Playing from the Opposite Side - What Would You Shoot?

flog2424

Philippians 4:13
Reaction score
Handicap
Today on Twitter, Rickie Fowler is having an 18 hole match and trying to break 100 playing Left Handed. I know each year, players take a stab hitting balls fromt he opposite in various Pro Am's or practice rounds and it got me thinking..... What would you shoot if you had to switch sides and hit the opposite way?

I know in college our coach made us practice occasionally the opposite direction to build up strength for both sides of our bodies and also help us if we needed to get creative if we were in the trees. I cannot imagine that I would break 100 from the other side but it might be fun to try out sometime soon

I'm a prett good left handed putter, but getting to the green would be brutal. I'll go with...394.

I would never make it past the first hole honestly but id suspect i'd be near 300 if I was to play 18 lol.

I'd like to think I could shoot under 150 from the left side

I got nothing going on wrong handed. It would be ugly.

#pickupatdoubledigits

I would get too frustrated after a few holes. In HS we used to play hole 9 opposite handed. I parred the hole once, but I had to drain a miracle putt to do it. If I am thinking realistically, on a semi-open course, I would think I'd shoot in the neighborhood of 160.

I would be ugly but i bet i could break 200

Ummm... Infinity? The day isn't long enough for me to get in 18 holes with how uncoordinated I am as a lefty.

A LOT....although I can putt lefty. But that's about it.

150-200. It would look awkward, since I would keep my normal lefty grip, and just swing the opposite way.

#InternetGolfer

when I was a teenager/young adult I played a couple rounds of golf and messed around at putt-putt type places. Old clubs, no idea what I was doing, and no interest in learning. But, I had no putter... I used a backwards blade iron to putt. I don't know why I did that. but, because I got comfortable using it I used to do putt-putt left-handed. Now that I have actually started playing golf for real, I do everything right-handed. But... I think I could at least get around the greens pretty well with a LH putter. The rest would be interesting to say the least. I'd definitely like to try. Under 100? I doubt it. but it would be fun!

I hit a drive lefty once on a bet. Had a 100 yard carry over a ravine & had to make the fairway. Popped it sky high but landed on top in the short grass. I think I won a Budweiser.

This is going to sound like #Internetgolferdad... But my dad learned lefty, then converted over to righty until he recently developed blockages in his left leg. Because of this I got him a used LH set off of eBay... First time he went out he shot a 41.

I tried hitting his new lefty clubs and it was awful... Huge banana fade off the tee. Mixed with chunky cuffs when trying to hit off of the fairway.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk

I saw the highlights of Rickie taking a few lefty swings during a practice round earlier this year and he had a pretty good looking swing from that side. My left handed swing would look about as pretty as a pile of clotheshangers, but I'm thinking I could still manage to score 125 - 150.

I'd have to be on a fairly easy course with no forced carries but I think I could figure out a way to scrape it around in about double the strokes I'd normally take. While I'm RH dominant and have always golfed RH, I was a LH shot in ice hockey (a very similar grip and motion) and was also a pretty decent switch hitter in baseball and fast pitch. I even hit HR from opposite sides of the plate in the same game on a couple occasions. Those other sports are ancient history for me now but I do still take LH cuts with a bat every once and awhile and I will still frequently turn my 8i upside down (toe facing ground) and swing it a few times lefty when on the range, just to be sure I'll not be intimidated if I need the shot while golfing.

Last edited:
I would probably have to pick up on each hole. I have no coordination doing anything with the left side of my body. But as for a number I would say around 200-225.

I'd easily shoot 360, but that would be picking up after 20 strokes on each hole.

Back