The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

Lots of great convo in here. I set my year up where I front loaded a ton of practice in the winter months, practicing probably 5 days a week because I knew once my daughter was born, practicing was really going to be based around her schedule. That's exactly what has happened and I am sure glad I put in a bunch of work early on in the winter. It's now just been focusing on short game and maintaining the swing that I have built. Some days are better then others, but the consistency is beginning to build up and the scores are starting to trend down a bit.

When it comes to taking breaks, you'd be so surprised what 2 or 3 days away from the course/range can do for you. For me, I love the rejuvenation that I get from those little breaks. They are forced now, (like this past weekend) more than they are voluntary, but I still think it is great to step away from the game for a few days every so often. You can become burnt out very quick if you don't.

Andrew Rice posted this on twitter yesterday, and it is so true and relate-able, especially for guys on THP lucky enough to compete in these competition events.

I'm the opposite. I hate taking ANY days off. I need a bucket a day to feel comfortable

I'm really fighting myself right now. Pretty much all over the map. Really need some buckets.

I'm really fighting myself right now. Pretty much all over the map. Really need some buckets.

Then we need to tee it up. You kick my butt, and your confidence will come back. Problem solved.

I'm constantly thinking about my game. Misses that I have had and good shots I have had. I think about the feelings wrapped around those swings, my mood, my state of mind.

I've been replaying holes from last year on my head and remembering feelings I had. I play once a week and work in short game once a week. I guess I'm in a different boat, I never get too far away from my game so I don't have to beat balls all the time. And when I do practice I do so with a purpose as to not waste a great deal of energy.

I'm in my play mode leading up to the Cup. Different courses with a good friend of mine that pushes me with our usual bets. I'll see my pro one last time and then we will be in MB. I am confident my best will be in my back pocket

I know everyone who was chosen for this journey is putting in effort to show up in Myrtle and be a force to be reckoned with. After I got picked in November I was adamant to be a better golfer. At Ultimate Testing in January I did OK, but playing golf with good players like TroutBum and Mward, I didn't feel like my current swing was going to help me go lower so I made the choice to rebuild. A lesson from Tadashi while in Florida solidified my need to fix some things wrong with my swing. I have been working with a new coach who shares in the same views as Freddie and to be honest, its been hard. I watched as my handicap started rising but I knew it was for the best. I know that many have talked about "peaking" at the right time. I wondered if I was going to be one of those people.

To get out of my comfort zone, I started playing in local matches with better players. I entered a match play tourney and did OK but not well enough. I get working. I haven't given up even though my handicap kept going up. I decided to push myself by entering more tournaments. I kept plugging away and I feel like my swing is finally taking shape. I went from hitting hooks and pulls to hitting a fade which I have never done before. Its so funny watching small changes start to have an effect. After the Love is in the Air tournament I came home and worked harder. Suddenly, it started to click. My driving is 100% better. My irons and wedges are stronger. My short game is improving. In the last 2 weeks my scores have been in the 72-76 range. I was optimistic.

Fast forward to this weekend. I entered the Chandler City Championship. Approx. 100 players were entered and we played at 2 higher end and tougher courses. Yesterday, I shot a 78 which was in spite of a triple bogey on a shorter par 3 and a few other flubbed shots. I had an eagle on a mid length par 5. My net was even par.

Today I started off slow. Maybe I was run down from playing in 110* heat but I started the first 3 holes +4. The old me would have let frustatrion and angst take over. I committed myself to finishing strong and played the last 15 in -1, including a stretch on 15-16-17 where I went birdie, birdie, eagle. A double on 18 reminded me I have work to do, but I still finished at 75. All areas of my game are better and my swing is the best its ever been. I still have work to do, but its June 8, I have a few weeks left and I KNOW that when I get to Myrtle I will be the best golfer I have ever been.

All the work has been frustrating, but the Morgan Cup gave me the motivation to do it. Freddy has been so supportive and helpful. My teammates on Dot Com have been there as well. Captain Ward especially with his delightful mix of insults and anger.

We all have a journey that we have total control over. I am upset I haven't made the changes in my life I promised with regards to my weight and I haven't given them up. That doesn't mean I haven't tried, it just means I have more work to do.

See you all in July. I'm not giving any of you an inch.

I had about 15 days of "rest" because of a little surgery, and it really killed me to be off that long. Since being cleared to play again, I've played 9 out of 10 straight days, not necessarily because I wanted to, but, because of commitments. It turns out that didn't work out so well. About mid way through, a vertebrae in my neck has moved, pinching a nerve and causing pain down my neck through the left shoulder blade. I played our Member/Guest tournament over the passed four days with what feels like an ice pick in that shoulder. Now, I cannot get into any position that relieves that pain. Instead of having my weekly lesson tomorrow and resuming range work, I'll be visiting a chiropractor several days this week in an effort to be ready for the SeeMore Event next weekend.

I post all this just to emphasize that taking a day or so rest now and then can certainly be more beneficial than over doing the work and ending up being forced to do so. I've been through this before, so, I'm not overly worried. It just irks me that it's another week or preparation lost, when there is so little time left.

Man Ken seems like you can't get a break, I hope you feel better soon buddy.

The break did me some good, I was able to hit a few solid shots today and I know he weak spot is between 100 and 130 yds.
The changes are working.

I know everyone who was chosen for this journey is putting in effort to show up in Myrtle and be a force to be reckoned with. After I got picked in November I was adamant to be a better golfer. At Ultimate Testing in January I did OK, but playing golf with good players like TroutBum and Mward, I didn't feel like my current swing was going to help me go lower so I made the choice to rebuild. A lesson from Tadashi while in Florida solidified my need to fix some things wrong with my swing. I have been working with a new coach who shares in the same views as Freddie and to be honest, its been hard. I watched as my handicap started rising but I knew it was for the best. I know that many have talked about "peaking" at the right time. I wondered if I was going to be one of those people.

To get out of my comfort zone, I started playing in local matches with better players. I entered a match play tourney and did OK but not well enough. I get working. I haven't given up even though my handicap kept going up. I decided to push myself by entering more tournaments. I kept plugging away and I feel like my swing is finally taking shape. I went from hitting hooks and pulls to hitting a fade which I have never done before. Its so funny watching small changes start to have an effect. After the Love is in the Air tournament I came home and worked harder. Suddenly, it started to click. My driving is 100% better. My irons and wedges are stronger. My short game is improving. In the last 2 weeks my scores have been in the 72-76 range. I was optimistic.

Fast forward to this weekend. I entered the Chandler City Championship. Approx. 100 players were entered and we played at 2 higher end and tougher courses. Yesterday, I shot a 78 which was in spite of a triple bogey on a shorter par 3 and a few other flubbed shots. I had an eagle on a mid length par 5. My net was even par.

Today I started off slow. Maybe I was run down from playing in 110* heat but I started the first 3 holes +4. The old me would have let frustatrion and angst take over. I committed myself to finishing strong and played the last 15 in -1, including a stretch on 15-16-17 where I went birdie, birdie, eagle. A double on 18 reminded me I have work to do, but I still finished at 75. All areas of my game are better and my swing is the best its ever been. I still have work to do, but its June 8, I have a few weeks left and I KNOW that when I get to Myrtle I will be the best golfer I have ever been.

All the work has been frustrating, but the Morgan Cup gave me the motivation to do it. Freddy has been so supportive and helpful. My teammates on Dot Com have been there as well. Captain Ward especially with his delightful mix of insults and anger.

We all have a journey that we have total control over. I am upset I haven't made the changes in my life I promised with regards to my weight and I haven't given them up. That doesn't mean I haven't tried, it just means I have more work to do.

I'm gonna put you in the spot light. I saw your game last year while in Vegas and was impressed. I said to myself this guy can play if he tightened the swing. In January I saw some really good action and knee you would be a force come July. Watching you hit balls during our lesson really made me think about what was in store for you.

Know that you have kept with the tips and improved is such a high for me because I'm a fan of potential realized. I know whom ever you face is in for a handful shot making. Well done David, keep it up!

That is what this event is all about to me: knowing what you have to do to get better, making the commitment to get better, sticking to it, and reaping the benefits of all the hard work. Well done, man.

I'm the opposite. I hate taking ANY days off. I need a bucket a day to feel comfortable

Now in June I'm aiming to play as often as I can, then in July our daycare is closed and I'm aiming to play 2-3 times a week and practice 1-3 times a week. Short game and putting.

Lots of talk about this event over the weekend. It will be here before we know it. It has been really fun watching the work that has been put into the event and how far so many have come along the way. There will be some terrific golf played in July with some very close matches that will likely have the fate of the MC hanging in the balance.

Now in June I'm aiming to play as often as I can, then in July our daycare is closed and I'm aiming to play 2-3 times a week and practice 1-3 times a week. Short game and putting.

Good plan broski. I'm trying to get out today. It will be the first day I can play two in a row.

I Played both courses yesterday and man what a rush it was when I got out to the practice tee at True Blue. I was reminded quickly of what it was like when all the players were assembled with bags, smiles, and excitement, and couldn't help but to imagine what it will look like with 40 of us lined up behind our bags knowing that this is the greatest stage almost all of us will ever be on. The courses are in really good shape and the staff is excited to see us again. Caledonia was in spectacular form with the flowers blooming behind hole making for great relaxing visuals, the gators were lurking hoping someone reaches for a wet ball and the sand was just hoping for a pull or a pushed shot, simply perfect!

I Played both courses yesterday and man what a rush it was when I got out to the practice tee at True Blue. I was reminded quickly of what it was like when all the players were assembled with bags, smiles, and excitement, and couldn't help but to imagine what it will look like with 40 of us lined up behind our bags knowing that this is the greatest stage almost all of us will ever be on. The courses are in really good shape and the staff is excited to see us again. Caledonia was in spectacular form with the flowers blooming behind hole making for great relaxing visuals, the gators were lurking hoping someone reaches for a wet ball and the sand was just hoping for a pull or a pushed shot, simply perfect!

Such a pretty place. That's on of the reasons I love playing practice rounds so much. You really get to enjoy it

I saw some of your pics on Instagram, just puts a smile on my face thinking about the past and whats coming up.

Thanks for posting all the pictures yesterday...glad you had a great day.

That recap right there just got the juices flowing for a newbie that will be seeing these courses for the 1st time come July. I can't even count how many times I've caught myself viewing the course flyovers dreaming of how to play shots, while avoiding those gators. July will be here before we know it.

That recap right there just got the juices flowing for a newbie that will be seeing these courses for the 1st time come July. I can't even count how many times I've caught myself viewing the course flyovers dreaming of how to play shots, while avoiding those gators. July will be here before we know it.

It really will be here before we know it, it's getting ready to get amazing! Can't wait to meet you dude.

It really will be here before we know it, it's getting ready to get amazing! Can't wait to meet you dude.

That it is...glad to know I met you already in HH. :alien: but then again you meet so many people in a 48hr period it's hard to remember.

That it is...glad to know I met you already in HH. :alien: but then again you meet so many people in a 48hr period it's hard to remember.

Haha, I can't remember anything lol. I'm Sorry about that.

This event is sneaking up on us so fast! I was looking through some stuff on my twitter page and saw the selection video I posted in December. So much has happened since then and I can't wait for the event to be here!

I shared with my team how I challenged myself yesterday and played in a state tournament at a local country club. Course was set up difficult, it was wet, the rough was thick, and the greens were still fast. Just to give you an image on the course, think the tree lined course of Caledonia with the multi tiered greens of True Blue. Anyway, stepping out of the comfort of playing with friends, this gave me a good look at my game. Did everything go smoothly? Did I shoot a personal best or set the course on fire, hell no. Why would I pretend that I did? I know what needs to be done, I saw what was working and what wasn't. I saw first hand out game management can save a round and how poor course management can't be detrimental. Playing in a county tournament on Friday on a course that will play just under 7000 yards. I don't expect to score well, but I am going in with things I know I need to keep focus on. I stepped out of the comfort zone, took a right cross to the chin, but I'm still standing and ready to fight on.

Last edited:
Way to take your game to other venues DDEC and get a taste of the competition.

You stand, you know what needs done and we all know what you will do in just a few more weeks in MB

Focused Ddec would be tough for his opponents to face. Good luck buddy.

I shared with my team how I challenged myself yesterday and played in a state tournament at a local country club. Course was set up difficult, it was wet, the rough was thick, and the greens were still fast. Just to give you an image on the course, think the tree lined course of Caledonia with the multi tiered greens of True Blue. Anyway, stepping out of the comfort of playing with friends, this gave me a good look at my game. Did everything go smoothly? Did I shoot a personal best or set the course on fire, hell no. Why would I pretend that it did? I know what needs to be done, I saw what was working and what wasn't. I saw first hand out game management can save a round and how poor course management can't be detrimental. Playing in a county tournament on Friday on a course that will play just under 7000 yards. I don't expect to score well, but I am going in with things I know I need to keep focus on. I stepped out of the comfort zone, took a right cross to the chin, but I'm still standing and ready to fight on.

This awesome! This is how you get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back