XXIO8 Hybrid Preview from XXIO

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The XXIO series, a popular favorite among a wide range of golfers, has been number one in annual sales for 14 consecutive years in Japan since it first debuted in 2000. Meanwhile, Sakura Yokomine, Rui Kitada, and other professional golfers have scored numerous tour victories playing with XXIO clubs.

Taking the evolution of high and strong trajectories to the maximum, the XXIO8 utility hybrid features a MP800 carbon shaft with a new rigidity design that allows the club tip to flex more fully for a higher launch angle. The CG distance on the club face is also shorter than the previous XXIO model, making the head to return square at impact. These improvements work synergistically for easier return of the head to square at impact.

The XXIO8 hybrid's sweet spot has been generously expanded to match golfer's hitting point and the new face thickness design is individually customed for each loft to match the golfer's hitting point, extending the thin portion to the upper toe and lower heel areas to create a larger sweet spot and higher ball speed than the previous model.

Key Features of the XXIO8 Utility Clubs
1. New Dual Speed Technology takes maximum advantage of the golfer's power Dunlop Sports' exclusive Dual Speed Technology featured in XXIO7 to take maximum advantage of the golfer's power has been further improved, to achieve both higher head speed and higher ball speed.

1.1 Higher head speed technology
Reduce swing MOI3 to increase head speed The grip has been made 3g lighter and the shaft 1g lighter than the previous model, resulting in a club that is 4g lighter overall. The shaft's center of gravity (CG) has also been moved 10mm closer to the grip to achieve a synergistic effect, decreasing swing MOI and increasing head speed. 3 Swing MOI = the moment of inertia on rotational motion centered at the shoulder

1.2 Higher ball speed technology
Thinner face for higher ball speeds Open-face construction allows the face to be made thinner, for a significant improvement in repulsion performance. This results in higher ball speeds.

Reduced power loss on miss-hits means higher average ball speeds The sweet spot has been expanded to match target golfers' strike points, resulting in higher average ball

2. XXIO technology
Meticulously formed to help you go for the green with the feel of an iron The face edge of the crown is raised to form a top blade, and a slight gooseneck incorporated, improving directional control to help you go for the green with the feel of an iron.

XXIO8 Utility Clubs—Overview
Specifications
Head materials Face: Maraging steel
Body: Maraging steel with tungsten-nickel weight
Construction Face: Forged Body: Lost wax precision casting Finish High-gloss metallic blue-purple gradation polarized coating (partially finished as color-clear coating) with mirror, ceramic-shot, and laser finish
Badge: Navy

XXIO8-hybrid-specs.jpg

XXIO8%20HYB%20Hero%20D-M.jpg

Looks beautiful to me! I'd love to see it at address.

Cool looking club and features. Maybe I'll go to their website and see if any where around here distributes their clubs.

hmm....high launch, higher head speed, higher ball speed

#YESPLEASE

I can;t wait for some in hand pics, but man I am liking what I am seeing and hearing so far.

I like the sounds of it. I find it interesting that the CC volume decreases as the loft goes up. Not a good or bad thing, but just something I picked up on from the spec sheet.

I like the sounds of it. I find it interesting that the CC volume decreases as the loft goes up. Not a good or bad thing, but just something I picked up on from the spec sheet.

More iron like ?

Certainly sounds like a great club. A d0 swing weight in a hybrid? interesting...

I think that is what the modern consumer is demanding right? With all of these split sets, and such. They want smaller as the lofts go up. Altitude irons are a good example of that I think.

I think that is what the modern consumer is demanding right? With all of these split sets, and such. They want smaller as the lofts go up. Altitude irons are a good example of that I think.

I tried to look up some other hybrids but so far only see TM's CC listing on theirs. Their CC is actually the smallest for the SLDRs 3H(120 CC), and the rest at 125 CC. For the SLDR line it was similar, the 2H was the smallest and it went up slightly as you go up in loft. Not saying one way is better than the other.

hmm....high launch, higher head speed, higher ball speed

#YESPLEASE

I hate those things! :D

Having seen the driver, and now this, I can't wait to learn new about this brand.

I tried to look up some other hybrids but so far only see TM's CC listing on theirs. Their CC is actually the smallest for the SLDRs 3H(120 CC), and the rest at 125 CC. For the SLDR line it was similar, the 2H was the smallest and it went up slightly as you go up in loft. Not saying one way is better than the other.

That is interesting and I think telling with who is buying the 2H vs the others. Similar to how in some lines the 2H is only offered in the Pro series, which is also usually smaller.

Nice looking hybrid. It just looks clean and sharp all the way through

That is interesting and I think telling with who is buying the 2H vs the others. Similar to how in some lines the 2H is only offered in the Pro series, which is also usually smaller.

agreed just something I picked up on.
Looking at Bridgestone, they have a similar structure to their hybrids. 119cc for the 2H down to 110cc for the 4h. Having spent a lot of time with the J40 line, 111cc for the 5 Hybrid doesn't seem like it would be as small as I originally thought. Either way I think I would enjoy that 5H.

Bridgestone does this as well. 2h is 119cc, 3h is 115cc, and 4h is 110cc. I do think this helps transition better from fairways into irons.

agreed just something I picked up on.
Looking at Bridgestone, they have a similar structure to their hybrids. 119cc for the 2H down to 110cc for the 4h. Having spent a lot of time with the J40 line, 111cc for the 5 Hybrid doesn't seem like it would be as small as I originally thought. Either way I think I would enjoy that 5H.

Great minds, and all that jazz. I'm also very curious about this 5h. I've hit one before in my Adams set and really did like the added forgiveness and launch characteristics.

High end stuff with the maraging steel. Hopefully we get to see these in person this year.

Intresting looks to me to have a bit more offset then i prefer

Good looking club, love me a good hybrid.

Seems that the length is a bit shorter than we're accustomed to here. If I'm right about that, I like it.

That is one gorgeous looking club.

You could even say its "Zexy" !

Found this overview of the full XXIO line--good stuff!

This does look pretty sweet!

Club looks great and seems to be packed with technology. Looking forward to hearing some reviews.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Club looks great and seems to be packed with technology. Looking forward to hearing some reviews.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Packed is the right word.

Back