The House Searching / Buying/ Building Thread

Yeah dude, always a good time, plus I get to be critical and make Laura laugh which is one of my favourite things to do.

We just walked through two rooms of a house and left haha. Weaaaaaak.

Yeah dude, always a good time, plus I get to be critical and make Laura laugh which is one of my favourite things to do.

My favorite are the "drive-bys". Yup, would never live there next...haha

I just walked into one that has an active roof leak. Like, the floor has a puddle on it active. I enjoyed that one

Not an option wardy. That crap takes too long!!

I can't even imagine how bad some of these places are when they are not up for sale.

Unless regulations are different in Ohio, that shouldn't be the case these days. It typically is no problem closing in 30 days or faster. It all comes down to your financing.

Still getting a lot of showings but we need out house to sell. To many houses we like that probably won't stay on the market long.

I'd lose my mind walking into that.

Took some photos of a house I'm about to show that I'll upload when on wifi. This house would drive you insane dude. It's missing almost everything imaginable.

Took some photos of a house I'm about to show that I'll upload when on wifi. This house would drive you insane dude. It's missing almost everything imaginable.

Those are my favorite, you get them dirt cheap, and end up with the nicest house in the neighborhood for the least money spent. I always say give me a house with bad paint and stinky carpet, carpet and paint is cheap!!!

Trying to make my skin crawl on a tuesday?

They call that a "blank canvas"

I don't miss that stuff at all. Our house finished 12/1/13. We just made it through the first violent storm of the summer (nothing like tornado sirens at midnight)

Photos will come later but I'm sure the write up would involve something like..

"You will love the ability to design your own dream kitchen" "enjoy the tax and energy cost savings on a brand new air conditioner and water heater" "needs a little TLC but with the right buyer, you can get this home for a great price"

In layman terms: entire kitchen is missing. Like... Empty room.

AC handler and condenser is completely gone along with the water heater.

A few holes in the drywall, one of them is so big though I could almost walk in it standing up.

Photos will come later but I'm sure the write up would involve something like..

"You will love the ability to design your own dream kitchen" "enjoy the tax and energy cost savings on a brand new air conditioner and water heater" "needs a little TLC but with the right buyer, you can get this home for a great price"

In layman terms: entire kitchen is missing. Like... Empty room.

AC handler and condenser is completely gone along with the water heater.

A few holes in the drywall, one of them is so big though I could almost walk in it standing up.

That's how's my last house was, anything that was scrapable they took

It's been a lot of work to get this far... from a 2-3 year old (mostly clearcut property), to this:

DA9E71AC-7E41-4E2D-9385-B0CE0A436269_zpsfzi3keqg.jpg

edesyvyh.jpg

Your dream shell kitchen

umeze9an.jpg

New drywall possibilities

asyre4ym.jpg

ysuhagyb.jpg

7ebu3aty.jpg

Enjoy the wonderful new AC system savings you'll need after you move in!

sy7eny5u.jpg

This was on the kitchen floor. Basically summarizes the house.

Is that NJ?

Mward I'll start the bidding at $1000.

The House Searching / Buying/ Building Thread

Just north of Tampa. I should also add that the current list price is at 199,000 but from what I saw on making the showing instructions, I guess there is an offer for 146,000. If the house were fixed up, it'd probably be over 220k

Just north of Tampa. I should also add that the current list price is at 199,000 but from what I saw on making the showing instructions, I guess there is an offer for 146,000. If the house were fixed up, it'd probably be over 220k

I'm no property expert like you Wardy, but could you do all your need to do/buy for that house for $50K? Looks like it needs everything, literally....almost to the point of gutting it to make sure there is STILL wiring in the walls. lol

I'm no property expert like you Wardy, but could you do all your need to do/buy for that house for $50K? Looks like it needs everything, literally....almost to the point of gutting it to make sure there is STILL wiring in the walls. lol

I think that number would be reasonable. The bigger question is what you do with that kitchen. Obviously you have some possible water damage issues behind that wall on the far left that need to be further inspected but cabinetry can be affordable as long as you don't go crazy. Countertop is your big question mark depending on how much you go. Assume you spend maybe 20k in the kitchen for everything wrong with it.

Drywall is cheap, so not an issue.

Water heater, under 1200

AC, likely 6k per unit (pretty sure it was a 2 unit home since there's no way 2.5 ton could cool a 2900sqft house)

Carpet, few thousand since there was a lot of flooring.

My guess is maybe low 40's barring any rude surprises?

I think that number would be reasonable. The bigger question is what you do with that kitchen. Obviously you have some possible water damage issues behind that wall on the far left that need to be further inspected but cabinetry can be affordable as long as you don't go crazy. Countertop is your big question mark depending on how much you go. Assume you spend maybe 20k in the kitchen for everything wrong with it.

Water heater, under 1200

AC, likely 6k per unit (pretty sure it was a 2 unit home since there's no way 2.5 ton could cool a 2900sqft house)

Well if this is anything like all those shows my wife watches on TLC and HGTV...there WILL be some rude surprises!

Water heater, under 1200

Having not seen it, I think your 40s would certainly be reasonable Can't tell how big the kitchen is, but you can do a full kitchen for well under 20 if you are just flipping. But trying to flip a house that would sell at only 220 for 3k Sq ft isn't really where your smart money goes.

Of course it all goes way up when you start finding those little issues :banghead:

Of course. If you're being cheap and just making it live able, you could probably do it for cheaper for sure. If you get a good general contractor in there, it might be lower. Put quality stuff in there though, you might be able to sell it for a good amt higher than 220

Well we just got word we have an offer in on the house!! Woohoo. From the sounds if it, it sounds like it's going to work out well and we might make some money or at least break even. Which is a plus for us.

Just got done getting pre-approved as well tonight so all things are looking up. Our realtor is running the numbers and will get back to us in a little while.

Back