Nike VR_S Forged Irons Review

You gaming them Trout?

Not yet, but I keep hitting them lol. These and the Pro Combo Cb's. Callaway better hurry up and put their stuff out before I go completely Nike haha!

Anyone still gaming these? I just bought some heads to go along with some C-taper shafts. I'm coming from some Hakusa Prototype Cavuiy backs. I definitely need the forgiveness.

Yep i'm still using my VRS Forged, the best iron i'v used, came from MP53s, my handicap has now come down to 10.6 from 17 (UK handicap) since using these, so impressed with them!!, have gone all Nike now, Covert Performance driver, fairway and hybrids, the new VR forged wedges )unbelievable wedges!!), lol...even the Method concept putter!!, i think Nike will be upgrading the VRS Forged this year, and if they manage to improve on these they will be an amazing iron!!..will be getting them no doubt!!

Still one of my favorite irons released the last couple of years

Still have my components on the shelf waiting to find a good shaft set to put in them. I really want to make that happen sooner than later, they were/are so good.

I'm can't wait to shaft mine up. I'm having C tapers installed in them!

Wanted to wait a bit and get some time in before commenting much on these. I shafted a 5-PW set with 100g Fuji MCI's - mostly looking for help with some pain, but I had a number of heads I could have used. My eyes and heart sort of lean towards this style of iron - something that blends looks, distance, and forgiveness in a Gi package - so they seemed like a good match. I expected I'd find plenty to enjoy about them and that's definitely been the case.

Certainly forgiving. Moreso than I initially expected having played some irons I think incorporate advanced technology in that area (tungsten weighting, speed pocket, etc). Would love it if this wasn't the case, but I'm more likely to hit the ball in varying degrees of poor than the alternative, so it's something I look at closely when I'm evaluating something for my own game. Low face misses are treated quite well, with an expected lowering of trajectory, but almost zero distance loss. Obviously the trajectory issue could cause some problems holding a green, but at that point I'm more interested in just not being in water or whatever. Cross face misses don't see as much trajectory loss, but distance is a bit more affected. The big pleasant surprise has been performance on heavy misses. If I hit the ground it's probably because I missed heavy, and I can think of two times in particular from a recent round where that occured and I ended up with a GAIR - one on the front fringe and the other just short of pin high to the left on the fringe. Converted both for par on pretty bad misses, so that's a big deal. Basically, the sole wasn't digging for me, but sort of glided out. I know this set has that beveled leading edge, which may explain what I was seeing there.

As for distance, I'd say equal to slightly shorter (like a couple yards on average) than the AP1's across the board. On the monitor I launch this combo higher with about the same spin rate, which for a guy that already launches the ball higher than optimal generally means a touch less ball speed. Again though, we're talking minute differences. I'm still using the same club for the same distances since I'm not pinpoint to begin with.

Feel is nice on the center. Responsive enough to easily know where I missed when I did. Not quite as solid/lower toned as the AP1's, but no better or worse.

Thats really good stuff Hawk.

Solid set of irons for sure. I would like to hit the new ones next to them, because I really didn't get the same general feeling from them. Could have just been that it was my third round of the year too.

Good stuff Hawk.

Did you see the trajectory you expected with these (assuming you have tried these shafts out before?) And what are your overall thoughts about this combo compared to your experiences with the VRS before?

Solid set of irons for sure. I would like to hit the new ones next to them, because I really didn't get the same general feeling from them. Could have just been that it was my third round of the year too.

Similar for me. I found the design offered a bit more forgiveness out towards the toe, but sacrificed a bit low on the club face.

Good stuff Hawk.

Did you see the trajectory you expected with these (assuming you have tried these shafts out before?) And what are your overall thoughts about this combo compared to your experiences with the VRS before?

Launch numbers were higher than I expected, and on the range I'm seeing a (for me) quite high flight. The TT's I had the shafts in before didn't really deliver that kind of launch angle, so either I changed or there's some difference in weighting playing a role.

I will just say I didn't love the new irons. I thought for the money there were better 2014 options. That sounds pretty dumb considering I do like these, but can only go with how I felt at the time.

Excellent Hawk. I enjoyed these quite a bit on the range but never gamed them. I do like the looks.

My miss tends to be thin/heelside, so the VRS was giving me better numbers than the Covert forged, since they moved the CG further out relative to the VR_S.

http://nikeinc.com/news/new-nike-vrs-covert-forged-irons-are-longer-and-hotter

“Our research shows that more than 80 percent of player impact is between the center and the toe side of an iron,” Savage adds. “So another key focus on this product was to shift the center of gravity to the center of the face. By moving the true sweet spot to the area where most people hit the ball, we enhanced the iron’s feel and improved off center performance by as much as 17 percent.”

My miss tends to be thin/heelside, so the VRS was giving me better numbers than the Covert forged, since they moved the CG further out relative to the VR_S.

http://nikeinc.com/news/new-nike-vrs-covert-forged-irons-are-longer-and-hotter

“Our research shows that more than 80 percent of player impact is between the center and the toe side of an iron,” Savage adds. “So another key focus on this product was to shift the center of gravity to the center of the face. By moving the true sweet spot to the area where most people hit the ball, we enhanced the iron’s feel and improved off center performance by as much as 17 percent.”

Now I kind of want to try these out, sicne when I miss its usually on the toe more times then not (followed up by low)

Now I kind of want to try these out, sicne when I miss its usually on the toe more times then not (followed up by low)

Both sets of clubs are great. Pretty much my ideal profile - a good deal of forgiveness in a nice looking head. Stock shaft is a bit on the light side for me - even though I'm not a big hitter, I get better results with something in the 115-120g range vs 100.

A few more outings and continue to be impressed with what I'm seeing out of the VRS/MCI combo.

I do like the squared off look at address. Picking up my AP1's yesterday reminded me just how rounded those irons look. Not that it bothered me at the time, but just noticeable after some time away from them.

My distance right now is pretty good with these on well struck shots. I typically account for misses when picking a club to hit, so 150 club often becomes a 140 club by default, but that's the life of a crappy golfer. Good example was a shot I had into a green yesterday. Accounted for and executed my common miss (lol) and got the exact yardage I was hoping for - though the ball moved about 2 yards too left on me and I went splash city.

I'm enjoying some confidence in the 115-125 range thanks to the set wedges. A yardage I don't see a whole lot of unfortunately lol. I did capitalize on the times I was there though.

Seeing a bit of rollout on most approach shots, with that increasing as I get into the mid irons - a byproduct of the lower spin I put on the ball. A short iron or wedge will be within 5-10 feet of the pitchmark, but a 5 iron for example could roll out a good 30 feet or more. Something I have to account for, but I've got a solid grasp on it assuming the hole allows it. It does bite me at times - one example would be yesterday into a green when I caught a shelf on the front of the green that ate up my roll - leaving me in threeputtsville. Another example would be a longer par 3 that had a lot of forced carry. I clubbed up to cover the yardage I needed to carry, but as a result was left off the back of a pretty shallow green since the ball had some ground it needed to cover. That's just a swing thing though. Hybrid would likely cure it as I move into the 5 iron range.

Directional miss tends to be a pulled hook or straight hook, with varying severity. Common miss for me when I dive and get out in front of the ball. I can cover my expected yardage if it's off the center of the face, but it seems the better I hit it in that scenario, the farther offline I am. Miss on the face is low or toe, with some distance loss, but many times a reasonable outcome. Certainly is consistent as long as I don't go scooping too bad, so I can be relatively confident that all but the worst misses will get over trouble.

We'll see what happens post Morgan Cup. The one thing these irons really have going for them is a shaft I want to play and one that has been relatively kind to my stupid hand injury. I can see pulling the shafts and popping them in the mystery irons for sure, but certainly could play this combo and do well with it any day of the week as well.

These look like they are scheduled to get delivered today. Can't wait to get them out to the range.

Nippon shafts, or are you putting something else in there?

How were they Dean?

Nippon shafts, or are you putting something else in there?

Nippon shafts for now. They felt good last night. Part of me wants to tinker and add a KBS shaft or back to graphite for me. Although I doubt I will make any real change before the end of our season.

Nippon shafts for now. They felt good last night. Part of me wants to tinker and add a KBS shaft or back to graphite for me. Although I doubt I will make any real change before the end of our season.

The Nippon is a good fit, but the KBS Tour in the Covert Forged felt about perfect to me when I demoed them, especially in the short irons.

Just curious about why you are making the change. Honest question.

Just curious about why you are making the change. Honest question.

change to these irons? back to steel? or thinking about changing the nippons?

Back