Wilson Staff Introduces Milled 8802

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
This year Wilson Staff is re-introducing one of the most iconic putter designs in golf, its 8802 putter, and this one is incredibly special as not only is it a milled version but it also features a re-designed Head-Speed shaft and grip combination that the originals were renowned for. In fact, that shaft is still incredibly sought after to this day.

History of the 8802 Design:

1940 – Wilson introduces the R46 Willie Hoare putter. “A revolutionary putter with a different feel and a new grip. It has an unusually broad sole, giving it excellent balance.”
1948 – R46, Winsum putter Designed by Willie Hoare.
1950 – Stock numbers were changed and the R46 become the D8802.
1954 – Winsum putter Designed by Willie Hoare is changed to D8802 stock number.
1955 – A new Winsum putter is introduced. “This goose-neck putter features a brass head, flange back…”
1959 – New Turf Rider putter, with double ribbed sole is introduced with stock number D8802.
1960 – Four new brass putters are introduced, all with flared tip shafts. One of which is called simply Arnold Palmer and is “Designed By the world famous Arnold Palmer… brass head with Flared Tip shaft; beautiful calfskin grip.”
1961 – Another Turf Rider putter with double ribbed sole is introduced, maintaining the D8802 stock number.
1962 – The Designed By Arnold Palmer putter is introduced. Described as “Flanged type blade putter” and “Perfect head feel transmitted to the grip”, it is essentially the 8802 as we know it. Assigned stock number D8852.
1963 – Arnold Palmer leaves Wilson. On November 1st, the Designed By Palmer/D8852 putter is renamed The Wilson 8802 and renumbered to D8802.
1969 – Wilson “pro” club stock numbers are changed from D to R.
1971 – Wilson Staff putters have R stock numbers and Wilson putter have D stock numbers. The 8802 model gets a black chrome finish, but retains its D8802 designation.
1975 – Wilson re-introduces the original 8802 and changes the stock number to R8802.
2014 – Wilson Staff introduces the Milled 8802.

About the Milled 8802:

Continuing the great Wilson Staff heritage… The often imitated, but never duplicated, iconic design with updated technology and World Class performance.

Celebrates Wilson’s 100-year anniversary.

From the Designed by Arnold Palmer to the 8802 to today…The same elegant, timeless, heel shafted headshape with numerous major championship wins.

Milled from 304 stainless steel for the ultimate inprecision, feel and feedback.
Double milled face to be perfectly flat for true roll.

Modern head weight (335 grams) to work with today’s green speeds and ball construction.

Available in RH and LH

True Temper Head Speed Shaft

• Stepless and fluted for outstanding feel.
  • Flared tip design “melts” into the hosel.
  • Shaft band based on the original design.

Lamkin 3GEN Smooth Pistol Grip

• Red with white Wilson Staff logo.
  • Smaller, “old school” pistol shape and size.
  • Lamkin's proprietary 3GEN material, their softest synthetic rubber compound which reduces vibration without dulling the feel of the putt.

Putter Images:

8802_Back-L.jpg

8802_Face-L.jpg

8802_Heel-L.jpg

8802_Hero-L.jpg

8802_Shaft-L.jpg

8802_Grip-L.jpg

8802_Headcover2-L.jpg

8802_Headcover1-L.jpg

Last edited:
  • Staff
I will 1000% have one. It may not be a gamer, but I will dang sure have one, the fact that they re-did the Head Speed shaft is pretty awesome, to this day that truly is still one of THE most sought after components out there as it pertains to putters, originals can go for a pretty penny.

Awesome. One of my favorite putters ever. I will be getting one! Looks sweet as ever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh I like that!! It's like a smaller #9, I will absolutely have to try one.

Oh boy!

I think that is a awesome looking flatstick!

Simple, old fashioned, sort of elegant!

That is a gorgeous flatstick...

I will 1000% have one. It may not be a gamer, but I will dang sure have one, the fact that they re-did the Head Speed shaft is pretty awesome, to this day that truly is still one of THE most sought after components out there as it pertains to putters, originals can go for a pretty penny.

I agree. I will have one too! Sure is sharp. Love. Don't know much about Wilson putters but I like the looks of it. I like sleek!

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

That's pretty sweet looking. I could never game it with the lack of alignment aid though.

Headcover looks fantastic as well.

Any info on release date James? My dad putts with an 8802 style would love to get him one of these

Wilson Staff Introduces Milled 8802

Will they be available in left hand?

Last edited:
Is Tapatalk not showing a price or is it not posted? That thing is really classic and sweet looking.

No price posted. Can't find it anywhere on the net, either

Will they be available in left hand?

First thing I thought of and I am sure us lefties will be left sad. But we can hope for the best.

Man that's a pretty looking putter.

Accidentally eh :p Thanks buddy. Yay!

Stunning. Way to go W/S. Will be getting one of these for certain.

She's a beaut Clark. Wow, i love the headcover too

That is a very classic and sleek looking putter. Definitely has that old school look to it. Don't really know if I could game it but it sure looks pretty.

One good looking stick right there; Well played Wilson... well played.

Absolutely gorgeous. I love the look of 8802 heads

Love it, I'm still kicking myself for not hanging on to the 8882 I had.

Oh man that is one sessy flatstick. Definitely would love one of those. Really nicely done.

Back