2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a different kind of fitness though Hawk

I used to play 5-a-side football and one week we were short of a player so I invited my sisters (now ex-)husband to play - he cycled about 60-70 miles every week and thought it would be easy, but after 15 minutes you would think he had never exercised in his life he was struggling that much

Afterwards he said he had never expected it to be so tough, so maybe you just need to get used to the change of exercise

So so so so true. Lungs stay - everything else has to be built.

Anyone here have any experience with stronglifts?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It is a very good simple workout. A very good base program. I have a few problems with it, for what I am trying to achieve. There are no true explosive lifts, like a clean or a snatch variation. Also, there is no vertical pull option, I feel like mixing in some pull ups is smart. Because of the lack of pulls or I feel like an incline bench press would be smarter than a flat bench. It's not a bad program, it's actually really good. I just want some more dynamic movements in my routines.

It is a very good simple workout. A very good base program. I have a few problems with it, for what I am trying to achieve. There are no true explosive lifts, like a clean or a snatch variation. Also, there is no vertical pull option, I feel like mixing in some pull ups is smart. Because of the lack of pulls or I feel like an incline bench press would be smarter than a flat bench. It's not a bad program, it's actually really good. I just want some more dynamic movements in my routines.
Trying to switch it up and wonder how it is. Seems like fatigue could settle with squats everyday. I do see variations with pull ups and push ups in there. Looking to work that in with some Cardio. Should be interesting.

Also trying to keep my workouts under an hour.

So so so so true. Lungs stay - everything else has to be built.

At the moment, I feel like disagreeing with that statement.....my lungs certainly felt it when I went for a run last week..... :beat-up:

Although in my defence, I hadn't been for a run for quite a while so pretty much everything had gone!

I ordered Joey D golf yesterday.

Trying to switch it up and wonder how it is. Seems like fatigue could settle with squats everyday. I do see variations with pull ups and push ups in there. Looking to work that in with some Cardio. Should be interesting.

Also trying to keep my workouts under an hour.

well, it's squats every session, but the sessions are not supposed to be done everyday. This is what I am currently doing for a program:

Week 1:
Day 1 (Workout A):
Power Clean 3x2; 2x1 (90 seconds of rest between sets)
Incline Barbell bench 5x3 (90 seconds of rest between sets)
Pull Ups – 4 sets 1 rep before failure (30 seconds of rest)
12 minutes of high intensity interval training

Day 2 (Workout B):
Squats 5x3 (120 seconds of rest)
Rack Dead Lift 1x6

Day 3 (Workout C):
Snatch Grip High Pull 5x5 (90 seconds of rest)
Barbell Overhead Press 4x4 (90 seconds of rest)
Bent Over Barbell Rows 3x6 (90 seconds of rest)

Week 2:
Day 1 (Workout D):
Barbell Dead Lifts 3x3; 2x2 (120 seconds of rest)
Dumbbell Farmers Walk 3x30seconds (75 seconds of rest)

Day 2 (Workout A):
Power Clean 3x2; 2x1 (90 seconds of rest between sets)
Incline Barbell bench 5x3 (90 seconds of rest between sets)
Pull Ups – 4 sets 1 rep before failure (30 seconds of rest)

Day 3 (Workout B):
Squats 5x3 (120 seconds of rest)
Rack Dead Lift 1x6

Week One
ABC

Week Two
DAB

Week three
CDA

Week Four
BCD

I am in and out of the gym in an hour. Now, that isn't the routine I would recommend for everybody, especially the rep structure. But I feel that it is very important to work in a dynamic lift and pushing and pull in all planes. The stronglifts program is very similar and not a bad program it just doesn't cover the areas I need to cover.

Workout done! I could definitely tell that I was a bit more sluggish than usual, and had to stop a few times to cough, but I got it done and I am very happy about that. Another T25/yoga complete.

GG = Trooper

Thanks, guys! I am really determined to stick with it this time, and so far I am still really enjoying it which is the biggest hurdle for me.

I am doing things so much differently this time around. The biggest difference is taking pride out of the equation and allowing myself to do the modified version of some workouts if I need to. I have learned that if I modify today, I can still work out tomorrow, and if I don't modify today, then I am probably not working out for 3 days because my body was pushed too hard.

I remember the first time I tried P90X. I did it at the hardest level, thought I was going to die, hurt my elbow and never went back. I don't want to do that again.

Question for anyone with a home gym setup. Do you have a recommendation of what to use over carpet? I saw thee two options below, but the company is giving me conflicting information. A blog article from them says the tiles are the best option, but when I did the live chat they told me the mat is the best option and the tiles might ruin the carpet.

My plan is to turn the sitting area in our master bedroom into my workout studio, so I want to put down some solid flooring that I can do both T25 and yoga on. Any suggestions?

http://www.greatmats.com/products/workout-mats.php

http://www.greatmats.com/products/staylock-modular-floor-tile.php

I'm not sure how the tiles could ruin the carpet to be honest. It would lay it flat for sure like when you put a piece of furniture over it but it shouldn't damage it. I bet if once removed, you could steam clean it and probably bring a lot of it back into shape.

In our workout room we have a big rollout mat like you posted just thinner, it's not quite so heavy duty (think its just less quality). Its almost like a yoga mat sort of thing but it works fine. I'll try to find exactly what we have but Ill add I don't do a ton of stuff on the ground (mostly machines / benches and standing stuff so the thicker stuff for you would probably be better and more comfortable

Amazon had a deal on the tiles so I bought 2 packs of 10. Should give me a 5x4 or 4x5 space. I am not sure if that will be enough, but I will start there and I can always add more if necessary.

I like the mat, but I fear it will move around too much. There's a lot of jumping involved with T25.

Question for anyone with a home gym setup. Do you have a recommendation of what to use over carpet? I saw thee two options below, but the company is giving me conflicting information. A blog article from them says the tiles are the best option, but when I did the live chat they told me the mat is the best option and the tiles might ruin the carpet.

My plan is to turn the sitting area in our master bedroom into my workout studio, so I want to put down some solid flooring that I can do both T25 and yoga on. Any suggestions?

http://www.greatmats.com/products/workout-mats.php

http://www.greatmats.com/products/staylock-modular-floor-tile.php

If you go to a tractor supply or place like that you can horse tack mats. Similar to gym floor mats but at a fraction of the cost.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...ory_rn=&top_category=&urlLangId=&cm_vc=-10005

well, it's squats every session, but the sessions are not supposed to be done everyday. This is what I am currently doing for a program:

I am in and out of the gym in an hour. Now, that isn't the routine I would recommend for everybody, especially the rep structure. But I feel that it is very important to work in a dynamic lift and pushing and pull in all planes. The stronglifts program is very similar and not a bad program it just doesn't cover the areas I need to cover.
Just curious, why inclined bench over flat?

Just curious, why inclined bench over flat?

Great question. Yes it is a lower weight lift but it is easier on your shoulders.

Great question. Yes it is a lower weight lift but it is easier on your shoulders.

The question wasn't directed to me but I think incline has a lot more translation to everyday life than flat plus the distribution of effort is more evenly distributed among chest and shoulders thus getting more bang for the buck.

The question wasn't directed to me but I think incline has a lot more translation to everyday life than flat plus the distribution of effort is more evenly distributed among chest and shoulders thus getting more bang for the buck.

There seems to be a love affair with the flat bench. There is so such little room for error. Injury is very easy with a flat bench.

Two things stand out for me with the flat bench.

1) if you put a bench in a power rack, you can fail a lift and set the bar onto the rungs safely.

2) in your everyday life, if you're ever caught on your back trying to push weight off of you, you've already done something wrong.

2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

There seems to be a love affair with the flat bench. There is so such little room for error. Injury is very easy with a flat bench.

Two things stand out for me with the flat bench.

1) if you put a bench in a power rack, you can fail a lift and set the bar onto the rungs safely.

2) in your everyday life, if you're ever caught on your back trying to push weight off of you, you've already done something wrong.

These are both very true.

And other muscles are engaged

Incline always seems like a safer and more efficient lift compared tithe flat. But since nobody asks "how much do you incline bench" it gets ignored.

I will stick to my incline work.

Speed workout last night:
1 mile jog then
8x 200m (7:30 pace), 200m (11:00 pace)
1 mile jog

Right now my PR 5k is 28:10 on hard course. Shooting for 27:30 at some point this summer. For me it isn't about air, it is more about muscle fatigue and I think my increase is Crossfit hopefully will help with that. I may register for a 5k on the 22nd that some people in my running group are doing. It is supposed to be a fast course.

Also does anyone have any tips for double unders? God I suck at them.

Speed workout last night:
1 mile jog then
8x 200m (7:30 pace), 200m (11:00 pace)
1 mile jog

Right now my PR 5k is 28:10 on hard course. Shooting for 27:30 at some point this summer. For me it isn't about air, it is more about muscle fatigue and I think my increase is Crossfit hopefully will help with that. I may register for a 5k on the 22nd that some people in my running group are doing. It is supposed to be a fast course.

Also does anyone have any tips for double unders? God I suck at them.

1 mile jog? Was somebody chasing you? That's the only way I'm jogging. hehe.

1 mile jog? Was somebody chasing you? That's the only way I'm jogging. hehe.
Ha no just warming up. I hadn't ran in a week or so more than warming at crossfit plus I was sore from the day before. It felt good to really let it fly on fast intervals. Relative to some of the better distance runners in my group, I am one of the better sprinters as I have quick turnover and bigger legs and can chug through short distances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back