. It'll be interesting. That is for sure.

This was a phenomenal listen and extremely enlightening.

7500 yards with only 2 par 5's?!?! Are you effin kidding me?

Wow, this just really amped me up for both the men then ladies visiting the course this year. Long and accurate will be a premium this year....AS? DJ? Very interesting for sure.

Listening to this now and it's just so cool to hear Crenshaw's absolute reverence for the history of the game, and the way he thinks about the design of Pinehurst forcing the best golfers to create so many different shots...and it's going to be a bear at 7500.

Such a great listen. Really love the passion he shows. Really interesting to hear what they've done to the course and how it's going to set up. Going to be fun to watch.

Loving the podcast so far. About halfway through, to say I learned a little bit about course design and how the US Open will play his year is an understatement

I've always enjoyed Crenshaw and his commentary, he sure seems like someone that would be fun to just yack it up for a while with.

Very cool interview. I love the fact this US Open is going to be without that nasty penal rough that sometimes turns the US Open into a golf version of The Hunger Games where people are just trying to hang on and survive for 72 holes. If I wanted to watch a bunch of terrible play and frustrating bogeys, I would just film one of my rounds and watch it. The length and tricky green complexes will keep the scores from going crazy low, but will still let the field be able to score and show off their talents.

Personally, I hope the field puts on a great show and the USGA is uncomfortable for all 4 days.

Back