The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little late evening early night range session. Not much time left. Going to spend more time practicing and less time playing leading up. Really worked on plane tonight and I couldn't be happier. Still some inconsistencies with the driver I need to work on. I believe it's my takeaway that needs work but my irons and wedges are absolutely on point!!

When I got to the range.

nenuredu.jpg

When I left.

gy4yju4u.jpg

At the top with a 6 iron.

a7u5eqyj.jpg

Finish.

geve9y6a.jpg

Spent some time at the short game area at my local course this morning. Man it was hot. ..

Anyway I just worked on the short game. 75-125 yard shots today. I need to keep that part of my game sharp since it is a strength of mine.

I thought about hiring the range and working on the driver but the heat made me bow out.

Chipping for an hour, then half swings w 9 iron for a bucket, driver/4w for a bucket. Left before putting, the greens are too spotty post aeration for any serious work. Damn hot, and humid for a change.

Release the putter Sanford... release the putter.

I had a good session this morning, I spent the better part of the time hitting 8 and 5 irons out of a bunker trying to work on ball striking. I had a few duds when by lower body got busy but when I was able to keep things quiet I was striping them on the center of the face. Good drill if you need to work on contact.

Went to the range today for the first time in a couple of weeks. I have a fitting coming up on Monday and wanted to get a range session in to see where my swing was before Monday. I haven't been playing a ton this year, but when I've played I've been a lot more successful with my irons as opposed to my long clubs. So naturally today, I hit my driver really well while my irons weren't all that good. There was one thing that I was working on: getting my backswing more upright. It tends to get flat, and while I can play that way with my irons, it leads to a 2-way miss with my longer clubs. I was seeing some really good ballflights with my driver by feeling like I'm just lifting my arms straight upward on the backswing, when in reality I'm still making a turn along with the arm lift. However, trying to do the same thing with the irons was a bit tougher, which doesn't make sense to me because it should be easier to swing upright with an iron than a driver. Nevertheless, I was afraid that I would go into my fitting and hit the driver poorly and not get good numbers, but after today's session, I think that I should be able to get some good data from the driver. With the irons, I'll just need to settle down and hit some good shots and trust my swing.

Got off work early so I hit the range for a bit. Boy I am glad I did. Really hitting everything well. Such a confidence building session. Everything was feeling good today, even driver. Feel like this work I've been putting in is starting to pay off and it's really nice to get a bit of confidence back with the driver.

Went out back with my 54* and new 58* to just work on soft pitches, I set up two hula hoops 15 yards apart and just tried to get the ball to bounce in front of the hoop then in. It wasn't too bad, my lawn needs a mowing so I had my choice of thicker cuts to work with. When I aim at a spot around 2" behind the ball and make a conscious effort to think about sliding the head under the ball, I do OK. I had 3 opportunities this past weekend where I needed a soft landing, a bump and run wouldn't work, and I botched all 3.

On a side note, I grabbed 2 of the free B330s I got with an e6 dozen; maybe it's just because I *wanted* them to do it, but I noticed those balls bounced around the least after landing. And they felt great on every hit.

Played a round solo on the home course because I did not feel like sitting at the range--made it an ultimate practice round since I was able to try several shots from different distances to real greens. I wish the course was empty enough to do it more often!

Had another nice session on the range tonight. Working on tempo and had it right this evening. The swing is so effortless and ball striking is so pure when my tempo is right. Even range work is fun when this happens. Finished it off with chipping and putting, as usual. Oh, and all that pain free on this night. Very encouraging on all fronts. Looking forward to tomorrow and a round of golf.

Just went to the range and hit my new (used) Titleist 910F 4w, Cobra Trusty Rusty 57, and Mizuno MP-R12 56. Really impressed with all of them. 910F is super straight and easy to elevate off the deck or tee, and I've got a heavier shaft in it than my Mashie F3 which seems to minimize my hook miss. Wedges are both great, particularly on the half and 3/4 shots. Just need to get the Mizuno bent to 54* to fit into my gapping. Wasn't looking to change wedges, but I just may change for a round or two and see what happens.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Worked in the yard with the inside approach training aid, I fight an OTT move.
Swung roughly 100x with driver, Hybo's, and irons, cant hit balls but want to groove the swing.

This training aid has me fired up, the feeling of NOT coming over the top is pretty sweet!!

This is something I WILL continue to use!

Had a great range session yesterday, even into the 25 mph wind we were hitting into (the we is my girlfriend, he cousin, and myself). Was striking the ball well with the exception of a couple iron chunks, but the long sticks were purely on all range session. I'm trying to find the time right now to keep things going and good range sessions like this help.

I went to the range Mon, tues and wed, Monday was horrible, no tempo just hacking at the ball like a gorilla on steroids, went back Tuesday and it was like night and day, found my tempo and hit the ball well, Wednesday was the same kept the tempo good and hit them well, just hoping I can take that to the course on Saturday,

Pitch shots in the yard. Wife is away, so flower pots are the targets tonight.

Putting in the basement.... I really want to make an outdoor green. Putting in a straight line, at the same target over and over gets tiresome.

Range was closed today for a club party that I wanted no part of so I did some carpet putting after fishing. My putting has been so inconsistent this year. It needs the work, bad.

Ball striking was good today!!!
9udyne5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short game lesson this morning at the Jim McLean golf school in Doral. They were offering discounted lessons on July 4th so I thought I'd give them a try again. We started on the putting green and he took video of my stroke on lag putts. The video showed my follow thru is almost twice as long as the takeaway. It's tough to be consistent with that stroke so he showed me a yard stick drill where I can practice an even stroke. Also showed me the gate drill with tees as a few putts were towards the toe.

Chipping and flop shots were next. Bump and run with PW to about 25 ft went very well and he liked it. I asked if we can work on the dreaded flop shot over a bunker so we gave that a go. He changed a few things opening the clubface with shaft leaning back towards my belt buckle. This made it a lot easier to flop the ball high and onto the green.

Overall it was a good lesson and I like the instructor. We talked about a package deal but by the hour it's double what I pay currently. The practice facilities are amazing and it's 5 minutes from my house so I need to see if it's worth it.

Range time tomorrow to get back some things I lost in my round thursday. Think im awingjng a little to hard and my feet have gotten to close together.

Spent 2.5 hours today practicing, pretty evenly split between range time working on the full swing and short game practice chipping and putting. Made some improvement with my short game for sure, had somehow worked a flip into chip shots and had become very inconsistent. Got back to hitting down and through on chips and now I am confident of getting up and down much more often than not.

Had some time for a range session today.

Started with chipping from a few yards off the green. Was making some solid contact but need to shorten swing as I was long more times than I would want.

Range started off shaky. Kind of in between 2 swings and way too many swing thoughts. Walked away then came back and started hitting the ball really well with my 7i. Still had some misses but most were lot thin and right which is a win for me.

Can still feel the lower body slide on occasion. Need to work that part out.

Back to the range early tomorrow morning I think.

Had some time for a range session today.

Started with chipping from a few yards off the green. Was making some solid contact but need to shorten swing as I was long more times than I would want.

Range started off shaky. Kind of in between 2 swings and way too many swing thoughts. Walked away then came back and started hitting the ball really well with my 7i. Still had some misses but most were lot thin and right which is a win for me.

Can still feel the lower body slide on occasion. Need to work that part out.

Back to the range early tomorrow morning I think.

I love that you are dedicating range time to short game and wedge work dude.

Just got done working with some putting practice and irons. Really worked hard for half an hour on up and downhill speeds. Didn't work on hitting the hole, just put a ball marker down and either hit it or get within a foot or two. Defiantly seeing progress so that's great. Going to see how that goes tomorrow as me and PArshooter are playing a course we haven't been to. Then it was onto irons. Man so happy about how I am hitting my irons now and just loving that feel when striked correctly. Actually pulled the 60° wedge out of the bag and put the 4 iron in as I have been playing alot of 5 and 6 iron off the tee lately and finding the fairway on short par 4's.Going to see how that goes tomorrow also.

Are you still putting with the claw grip? How is your speed control on long putts? A little work and you should be a force in the MC buddy.

Oh yeah the Claw is staying Randy. And my speed control is getting alot better. Really reading the greens better and being aggressive on uphill putts, and nice and soft on downhill putts. Still got some time and will continue to practice.
Are you still putting with the claw grip? How is your speed control on long putts? A little work and you should be a force in the MC buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back