The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hit balls today.
The new takeaway is in place for the 1st half and a train wreck for the second half. Its a process and I have to let it go, but its a struggle. I just keep telling myself that it will be where I need it to next year.

I have goals in place and golf is one of them. Im excited at the result, just hate running the race.

Short practice session today, focused on pitching and chipping quite a bit, and a bit of putting.

It was about an hour, but I feel like I got some decent work in in perpetration for this weekends event in Ocean City.

#PowerHour

Lessons today - 45 min short chips, 30 min drills inside w the instructor, and 45 min on the trackman. Changing swing a bit, seeing good results w respect to ball distance and ease of swing. Once the full swing gets grooved, look out!
And, hit driver w trackman, with average carry 250 and total yards around 280. Which is nice, especially since I haven't practiced drives since last week.
Signed up for another year's worth of sessions, including flexibility exercises and workout sessions.
I hope to get to single digits by Jan 1, and qualify for a USGA amateur event next summer. Got some work to do, but I feel that I am just a few weeks from making really big strides with my game.

I also spent some time on the putting green. Some of the best money I've spent all year was on the putting lesson. I am continuously happy about how much better things are and how easy it is to repeat some fundamentals, starting with grip, which produce solid results. That part of the game is coming around quite nicely.

Well guys had a amazing playing lesson tonight. This was one big reason why I pick my pro because he does this.
Started out playing well hitting the fairway on a short par 4, then it was a gap wedge from 100 out that I kept a little short. Then chipped real close for a tap in par. But here on the first green we worked on my putting. One thing he noticed was that I was using my ball line on the ball but just need to stand up and go back and check it before just putting away. Also he told me to get a marker and make it a bigger line to help out better. Did that and I was hitting better. Also with the putting game it was speed I need to work with. Uphill putts I always keep them short and downhill ones I put those long. He told me start putting a tee a foot infront of the hole for downhill and a foot behind the uphill putts. Try to do that and I will start seeing lower putts.
Shot game first thing he said was I was gripping to hard by him seeing my fingers all white. Also I need to just let the club drop nice and soft instead of swinging away. Switched that up and and I was doing better with the short game.
Driver and irons. Driver just need to play my miss which is right and aim left of the fairway and use that fairway. Irons I need to make sure I keep my left shoulder down so I can stop topping the ball.
Another thing which I heard about what something Canadan tells me all the time is stay positive and OPTIMISM OPTIMISM. He said he noticed after a couple shots before the ball even landed i was kinda pissy. Told me to stop that and just think about being positive.
Finally he told me I could easily be in the 80's, just need to stay positive get those putts 30 and below and get my chips and pitches better. So looks like I got some great stuff to work off of guys. It's GRIND TIME!!‪#‎TheGrindIsReal‬ ...

Hit balls today.
The new takeaway is in place for the 1st half and a train wreck for the second half. Its a process and I have to let it go, but its a struggle. I just keep telling myself that it will be where I need it to next year.

I have goals in place and golf is one of them. Im excited at the result, just hate running the race.

You're going to kick ass next year dude, maybe even by the late summer, you have way too much passion for success not to.

90 minute range session
Decided to start off with short game first as the green was open. Started out well and then I'm not sure wtf happened. Lota of balls right again. I tried feet together, move closer to ball, move further away, tried to stay off the inside and nothing worked. Did that for awhile then got sick of what I was seeing and headed over to hit my bucket.

Me and the 7i like always. Started out with real slow swings and actually stopping complete at the top of the swing for a few seconds then powering through. Made some really flush contact and solid dispersion. Miss was right and it's due mostly to the lower body slide. Probably one of my better ball striking range sessions in quite some time. Out of the entire bucket I only hit 1 thin which is huge for me. Had some fatties but hey for a guy that doesn't swing down on the ball so be it.

The thing I was most proud of was that I placed the empty bucket just to the front and right of my bad foot. The goal was to stop coming from the inside on the down swing. Hit the bucket 0 times!

Things are coming along nicely. Gotta get this short game hiccup looked at and corrected and then continue on.
Lesson tomorrow working on the swing some more, hoping to maybe hit some driver a little and hybo off the deck as well.

Irons sound like they are really coming around 441. Good work dude.

Irons sound like they are really coming around 441. Good work dude.
Yeah 7i at least lol.

hit a few pw and aw...kinda feel like I'm scooping them...something to work on

Took my newly adjusted 8 iron out. Worked on really feeling some rubber arms, staying connected and just rotating through without the dive. Good session. I need to get the rest of my set bent asap so I can start to adjust and lose some of the compensations I'm sure I've built up over the last who knows how long.

Good stuff, Mike. Keep it, bro!

Thunderstorms tonight so working on some putting. Hope it clears up tomorrow night.

gyvapehy.jpg

rugybygu.jpg

Little rain didn't stop Maddog and I! He wanted to get a little work in before Ocean City so he met me at the range. I had one of the best sessions of my life. Hell I was nutting the 4 iron consistently and I never do that!! Worked up and down through my bag and was pretty much squaring everything. Feeling really really good about where my game is at right now.

Had a tune up lesson this morning keeping the flex in my right knee is better but still too much lower body movement. Ran through a couple drills to quiet it down and keep me on plane more and not so steep on the downswing.

I will work on this stuff hard like always but I won't fret over it this weekend in OC I'm dancing with whom I'm brining

Went out to the range and had my best range session of the year. Really had been working on posture and maintaining it thru impact. Pulling the left hip back and not sliding through the zone. About 60 balls with irons and most were struck square and pin seeking. I went up and down the bag several times and picking random pins to hit to and found myself smiling after each swing. Remaining balls were split with hybrid, 3w and driver. Then off to the chipping green and pit in an hour with tje 58°. Different length chips and pitches, hit a variety of trajectories and worked on distance control. Hit some runouts, lobs, and the spinny checkers. It was a great session

Lesson #8 tonight, probably continued work on the swing and then I want a few minutes just to take a look at short game.

I had a nice range session at lunch.

Iron play is coming along. I still had some stinkers but most everything was very playable - pretty good. Still work to do, but it is nice to see improvement.

Practice on Pelz type shots is getting better. The range has a small green left and right at about 60 yards, each with a small wooden bucket in the middle. I break up full swing practice by taking a handful of balls and trying to make it in the left bucket then the right bucket. I haven't made one yet. I hit the bucket today, my misses are getting much better and my overall dispersion is improving greatly.

After hitting it pretty well at the range last night I played. I was terrible. So I'm going to sneak off to the range on my way home and try to concentrate on what I'm being taught and I'm either going to get better or hack but I'm going to really make an effort to not revert back to old ways.

Short game, short game and more short game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do work Christian!

I had a nice short game session today myself before the range and round. Really working on the toe down bump and runner with the 58/SW/AW. Worked also on regular chips/pitches with the only focus being on getting ball first and clean contact through, its really helped me get the ball to check up a bit. Two different shots, but two I know that I can call on and have it be there in crunch time.

On the range my only thought today was a Panda thought, drop the hands and swing to right field. My issue is I get a) quick and b) divy (new word) at the ball from the top instead of letting the club drop to get on proper plane and in to out rather than OTT. So, it was all on tempo, drop, right field. Started with wedges and its really natural there with the shorter clubs. Moved to the irons and was fat a lot at first but as I trusted it and kept with it I got shallow beautiful straight flat divots and an EASY high ball flight. With the hybo's and fairway it took a little more time to get used to the feeling and will continue to need more. With the driver its going to take even more to trust it, more reps and not bailing on it, have to FINISH my turn back and not rush from the top. But it'll get there.

Really good and happy day though, went to the course and played well with all clubs but the driver which is going to take more time getting used to dropping and swinging right and not giving up on it. In fact, I actually hit intentional draws today, I mean TRULY intentional draws, and my trusty fade was still there for me naturally.

Good day.

My lady was having a rough one today so i couldn't do much but I used the fact that my new Diamana D+ 72S showed up today to go "try it out". I only hit the driver and maybe 50 or so. Besides wanting to get the feel for that shaft (I frickin love it) I wanted to keep working on my spine angle. I took a video of a dozen swings and although my take is way more down the line than it was, I'm still pulling off of my angle toward impact. Im sure this was the reason for the constant baby fade (not that its a bad thing). If I can stay over the ball more at impact, ill feel much more comfortable, I think. Good session today and I'm really glad I recorded those swings

Before my round tonight, worked with the putter for half and hour. Putting drill my instructor gave me was to put a tee a foot in front of the hole on down hill putts and a foot pass the hole on the uphill putts. My issue with putting isn't usually aiming, it's usually me not hitting it hard enough or to much. So worked on that and could tell I defiantly need work. Gonna keep at it, and start dropping those putts.

Simulated 9 holes at the range tonight and it went well. Hit the Bertha and 3W really well tonight so I hope it carries over to the weekend. Hoping to leave work early tomorrow and get some short game practice in.

Hour on the range trying to get used to a very upright iron today. Was definitely interesting. I can get down into the ball and turf a little better without leaving a inch wide divot from the toe, so that's nice. Compensations gotta go though, so I'm going to bend the whole set - hopefully tomorrow.

After the kids were in bed I went back to the putting green for 45 minutes. Worked on putting of course, but also a lot of work with short sided lies in the rough. Short game is really coming along nicely, as is putting. I'll need it in a month, so yay for that.

Lesson 8 tonight.

Started on chipping for first time. Noticed I stunk at keeping weight on front foot and was trying to scoop the ball. Also my forward press was overdone and would lead to way too many thins. Tweeked the take away and the setup and most importantly the grip and then things were much better. Still need lots of work to get feel and distances down but progress nonetheless.

Then about 45 minutes hitting irons. He liked what he saw as far as continuing to try to eliminate the inside on the downswing. Problem then wad I was holding onto the club and not releasing. Exact grip change from short game and I started flushing everything. Either straight or a smudge right but only time I was missing is when I was lifting up early. Another focus was getting back shoulder turn through the ball as I was hanging back some and balls going right.

Then tried some hybo off the deck which I suck at. Started off shakey but changed grip and then focused on takeaway more outside and I was hitting some high bombs. Missed a few right due to same issues above but love the solid Contact.

We have plan in place to finish up before the mc. Next lesson is driver and irons...then short game for most of 2 lessons including sand work and putting (and 50 yard shots which I've ignored) and then a playing lesson to see where i stand.

All in all I see the light at the end of the tunnel just gotta keep heading down the track

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back