The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had an outstanding 95% of the time range session. The 5% was when I was over confident and going after it. This metronome thing is really starting to take hold and contol my tempo! The GW is a newtome club but liking the distance between the PW and the 54° TT. Can't wait for the virgin course time tomorrow and hope the last couole of range sessions bleed into the real word. I owe this course a few!

Quite amazed at the last fitting and how well it is coming along with this setup. We thought I might need another degree flat, but think these fit the bill nicely. Tomorrow will tell the tale.
excited ro see it in action tomorrow!

Lots of driver work post round Saturday to fix some issues. Also an hour if short game work in the rain today pre-round. It paid off a bit today keeping me in play as well as used to rain conditions.

Had a great range session yesterday. It started off well with me arriving to complete shock that the range actually spent money and bought new mats. What a pleasant surprise.

I got my bucket of balls and resolved myself to focus on feeling only. I wasn't going to worry about the result. I just wanted to achieve the feel I wanted. I really made a lot of progress at getting my hands working better and despite not worrying about the results, the results were fantastic. I sweated up a storm, but had a blast doing it.

It's been awhile since I posted in this thread, not because I haven't been practicing, just don't want to post the same monotone post about practicing the same things over and over. Anywho, I had a bit of a discouraging round from a putting and chipping standpoint, granted, my last 4-5 rounds, the putter and short game have been fantastic and yesterday, they were pretty atrocious. I believe I can chalk that up to two things that I was doing with my short game:

1) Being aggressive with my stroke on putts and my attack point on chips (the point where the ball hits the green in proximity to the cup) (I literally just made up the phrase "attack point", I think I am going to make a DVD now). I haven't played on terribly slow greens, but I have been playing on greens that have allowed me to be aggressive on my pitches and chips with minimal rollout.

2) Speed of greens, those were the fastest greens I had played on to date, and that made me change my approach a bit because of the interaction I was getting on the greens. I was dealing with a ton more rollout than what I had seen all year, and that took a bit for me to adjust to.

So after the round, I went back to the range around 7 last night and spent all the way up until dark chipping and pitching with a half hour of lag putting thrown in in the middle. Looking back, I am really glad I had a round like that, it sucks with the score, but I gained a ton of info from it and it's going to make me a better golfer in the future.

Heading out for another round tomorrow, league play on Thursday and then a charity tournament on Friday.

You've got yourself a busy schedule DC. I haven't been in this thread very much lately for the same reasons you mentioned. I see it as a good thing though because you know exactly what you need to work on and exactly how you need to do it.

PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Range is closed today, but that just means I am in for a longer session tomorrow. The focus will be much the same, hands neutral on a neutral plane heading back, driving through the zone just barely inside-out to promote a small draw. Hardest part is getting the lower body in motion after staying so neutral for most of the last year.

The divots I've been taking since the change have been awesome. Contact on the club face is probably better than most drugs available on the streets of Mason Ohio. Just crazy flush, and when I don't wipe the ball, I get that awesome contact circle visible dead smack in the middle of the iron face.

Great things. Great, great things. Love me some golf.

Playing 9 after work today. Place is usually empty so I am going to play 2 balls. Going to mess around and play an aggressive ball and a conservative ball. See how this goes. Going to use it as a practice round so I hope to have some good results.

You've got yourself a busy schedule DC. I haven't been in this thread very much lately for the same reasons you mentioned. I see it as a good thing though because you know exactly what you need to work on and exactly how you need to do it.

Ya dude, I feel like I am so much more prepared for the MC this year than I was last. Definitely from a mental standpoint, but also from where my game is at as well.

Ya dude, I feel like I am so much more prepared for the MC this year than I was last. Definitely from a mental standpoint, but also from where my game is at as well.

Confidence and Optimism my friend!!! We believe in you.

Ok, first of all, these are NOT my divots. I'm just in shock some one was able to dig that deep with their irons.

pu4uqavu.jpg

Small bucket this morning, just hit GW, 9i, 7i, and 5i alternating every few balls. I really tried to just feel like my hands only went as high as my waist, and my right wrist hinged back instead of up. When I did that well, I hit nice straight shots. When I didn't, ball flight was lower but still relatively straight. I didn't have a single slice for the second session in a row, so I'm feeling pretty good this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lesson #8 set for this thursday, going to continue to work on the iron swing and then spend some time with hybo/woods off deck. Hoping from there we go into short game lessons moving forward, while continuing to check in on the swing.

Me and the 7I will be at the range probably tonight and tomorrow (weather permitting). Just continuing to work on the changes and eventually they will come over to the course. Still doesnt feel like my loose range swing is being taken over to the course, but I know its going to take much more work for that to happen long term.

Lots more short game work as I had 2 good short game sessions last week and 1 bad one which lead me to change my setup. Going to see how it goes this week leading up to a short game session next week.

The past two weeks I play a ton of golf down in the Pinehurst area. Some pretty decent scoring, but I have identified some issues that need direct attention. I played Whispering Pines, the Pines course on Friday. Tipped it out at just over 7000 yds. Long irons were a little shaky off some of the par3's. With one that wasn't really reachable with any of the clubs I had in my bag. At 232 I was stuck in my back setup gap. Trying to easy a FW wood really wasn't the play. All the work I've done on short game and putting saved my backside the entire time down there. Work to do!

Just had my second consecutive day of horrible range sessions. My takeaway feels horrible. Not sure if it's my alignment or me just getting way to handsy at the start. Setting up another lesson ASAP

Just had my second consecutive day of horrible range sessions. My takeaway feels horrible. Not sure if it's my alignment or me just getting way to handsy at the start. Setting up another lesson ASAP

For me this usually means I'm due for a good round. Great range session equals awful golf. I can't explain it.

Tried to do the range but wouldn't let me hit balls cause of lightening. So I worked on chipping at different flags. Much better this time compared to my last one last week. Still coming up early on a few and catching the ball on the bottom of the club.

Will keep grinding away a few more times this week before Thursdays lesson

Got a bonus range session in tonight courtesy of a generous woman at home.

Took it pretty easy and hit 100 balls. It was pretty good. Then to the putting green, which ended right away b/c the greens hadn't been mowed and I didn't want to get all hammer happy. Some greenside work, which was a bit sloppy. Regardless, a good night.

Got a small bucket (about 40 balls) and chipped/reloaded 5 times to the practice green. Did some chipping with 7 iron 52/56 & 60 wedges, flops with 60, and then some sand work. Then went through the bag to empty the bucket out into the range. Took about an hour and a half. Lunch time at the putting green tomorrow. Gauntlet prep is firing me up. Visions of Grandaddy dancing through my head.

Actually tried a "real" range session today. I feel that I’ve only ever just gone and smacked ball after ball on the range. Got a small bucket and took my time today. I had been hitting a ton of hozel shots lately so I decided to focus only on my setup. I started lining up with just my left hand on the club (right handed golfer) and feeling like i was almost stretching to reach the ball in the middle of the club face. Then I brought my other hand underneath and bent the knees to get to a nice comfortable position. Doing this I was hitting nice shots again and again with no more hozel rockets.

After feeling like I had a rewarding session on the range wen and focused on some putting. I've always let my head follow my stroke so today I focused on not watching where the ball went. I just merely focused on trying to take the same backswing and follow through never taking my eye off where the ball is. Amazing how much more consistent of a distance i seemed to be hitting the ball.

Will definitely need to run through this routine a couple more times on the range!

Thanks THP for giving me motivation to actually practice my game!

My home course is closed on Monday so I ventured to a local muni driving range. The conditions were not ideal but I soldiered on and hit a large bucket. My full swing with mid-iron was feeling great so I didn't spend much time on it. I focused solely on GW and 54* full swings. This past Sunday I struggled with hitting greens with full wedge swings. Despite the poor footing and trying to find some grass, I quickly got into a groove with my GW. Unfortunately, the large bucket didn't last very long and before I knew it I had emptied the bucket so off to the putting green I headed.

I have been working a lot on my full swing last weekend and yesterday, trying to figure out why I keep raising up out of the shot early. I finally realized that I'm still taking the club inside and laying off too much, resulting in an OTT move and I'm raising up just to make contact with the ball. It's been plaguing me this season, but now I'm focusing on swinging the handle and getting the club parallel to the target line at the top, then having my left hands dominate the downswing. I went to the range yesterday and was hitting the ball more flush and solidly than I have in a while. It felt much easier to create lag and get the club around, probably my hands are no longer too far behind me on the backswing. It's how I was swinging when I got my PB last month, so it makes sense to work on this swing. I'm excited to get out on the course again.

thegolfwit@gmail

thegolfwit@gmail

Last year on my first time out I got paired with some very good golfers and I had a disastrous time of it. I was rusty and they were scratch golfers. Finally on the 14th hole or so one of them pointed out I was coming out of my swing to early. Sure, I was so anxious about failure I was trying to get out of the situation.

I think golf comes with stress and fear. That's why Hogan talked about a swing that could be repeated under pressure. The stress can be from oneself, ones life at the moment, playing partners. The only way to deal with it is to push through it. This is a hard game, one, that if it were not so rewarding, you would have to be crazy to take up.

I won't go out unprepared again.

thegolfwit@gmail

Excited to get back to the range tonight after taking 5 days off. I had a surprisingly good range session working on the evens, 3W and Driver. I mixed up the rotation going PW, 8i, 3W, 6i, Driver and 4h with about 10-12 swings each. I'm definitely trying to find ways to shake up the routine on the range as it can get a bit stale at times.

I'll be playing a new course with jhstew1 this weekend so I'll work on a sim round at the range Weds night. Gotta find a scorecard and do some homework!

Did 2 hours on the range today, in preparation for this coming Saturday's Order of the Purple Heart Tournament in Lakewood, WA. Much of my time was spent on my new Mizuno 51* Gap wedge, which replaces my Ping 52*. I will put it in live play tomorrow morning, as I have a 9am tee time.

602511_531696356843468_1733685551_n.jpg

I've been itching to get to the range but heavy downpours yesterday killed it and they're calling for more today.

I suppose yesterday was just one of those days on the range. Couldn't get into a nice rhythm or tempo at all with my full shots, so I decided to pack it up early and grind the short game more, which calmed me down a bit. I just want to play the best golf I can in MB, and I feel like I still have a ways to go...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back