darnall

Reaction score
Handicap
Did anybody watch the show special on GC about Payne Stewart last night? I thought it was very well done and a great tribute on the 15th anniversary of his US Open win at Pinehurst.

I may be a bit biased considering I am from the same area he grew up. In fact I lived in Springfield, MO when his accident happened in 1999. The owner of the company I worked for at the time was a member at Hickory Hills (Paynes home course growing up) and I will never forget how heartbroken he was that day and for weeks afterward. One of my co-workers was a former club pro at Millwood and he walked around in a funk for months after the tragedy. Anybody in the Springfield area who was at all involved in the game of golf felt like Payne was their own son, brother or good friend. As he matured and became such a force on the tour the collective chest of the Ozarks continued to swell every time he won.

I would love to see 2 things happen at Pinehurst this week, 15 years after Paynes win....

1) I would love to see several, or at least one player wear a pair of knickers and a Payne style hat in his honor....

2) I would love to see a player in that outfit win the thing, but even better would be if Phil could win it after losing by one shot to Payne at Pinehurst in 1999 and being the bridesmaid so many times since. How storybook would that be after the famous interaction between the 2 on the 18th green on Sunday in 1999.

watched it, thought it was excellent, very emotional

Went to bed about halfway through since I know it'll be shown a bunch more times, but I enjoyed what I saw.

I didnt get to but it is DVRed for later. Glad it was well done.

Went to bed about halfway through since I know it'll be shown a bunch more times, but I enjoyed what I saw.

Same here, watched it on DVR last night but only made it half way through, so far so good.

I passed out halfway through it. I woke up around 230 this morning and it was on again. I DVR'd it so I can actually watch the entire thing.

I forgot to set the DVR, I hope to catch it later.

Not yet. Need to record it.

Definitely enjoyed it very much. It was nice to see his transition and how he matured through the years. Some emotional moments in there no doubt. I was only 11 when he died but I remember watching him on TV with my dad and he just always had me interested which wasn't easy because of a guy named Tiger dominating.

I caught the last half hour. I have it DVR'd but really enjoyed the final 30 minutes. Will watch from the start soon. I was too young to remember him playing, so I'm excited to watch it again

watched it, thought it was excellent, very emotional

Yeah, some dust blew through the room towards the end when I was watching. Great show.

I watched it and loved it. I used to root against him and said some pretty harsh things back then i wish i could take back. My words were a little salty last night, he was the real deal.

Yeah lots of allergies this time of year, so watch with a Kleenex.
I was good until Paul Azinger tucked his pants into the socks to make knickers at the service..

I was good until Paul Azinger tucked his pants into the socks to make knickers at the service..

Seriously the exact same thing happened to me during that scene. It was awesome to see tho

it was very good i think it showed how he lived not just how he golfed

Yep.....my allergies kicked in about that time too

Yep.....my allergies kicked in about that time too

Man there must be a few less down in Houston, mine started right after Payne won in 99 and told Phil, "Youre gonna be a dad." Just a great reminder of whats really important in life!

I DVR'd it!

I was on a guys weekend in New Orleans the weekend of his funeral (It was a Friday morning I believe). We turned on the TV to "catch a bit" of the service. We didn't leave the room for several hours. We watched the whole service and if you've never seen four grown men crying in a hotel room, it was something we weren't ashamed of either. Azingers entire speech was full of emotion and you could feel the love between them.

As for the show the other night. I'm in the minority I guess. I just found it lacking something. Maybe I had built it up to be something more. But I can't put my finger on it. Certain things were great....SPOILER ALERT:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Like Tracy going through his box of belongings, that was pretty emotional.

But I just was expecting it to be presented in a different way. It certainly wasn't bad, just didn't deliver what I was expecting.

I was on a guys weekend in New Orleans the weekend of his funeral (It was a Friday morning I believe). We turned on the TV to "catch a bit" of the service. We didn't leave the room for several hours. We watched the whole service and if you've never seen four grown men crying in a hotel room, it was something we weren't ashamed of either. Azingers entire speech was full of emotion and you could feel the love between them.

As for the show the other night. I'm in the minority I guess. I just found it lacking something. Maybe I had built it up to be something more. But I can't put my finger on it. Certain things were great....SPOILER ALERT:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Like Tracy going through his box of belongings, that was pretty emotional.

But I just was expecting it to be presented in a different way. It certainly wasn't bad, just didn't deliver what I was expecting.

I actually see what you mean. I really enjoyed it but kinda wished it was longer and I think that's because of the Arnie series they put together. That was really in depth and I think I sort of expected that but for only an hour they did a good job

I actually see what you mean. I really enjoyed it but kinda wished it was longer and I think that's because of the Arnie series they put together. That was really in depth and I think I sort of expected that but for only an hour they did a good job
Exactly, I mean what they had was very good stuff. Just wanted more and maybe some more highlights of him actually playing, and more from Zinger and others he was close to.

But yes the Arnie one did set the bar very high.

I watched maybe the first 10 minutes - the sentimental stuff with his wife - and was having a hard time getting into it. I DVR'd it and will try again.

Caught it the same night just a little later thanks to the DVR made me an instant fan of Payne. Just seemed like a really good guy.

Can't disagree with this assessment one bit...I have no doubt there was plenty of good material to have made it a 90 min- 2 hour special or even a multi night thing....

I'm waiting to catch it On Demand.

I remember when he passed, I followed the story on the Internet that whole day. I was working for an ISP, so being online was commonplace for us while so many other businesses still were ignoring that newfangled fad that wasn't going to last. It was very sobering realizing what had happened.

Back