What is your average distance for putts?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm curious what is the average distance you have on most putts. When you hit a green in regulation how far are you from the hole. When you miss a green how close is your recovery shot?

Do you know? Do you practice putts from this average range?

I read of people working on 10' putts but I rarely see guys with 10' putts. It's always longer so I want to know what the average length is.

If I hit the green I'm probably far away. If I am scrambling, I'll be closer. Yep, I practice lags and clean ups quite a bit.

It is a good question. I have the data as I keep track of my first putt length but have never calculated the avg. I however do several lag putting drills from 30-70 feet so I have that covered.

My guess is probably 20-25 feet for me. Sometimes a few feet closer when I miss greens but more times than not further when Im hitting GIR

I read about a good lag exercise a couple of days ago, so I'm going to work it into my practice routine. I actually hit a good deal of GIR (for me at any rate) yesterday ... 5 total ... and only one was within 4 feet (and fortunately I birdied that one). The others were all around 15-20 or more feet away. I almost always wind up short and if not short, well beyond the hole. Really need to work on my speed. My line is fine ... can't say how demoralizing it is to put a 25' putt an inch to the right or left of the hole and have it stop 6 feet past.

For yesterday's round, I hit 8 greens. For those 8 my avg dist from hole was between 25-30'. My closest was about 12'. My longest was about 36'. 6 of my missed greens were within 5 paces from the putting surface. I used putter on 3 of those.

This is some data I just started keeping. I am in Hawks boat where as if I chip I am going to be much closer. But I have really worked on my lag putting. I am looking at I would say more in the 15-25ft range usually.

Oh man thats a tough one. Id say probably 20' if I'm on in regulation, cept the rare fantastic shot. Usually closer if im chipping up.

I'd say the reason people practice 10' and in more is because thats what's usually left to clean up or save par after a missed green and a chip. Plus nothing more infuriating than missing a 6 footer for birdie or par.

I thought I remember hearing the average first putt on a green in regulation is 26 feet and that may have been the pro's #. As an amateur hacker, one hitting fewer gir's, two hitting shorter than the pro's approaches, I could see my number being in the vicinity of 30 feet. Home course has relatively large greens.

Varies a lot by how far away from the green I am on my approach shot. Honestly couldn't give you an average distance without pulling a number out of my behind.

However, when I practice putting before a round, I usually work a lot on 20-30 footers (judging pace, etc.) and also a lot of 4-5 footers.

Depends on the club and yardage coming into the green. I'm much closer with shorter irons and quite further with the long iron, hyrbid, or fairway. I'd say my average including all clubs would be about 25 feet or so. With an wedge in hand, I'd like to think I'm about 8-15 feet on most occasions (not always the case though because I'm just an internet golfer!)

For GIR, my average is probably between 15-20 feet. Maybe longer. I've been thinking about trying to track that info (because I think it would help be better figure out scoring), but I don't know an efficient way to do it during a round.

For up and down attempts, my average is probably around 4-5 feet. I'm typically closer than that on routine chips/pitches (the goal is within two feet), but I inevitably have a couple 6-8 foot putts in a round after a bad pitch or after being in a bad spot.

I don't keep a detailed stat, but I often walk them off and I would say in excess of 25 - 30' on a GIR or long approach. Closer on recovery's.

JM

GIR id guess 20-25' but only hitting 18% GIR so that's not fantastic.

On missed greens I'm confident I can get inside 5 ft 8/10 times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Internet AdamW238 - 10ft

Real AdamW238 - 25ft. But that's only for GIR. If I'm chipping and trying to get up and down it's usually around 10 feet.

My average putt is anywhere from 18'-22'. I always work on putting from that distance or a bit further to do my best to simulate a normal situation.

I pace my putts out so for GIR it is usually around 30 feet unless my approach was a wedge of some sort then around 15. If I am pitching from around the green usually can get it under 15.

Varies a lot by how far away from the green I am on my approach shot. Honestly couldn't give you an average distance without pulling a number out of my behind.

However, when I practice putting before a round, I usually work a lot on 20-30 footers (judging pace, etc.) and also a lot of 4-5 footers.
+1 - when I warm up, I usually try to get speed for 40' putts.
My goal is within 6 feet for chips.

GIR's probably are ~25 feet. Of course we all have those "special holes," or get hot for a few holes, where we snuggle the ball closer to the hole in regulation.

15 to 20 but I might be wrong. I have terrible distance judgement. When the irons are dialed in I get close. When they aren't I don't even hit girs as I generally play very aggressive.

I'd guess on a GIR I'd probably be an average of 20-30 feet from the cup. I've always practiced lagging from a long distance, as I see those putts way more often than 10 feet and in.

A GIR is usually about 20 or so. Occasionally I tuck one, but very infrequently.

Lately my wedges have been pretty bad for me, so distance varies pretty wildly. I'd say that right now I can usually get to inside 8' or so with a recovery shot, usually farther from the sand.

15-25 ft range is normal for me

If I hit the green I'm probably far away. If I am scrambling, I'll be closer. Yep, I practice lags and clean ups quite a bit.

Pretty much this. I don't stick a lot of approach shots inside ten feet in regulation.

Back