So, no comments on Wie's putting style

BamBooBender

See-Moe
Reaction score
Handicap
My brain
Actually tons of conversation on it in the US Open thread.
Including pics of a THPer trying it.

I must have missed that, sorry

I went back and read that, but I'm really talking about how she validated it by winning a major, not just that it looks goofy.

I would rather win second at the us open than have to putt like that. Maybe?

I'd putt laying down if it could win me a major. lol

I have to think it's going to hurt her back in the long run. Not to mention how far her eyes must be past the line when she's like that.

I have to think it's going to hurt her back in the long run. Not to mention how far her eyes must be past the line when she's like that.

They actually showed her eye line today, and she's not over the line.

My back practically hurts just watching her do it. I applaud her for finding something that works for her and going with it regardless of how iota looks or what people say.

Just proves that golf can be played a lot of different ways. There is never going to be only one way to play golf.

I thought her putting was fantastic this past weekend. I believe they said she had zero three putts for the entire tournament. Pretty impressive, especially at a course like Pinehurst #2.

My back practically hurts just watching her do it. I applaud her for finding something that works for her and going with it regardless of how iota looks or what people say.

Exactly

I'm really impressed that she was able to make longer putts that way. When I tried the similar method it was super easy to make shorter putts (under 10') , but I found it hard to make longer putts.

They actually showed her eye line today, and she's not over the line.

I didn't see that. It's surprising though to me. She's got her, well she's making adjustments to keep her eyes on line. Makes it work and that's all that matters.

She's 24, and in great shape. I don't think you're going to get too many overweight, bad-back, 50y old converts to this.
It obviously works better for her than what she WAS doing when putting was an adventure. I do wonder how long she can do that...I suppose as long as she has to if she stays in shape and has no back issues.

If she was 5'2", I don't think it looks as unusual as it does now. I've seen any number of little old dudes contorted into pretzels while putting.

I would need a US Kids putter to be able to pull that putting stroke off.

Thought it was old news since she has been putting that way since end of last year.

I would need a US Kids putter to be able to pull that putting stroke off.

Or just watch MikeDean putt. It's quite similar.

Thought it was old news since she has been putting that way since end of last year.
You're missing the point bud, the OP was saying she'd validated using the stroke, not saying or implying it was new in any way. But you already knew that right?

I used to putt just like that ( wayyyyyy before she did and stopped maybe 2 years ago) It would take a toll on my back but I putted good like that. I've since changed to a conventional style and feel I putt much better. Everytime my dad and I see her putt he always laughs and says "She'll learn one day" now I don't know I think she learned a lot.

Abs of Steel.

I think she pretty well proved it to be valid, and I'm interested to see if she keeps at it.
I used a similar method (Paul Trevillion's method http://www.amazon.com/Missing-Impossible-Trevillions-Perfect-practical/dp/0720720605) for a while with great results but gave it up because it looked so strange. Props to Michelle for doing it on national TV, and winning a major no less.

I remember hearing on a telecast that Leadbetter distanced himself from the new putting technique when Michelle first started it. Now I'm sure he's taking full credit for it (joking of course).....I guess sometimes you have to shake things up sometimes when your stroke isn't working. It looks weird, but you can't argue against her results.

Hey, it's pretty ugly but if it provides results then I'm all for it.

I do believe she won using this stroke already and has had numerous top tens with it. The stroke was validated long before this week. And who cares what it looks like if it works.

Back