• No

Votes: 36 81.8%

• Total voters

Nate

My Friends Call Me Big Time
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Just saw an interview on the Golf Channel with Lee Westwood on the course doing some practice around the greens as he prepares for the US Open this week. He's 1 of 11 players playing this week that will have played in the 3 US Opens held at Pinehurst. So it got me to thinking.....

He's been close in Masters. He had The Open championship last year if not for Phil. He's 41. Justin Rose has a major. Darren Clarke has a major. Donald and Poulter are still chasing but are younger.

So the tough question is: Will Lee Westwood ever win a major?

I have always stood buy the thought that Lee will not win a major. He can't put to save his life whether in contention on Sunday or not.

He's not on top of my list to win a major

I voted no, but it's hard to say never. Lots of fluke wins over the years. I don't think he's got what it takes though, especially with an apparent decline in the last couple years.

I don't ever see him winning a major, even though I would be happy for him if he did.

I'm going to say yes. I don't think it will be this weekend and maybe not this year but I think he will walk away in his career with at least one major win.

Anything is possible. But, put me in the lot of people who don't think Westwood will win a major.

For whatever reason, he rarely seems to shine during a major. Obviously, you are competing against the best in the world, and there has to be some luck as well as excellent play. But, for Westwood, it just doesn't seem like his play in majors is there regularly enough to give him a chance at it.

Of course, maybe he'll catch lightning in a bottle one week and break through. I just don't think he will.

I think when he gets in contention he'll look back at his past performances and hiccup out of nervousness, I just don't think he's that kind of putter.

Does not handle the pressure well. It was a no for me.

I think that Phil and Westwood are in the same boat when it comes to Majors for Lee and US Open for Phil. They are not going to go out there and be in the lead and win it. It needs to happen how it did with Phil at the Open Championship last year. Be 4 shots back and tee off early and go out and shoot a great final round. There are too many ghost, bad voodoo for them both from past fails. However I do not think that it either of them will win this week.

I went no as well. Just don't think lady luck is on his side.

He's had a few options and never closed the deal. I just don't think it will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything is possible. But, put me in the lot of people who don't think Westwood will win a major.

For whatever reason, he rarely seems to shine during a major. Obviously, you are competing against the best in the world, and there has to be some luck as well as excellent play. But, for Westwood, it just doesn't seem like his play in majors is there regularly enough to give him a chance at it.

Of course, maybe he'll catch lightning in a bottle one week and break through. I just don't think he will.

Of the last 24 majors he's played he's finished in the top fifteen 16 times (one of the 16 was 16th place). Top five 8 of those 16 or 1/3 of the time. Kind of hard to say he's not shining right?!

I just don't see him putting well enough at the end of the day but as good as his ball striking typically is maybe he catches lightning in a bottle one day

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Never say never, but I doubt Lee will ever win a major. He seems to be right there until Sunday hits. And his putter. Woof.

I think he will luck up sometime...probably in a few years when he thinks the chance is gone, not unlike a Darren Clarke. Then again, maybe I just want to go against the grain.

Of the last 24 majors he's played he's finished in the top fifteen 16 times (one of the 16 was 16th place). Top five 8 of those 16 or 1/3 of the time. Kind of hard to say he's not shining right?!

How many did he win again?

I thought we were talking about when Westwood would win one, not get close. :Alien

If we're talking about getting close, let me tell you about Matt Kuchar...

I don't think he will at this point, I'm still rooting for him to get 1 though.

The question really becomes, will he peak again. He was at the top of his game in ball striking and reached #1 in the world. He had a MASSIVE chance to win the Masters a few times and always seems to play well 3 out of the 4 days. I'd like to think that he still has something in him to pull ahead for a 4 day stretch and win one.

If I had to pick which one he would do it at, it would be Augusta, because of his driving of the ball.

I don't know. He was a strong player for a while, but he has not been a strong player in a while. I'd like to think that he could have a week like Darren Clarke did and end up taking home a major trophy. I vote no, but I would not be surprised if he got one.

Well, Im fairly certain it wont be this year, I think hes been inside the top 20 maybe twice, just not playing good golf.

At age 41, I think that ship has sailed and with the abundance of young talent on the tour winning nowadays I just dont see it ever happening.

He plays "well" in majors and theres no denying that, just dont think he has enough to win one.

Great guy, terrible putter, at least on Sunday during a major. I voted no, because if he hasn't been able to close the deal by now, I don't think he will be able to now.

The fields are too deep and he (and Sergio) unfortunately have too many demons/too much pressure at this point.

I think John Daily has a better chance of winning another than Westwood has at winning one.

How many did he win again?

I thought we were talking about when Westwood would win one, not get close. :Alien

If we're talking about getting close, let me tell you about Matt Kuchar...

No doubt. It's win or go home. I guess the not shining has it's place as he's not finishing the deal when he's suppose to. He's in the hunt and is playing well enough to be there on Sunday, maybe more than anyone right now. But so far something is missing, whether it's skill or in the head.

There's a tiny crack in that door, but I think it's just about ready to shut completely.

Back